Discuss the new guitarist.... Ron Thal!

GET OFF AXLS BACK

The two weeks thing might not be accurate but I know for sure that he didn't have that much time to rehearse.

First, he was very very busy with his own last album + his job as a producer.

Second, his european tour that was supposed to take place in June got cancelled only a week ago.

http://bumbleforum.lesvilles.org/viewtopic.php?t=1770

and I don't think his first experience with Axl 2 years ago (all of u GNR fans should know about that) made him feel like rehearse GNR material.

All of us Bumblefoot fans can't believe he came back to GNR after what happened, and we are as surprised as you GNR fans... but we are very happy for him, he really deserves such a spot.

Of course he'll never replace Slash (he said it himself) in the hearts of the hardcore fans. But what about the new drummer, bass player and the two other guitar players??

In my opinion, the TRUE gnr died long ago with the split up. But as I grew and learned the guitar with GNR and Slash, I'm really happy to see that Axl finally make things happen and Bumblefoot is an excellent choice.

His very very different from Slash or Izzy, but I think it's better not to have a clone of Slash... what would be the point? Plus Slash is unique. So Axl's idea to bring original characters (like BH or BBF)into the band is very clever and can only add interest to the "new" GNR.

Anyway, I'm afraid I won't convince anyone tonight.

Great post.

I agree that he's talented, but I just thought he looked overwhelmed last night - which is understandable at the beginning - as he stuck to the side of the stage for most of the evening. I also didn't think he chose guitar solos that really allowed him to showcase his talent. Hopefully, as he gets more comfortable and gels with the band, his true talent will shine through. We'll have to wait and see.

Personally, I don't understand why talented guitarists - like Buckethead and Ron - need a cheap gimmick (like wearing a bucket or using a cartoon "foot" guitar) to draw attention to themselves. I think their talent should speak for itself. But that's just me.

Just picture Ron in the November Rain video instead of Slash, standing on that Piano doing an amazing solo(which he is capable of)....on a foot. :blink: We are never going to hear the end of this.

I have to admit I laughed out loud picturing that. :laugh:

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RonMexico82

Whoever had a word with Robin and bought him a mirror and stole his makeup should now turn their attention to Ron and steal his stupid guitar and make it go wherever Buckethead went.

Wow guys...I'm talking to Ron himself!

Can't give you a link though. Anything you want me to ask him?

Ask him how much did his mother pay for his guitar at Toys R Us

oops I forgot appearance was more important than the music itself...

:blink:

that's a normal reaction actually... Ron doesn't fit in the poser "look-at-me-before-you-listen" attitude...

so some of you are disturbed :kiss:

"shit he's too hairy to be in GNR! he's gonna scare the girls away with his ugly guitar...what a loser! where is his leather jacket?" :confused:

sorry to be a little bitter but I find it so stupid to bash someone on his style or his physical appearance...

a few pics with different looks, if that's what you want

Thal.JPG

Bumblefoot-20021130-Paris-France.jpg

Bumblefoot-1995-aobf-1.jpg

and this is his new signature model: (more regular)

http://www.vigierguitars.com/GCatalog/IVE6BF_NAM.HTM

and to perfectly honest, I love his foot guitar, I've already tried it and it's amazing beyond belief...

...but I agree it doesn't really fit in GNR... proof is you guys don't like it.

However, this guitar is very special for him, it has been designed especially for him (there's only one model), so I'd understand if he chose to play it on stage.

and seriously, it's not worse that a goddamn KFC bucket!!!! But I'm sure BH had his share of bashing at the time!

Whoever had a word with Robin and bought him a mirror and stole his makeup should now turn their attention to Ron and steal his stupid guitar and make it go wherever Buckethead went.

Wow guys...I'm talking to Ron himself!

Can't give you a link though. Anything you want me to ask him?

Ask him how much did his mother pay for his guitar at Toys R Us

I'm telling the truth but fine just ignore what I said

I admit he isn't the shredder that Buckethead was, and was a little "slow" coming out of the gates - but I still prefer him over Buckethead.

As somebody mentioned, he's only been with the band for about two weeks, so he's probably a little shell-shocked right now - which would explain the "deer caught in the headlights" kind of image he had last night. I think that over time he'll settle in, get more comfortable with the band, and hopefully choose better guitar solos that will allow his talent his shine.

*Ron - don't be afraid to move around the stage and interact with the other band members. You're part of the band now!*

Respect to Ron. Learning to play xx songs in 2 weeks time. rock1

I'm talking to Ron on a Java chat thingy. He seems like a great guy. He was seeing what other people thought of him. But I took care of the negative cunt that was in the chat room (he was like 'Guns N' Roses aren't musicians, they don't make music, Axl is a Rockstar not a musician, etc...although he had no valid points so hey fuck him). He said the best part was hanging out with the fans after the concert. Said it was nice. And he doesn't really mind if he goes by Bumblefoot or Ron Thal, 'Hey you!! works' lol.

He said GN'R are nice to work with. He's gone now but that was great talking to him!

Edited by GNR'R

that's a normal reaction actually... Ron doesn't fit in the poser "look-at-me-before-you-listen" attitude...

