Discuss the new guitarist.... Ron Thal!

GET OFF AXLS BACK

This guy is Ron Thal. He auditioned for GNR a long time ago (Years). At the time GNR management (Merck no less) denied his involvement after Ron announced via his own website that he was in Guns. He later changed it to say he might be in Guns.. then removed it completely. In the process i think he also criticised the Guns management and told everyone on his messageboard he would NOT answer any more GNR questions.

What i'm saying is that he's had plenty of time to learn the tracks.. and i'm looking forward to hearing him. He already looks better than Bucket. Although Bucket was good.. he didnt really suit GNR imo but i still liked the band with him in it. I think Thal will make a big difference!

As far as i know Ron's BAND was called Bumblefoot he is NOT. He IS Ron Thal. rock3

From this background i also reckon he might be a temporary fixture in the GNR lineup... but who knows.

Edited by Route66

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he knows that he has to keep a low profile since this is temporary.

Why do you think he is temporary...

I don't want to put words in madison's mouth (correct me if I get anything wrong madison)...but madison said Slash may come back although it wouldn't be for these four shows. If he does come back it would be for the Euro tour. A matter of Axl needing to get these shows in for business reasons, and the fact that negotiations with Slash take time.

I don't know if madison still believes this to be possible. Me, I can only hope, and that's no disrespect to Thal (whom I reserve judgement on till I at least see him play tomorrow, and then probably even longer - I think as long as he doesn't use that stupid looking guitar it'll probably be a decent, though not perfect, fit).

The thing that makes me most suspicious though, aside from madison's comments, is that supposedly Thal only auditioned two weeks ago. If he was to always be a permanent member of the band then why wait this long? The band knew about all these shows at least one month ago, and probably longer. So they scheduled things without a guitarist locked in? Then finalized it two weeks before the first show? Makes no sense. Unless they already have someone else in mind and Thal is just a temp.

EDIT: Yes, I know he auditioned a long time ago. By all accounts though, he was not hired at the time.

We'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

Edited by KBear

Maybe he knows that he has to keep a low profile since this is temporary.

Why do you think he is temporary...

I don't want to put words in madison's mouth (correct me if I get anything wrong madison)...but madison said Slash may come back although it wouldn't be for these four shows. If he does come back it would be for the Euro tour. A matter of Axl needing to get these shows in for business reasons, and the fact that negotiations with Slash take time.

I don't know if madison still believes this to be possible. Me, I can only hope, and that's no disrespect to Thal (whom I reserve judgement on till I at least see him play tomorrow, and then probably even longer - I think as long as he doesn't use that stupid looking guitar it'll probably be a decent, though not perfect, fit).

The thing that makes me most suspicious though, aside from madison's comments, is that supposedly Thal only auditioned two weeks ago. If he was to always be a permanent member of the band then why wait this long? The band knew about all these shows at least one month ago, and probably longer. So they scheduled things without a guitarist locked in? Then finalized it two weeks before the first show? Makes no sense. Unless they already have someone else in mind and Thal is just a temp.

EDIT: Yes, I know he auditioned a long time ago. By all accounts though, he was not hired at the time.

We'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

KBear, I'm right with you. First we hear negotiations were taking place with Slash before breaking down, at least temporarily. And then Bumblefoot is rushed in here just a couple weeks before the shows start, maybe because he had already learned some of the material during his past auditions.

If I didn't find it so difficult to believe Slash would want to rejoin GNR at this time, it would seem to add up. Also remember that when Bumblefoot was apparently not hired a year ago or whatever, he said all that good stuff about Slash and how much he admired him. So, he would seem like a friendly, willing temporary replacement if that is indeed what they were looking for.

But again, why would Slash want to rejoin GNR now, and possibly without Duff or any of the old band members? Also, from what I recall, Slash and the others were only going to rejoin for some select summer dates. Slash could sure clear all of this up in one good interview...

As far as i know Ron's BAND was called Bumblefoot he is NOT. He IS Ron Thal. rock3

Ron Thal = Bumblefoot.

Bumblefoot is Ron Thal.

Just like Buckethead is Brian Carroll. Or Slash is Saul Hudson.

Edited by Forsaken

I have only one recording...his band doing fire by jimi and I definitely like his style- some random crazy fretwork but works with the melody and adds some good stuff.

Overall, looking forward to watching what he can do on tommoro

But again, why would Slash want to rejoin GNR now, and possibly without Duff or any of the old band members? Also, from what I recall, Slash and the others were only going to rejoin for some select summer dates. Slash could sure clear all of this up in one good interview...

Actually, I dont' think Slash could clear all this up. Even if he clearly said "I am not, and never again will be in Gn'R" that wouldn't kill the rumors because everyone on this board would be making excuses saying that talks are still progressing and that Slash can't say anything until everything is settled.

This guy freaking sucks. Nice solo Bumblefoot. NOT. I went a took a dump during his solo and it was the best decision I've ever made.

This guy is so not balls to the wall Rock n' Roll. Why does Axl feel the need to hire these schticky guitar players??

This asshole is our "suprise"

WHER IS IZZY?

The show was f-ing awesome

I'm hallucinating... WHO THE F*** ARE YOU to call Ron Thal an asshole and say he sucks?!?!?

ok this is my first post here, so let's calm down...

I know Ron very well, I took lessons with him, I jammed with him on stage and he played a solo on one of my songs.

What other guitar hero would offer all of that to a fan??

and he is a guitar hero in the sense that

1- He can play anything, any style, any technique, ... and he has perfect pitch! Try that with Slash ;)

2- Axl picked him, not someone else. Joe Satriani invited him to play on stage with him. John Petrucci said he couldn't analyse his playing, too hard for him...

ok let's stop here. My point was: please give him a chance. He had 2 weeks to learn all the GNR stuff + he's the nicest man on earth and doesn't deserve so much bashing.

Of course you've got the right not to LOVE him, not to like his playing and style (who cares about his guitars or style of clothes... is it relevant in music?)

but noone should have the right to call someone they don't know an asshole...

You guys are all smoking crap! I went with 7 die-hard guns fans and they all came out saying how lame he was. The guy looked like a dipshit up there. And all of this sharing solos is retarded. This guy is a joke and nowhere near as good as Bucket or Slash

nowhere near as good as Bucket or Slash???? do you play the guitar? I've been playing for 13 years, I love Slash (I started guitar "because of" him), I respect Buckethead a lot, but objectively (and subjectively I must admit) Bumblefoot is way better than the 2 of them put together!! He combines Slash's feeling and BH's technique (even takes it a step further).

Please check out Bumblefoot's work before you judge him. And again, don't base your judgement on one show. He might not be up to the task so far, but who would in 2 weeks?? Let's wait and see guys!

This guy freaking sucks. Nice solo Bumblefoot. NOT. I went a took a dump during his solo and it was the best decision I've ever made.

This guy is so not balls to the wall Rock n' Roll. Why does Axl feel the need to hire these schticky guitar players??

WHER IS IZZY?

I'm hallucinating... WHO THE F*** ARE YOU to call Ron Thal an asshole and say he sucks?!?!?

I know Ron very well, I took lessons with him, I jammed with him on stage and he played a solo on one of my songs.

1- He can play anything, any style, any technique, ... and he has perfect pitch! Try that with Slash ;)

2- Axl picked him, not someone else. Joe Satriani invited him to play on stage with him. John Petrucci said he couldn't analyse his playing, too hard for him...

ok let's stop here. My point was: please give him a chance. He had 2 weeks to learn all the GNR stuff + he's the nicest man on earth and doesn't deserve so much bashing.

Of course you've got the right not to LOVE him, not to like his playing and style (who cares about his guitars or style of clothes... is it relevant in music?)

You guys are all smoking crap! I went with 7 die-hard guns fans and they all came out saying how lame he was. The guy looked like a dipshit up there. And all of this sharing solos is retarded. This guy is a joke and nowhere near as good as Bucket or Slash

nowhere near as good as Bucket or Slash???? do you play the guitar? I've been playing for 13 years, I love Slash (I started guitar "because of" him), I respect Buckethead a lot, but objectively (and subjectively I must admit) Bumblefoot is way better than the 2 of them put together!! He combines Slash's feeling and BH's technique (even takes it a step further).

Please check out Bumblefoot's work before you judge him. And again, don't base your judgement on one show. He might not be up to the task so far, but who would in 2 weeks?? Let's wait and see guys!

good post queef- sorry but this site is a bit...erm...let us say...nostalgic (to say the least)

at least 90% of it.

so there's no reasoning with anyone.

I'm thinking about picking up Bumblefoot's albums, This band got me into Buckethead and now I have his full discography and like it A LOT...p'haps it shall do the same with Ron Thal

WHER IS IZZY?

Wtf are people bashing him for, O yea slash lovers.

Bumblefoot is in and Slash aint if im lucky never will be - don't get me wrong after this version have experienced the rewards they so deserve i would like to see him and Axl do a guess spot or something.

I guess for all the Slashites it sucks to be you today but i have to say as an Axlite its fucking awsome - GnR is back and no ammount of Slashites can spoil it for me ;)