I haven't heard anybody complain about Ron's appearance/image. :huh: He looked great and totally fit in with the band's image. It was a welcome sight to see after buckethead's image. I think most of the concerns about Ron have revolved around his lack of stage presence - and how he "hid" glued to the side of the stage for most of the night - and his weak guitar solos during the show. But - as many have mentioned - he hasn't been with the band very long and hopefully will gain confidence and gel with the band over time.

. However, this guitar is very special for him, it has been designed especially for him (there's only one model),...

Only one model huh? Gee that's a shocker. I would have thought guitarists would have been lining up around the block to score a cartoon-like shaped foot guitar. *Sorry for the sarcasm*.. Seriously, I respect the guy and how much he's accomplished in learning the new material in such a short period of time.

I haven't heard anybody complain about Ron's appearance/image. :huh: He looked great and totally fit in with the band's image. It was a welcome sight to see after buckethead's image. I think most of the concerns about Ron have revolved around his lack of stage presence - and how he "hid" glued to the side of the stage for most of the night - and his weak guitar solos during the show. But - as many have mentioned - he hasn't been with the band very long and hopefully will gain confidence and gel with the band over time.

. However, this guitar is very special for him, it has been designed especially for him (there's only one model),...

Only one model huh? Gee that's a shocker. I would have thought guitarists would have been lining up around the block to score a cartoon-like shaped foot guitar. *Sorry for the sarcasm*.. Seriously, I respect the guy and how much he's accomplished in learning the new material in such a short period of time.

:rofl-lol: Damn I wish I could see them in New York :(

hey madison!

some people did make fun of his appearance (read the earlier pages).

Some made fun of his hairy chest, others posted pics and made fun of them... have a look and u'll see!

"Only one model huh? Gee that's a shocker. I would have thought guitarists would have been lining up around the block to score a cartoon-like shaped foot guitar."

I admit that was funny! :)

I'm talking to Ron on a Java chat thingy. ... He's gone now but that was great talking to him!

Did you ask him whether this is a temporary gig, or whether he's in the band now?

And if you didn't ask him that, then why the fuck not?

hahaha yes

Another thing, Ron was very respectful towards the band, and said they were a great group of musicians. :)

Did he comment on the direction the band was taking? or on playing Buckethead's parts at all?

No sorry, I asked if anyone had any questions for him but I got one ignorant reply. I'll try and get him tommorow for you all.

I'm talking to Ron on a Java chat thingy. ... He's gone now but that was great talking to him!

Did you ask him whether this is a temporary gig, or whether he's in the band now?

And if you didn't ask him that, then why the fuck not?

hahaha yes

I didn't ask that specific question but I assumed he was in the band. I said I'd see him June 9th and he said Download? then I told him Download was later. So he's doing it at least up to Download thats for sure. Probably the whole tour. Take my word for it. I have no reason to lie

Here's something.

*Private message from Guest17403* My favorite thing about last night was sneakin' out the back and hangin' with fans after the show

*Private message from Guest17403* signed a few guitar pickguards...

*Private message from Guest33785 to Guest17403* what, just outside of the ballroom? What was that like?

*Private message from Guest17403* got to just chat with folks - was nice :)

Edited by GNR'R

No sorry, I asked if anyone had any questions for him but I got one ignorant reply. I'll try and get him tommorow for you all.

Uh, couldn't you think of those questions yourself? Gee, everyone is still talking about reunion rumors and you didn't have the presence of mind to fucking ask him whether this was a temporary stint? What the fuck did you ask him? Whether he prefers to go by 'Ron' or 'Bumblefoot'?!!? Dude, you would make a fantastic interviewer. Either you're lying about having talked to him, or you're a fucking idiot.

When I saw the first picture I thought to myself "Oh my lord they got Mike Kennelly to play guitar". A similar style no doubt but upon a closer look I was very impressed with the choice. "Yo Ron, no problem, you can TOTALLY handle this gig. I've got some news for you, the guy only needed two weeks. HE'S A PRO. I bet those European dates of his were a smokescreen and he never intended to play them. I bet he's all over the new record as well. That's what they have been doing since the last tour fell apart becouse Bucket is a transient from outer space who is just visiting our simple backward planet. They bagged a bunch of his "Alien" guitar leads for this new "Human" guy Ron Thal Aka Bumblefoot. It's pathetic to read so many people's opinions about what the guitar this guy is playing looks like. How about how the fucking thing sounds? That might have a little bit to do with why he's in the band. As far as his stage presence goes...Give the guy a fuckin break, it was his first show with Guns N Fuckin Roses fer chrissakes!!. Smart move. This guy could work out for awile. I'm looking foreward to seeing him on stage tomorrow night from the first mezz.

It's On!!

All the best

Drew Stone

www.stonefilmsnyc.com

Edited by Drew Stone

Uh, couldn't you think of those questions yourself? Gee, everyone is still talking about reunion rumors and you didn't have the presence of mind to fucking ask him whether this was a temporary stint? What the fuck did you ask him? Whether he prefers to go by 'Ron' or 'Bumblefoot'?!!? Dude, you would make a fantastic interviewer. Either you're lying about having talked to him, or you're a fucking idiot.

Haha calm down dude, like I said up there, he seems to be in the band. He went out to dinner, he could be on later?!