Discuss the new guitarist.... Ron Thal!

GET OFF AXLS BACK

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he knows that he has to keep a low profile since this is temporary.

I have not read all the posts in this thread, but I am in 100% agreement. I sincerely hope this is just temporarily. There is no Slash or Buckethead-style presence anywhere, and he butchers the epic "IRS" solo, not to mention other parts of the song.

Finck looks awesome now without all that goth shit like in 2002.

As far as Bumblefoot goes, well personally I don't like him really. He is a brilliant guitarist, but please, please do not play that goddamn foot guitar at a GNR concert. EVER.

Finck looks awesome now without all that goth shit like in 2002.

As far as Bumblefoot goes, well personally I don't like him really. He is a brilliant guitarist, but please, please do not play that goddamn foot guitar at a GNR concert. EVER.

Too late, he already did :(<_<

Guest RonMexico82

I think this whole Ron Thal thing is kind of weird and doesn't make much sense.

1: Some people say that he has had only two weeks to rehearse with the band and others say he auditoned 2 years ago.

Now lets say the two weeks ago thing is true. Does anyone else find this a bit unbelievable given that they are about to embark on a European tour? 2 fucking weeks? Isn't Ron Thal filling the lead guitarist spot once occupied by Buckethead and Slash? Yet from what we hear from the people who were at the concert last night he seemed to only play a bit part role, with Finck doing most of the solos and therefore being more of a lead guitarist than anybody. From what I have heard, namely SCOM, Finck was pretty good. So why is Ron Thal even necessary?

I think given his less than impressive debut (based on the reviews), then Ron Thal is indeed only with the band two weeks which is ridiculous. Whats with the last minute join up? The reports of him auditioning two years ago seem to be pretty accurate also, so why wait until two weeks before a make or break tour to hire a new guy and therefore dramatically increase your chances of having embarrassing fuck ups and a lead guitar player who bores a crowd with his solo that they start sitting down. This is really odd, and now with all these talks of Slash being in talks with Axl (as Madison claimed she heard from a source) this is just adding more confusion to the topic. Was Ron Thal the first choice or was he a last minute replacement for somebody else? Hopefully Slash's interview tonight will clear things up a bit as regards the rumours concerning him. Hopefully in the next three shows Ron actually shows why Axl thought he was needed in the first place.

Guest RonMexico82

My how GNR has changed over the years

After this guy left...

velvetrevolver_gallery__366x550.jpg

we waited around for a decent replacement and eventually got this guy for a while...

409472_buckethead_200x200.jpg

who then got fired only to be replaced two weeks before their make or break tour by this guy...

659-Bumblefoot-ron-Thal.gif

I feel like we have been on an episode of Punk'd since '96

After this guy left...

we waited around for a decent replacement and eventually got this guy for a while...

who then got fired only to be replaced two weeks before their make or break tour by this guy...

True :drevil:

I mean - I'll wait to pass any judgement on his guitar-playing skills, but everyone's got to admit - well - :laugh:

After this guy left...

True :drevil:

I mean - I'll wait to pass any judgement on his guitar-playing skills, but everyone's got to admit - well - :laugh:

What if he is intentionally meant to be weird/funny?

Then I reckon a lot more people will not have a problem with him :monkey:

Moops thoughts on Ron Thal:

He's incredibly weird... not in the psychological way... but in the way he's presented. In some pictures he looks kick ass...

bumblefoot_300.jpg

But other pictures... well...

Bumble-0695.jpg

I really hope he doesn't play a few GN'R concerts shirtless. No one wants to see hairy titties. Although, I haven't seen any pictures of him from Hammerstein... who knows? Maybe he's lost alot of weight since those other pictures were taken. But either way, I hope he still does that Rob Zombie look.

The two weeks thing might not be accurate but I know for sure that he didn't have that much time to rehearse.

First, he was very very busy with his own last album + his job as a producer.

Second, his european tour that was supposed to take place in June got cancelled only a week ago.

http://bumbleforum.lesvilles.org/viewtopic.php?t=1770

and I don't think his first experience with Axl 2 years ago (all of u GNR fans should know about that) made him feel like rehearse GNR material.

All of us Bumblefoot fans can't believe he came back to GNR after what happened, and we are as surprised as you GNR fans... but we are very happy for him, he really deserves such a spot.

Of course he'll never replace Slash (he said it himself) in the hearts of the hardcore fans. But what about the new drummer, bass player and the two other guitar players??

In my opinion, the TRUE gnr died long ago with the split up. But as I grew and learned the guitar with GNR and Slash, I'm really happy to see that Axl finally make things happen and Bumblefoot is an excellent choice.

His very very different from Slash or Izzy, but I think it's better not to have a clone of Slash... what would be the point? Plus Slash is unique. So Axl's idea to bring original characters (like BH or BBF)into the band is very clever and can only add interest to the "new" GNR.

Anyway, I'm afraid I won't convince anyone tonight.

Guest RonMexico82

In fairness I could have put a much better photo of Ron Thal in there, BUT, I was making a point. Buckethead turned this band into a laughing stock in the media and after he left we all thought that was behind us, because lets face it everybody is going to compare the new guy to Slash, however now we are going to have to put up with people digging up photos of Ron's "humourous" side which doesn't do the band any favours.

Just picture Ron in the November Rain video instead of Slash, standing on that Piano doing an amazing solo(which he is capable of)....on a foot. :blink: We are never going to hear the end of this.

The two weeks thing might not be accurate but I know for sure that he didn't have that much time to rehearse.

First, he was very very busy with his own last album + his job as a producer.

Second, his european tour that was supposed to take place in June got cancelled only a week ago.

http://bumbleforum.lesvilles.org/viewtopic.php?t=1770

and I don't think his first experience with Axl 2 years ago (all of u GNR fans should know about that) made him feel like rehearse GNR material.

All of us Bumblefoot fans can't believe he came back to GNR after what happened, and we are as surprised as you GNR fans... but we are very happy for him, he really deserves such a spot.

Of course he'll never replace Slash (he said it himself) in the hearts of the hardcore fans. But what about the new drummer, bass player and the two other guitar players??

In my opinion, the TRUE gnr died long ago with the split up. But as I grew and learned the guitar with GNR and Slash, I'm really happy to see that Axl finally make things happen and Bumblefoot is an excellent choice.

His very very different from Slash or Izzy, but I think it's better not to have a clone of Slash... what would be the point? Plus Slash is unique. So Axl's idea to bring original characters (like BH or BBF)into the band is very clever and can only add interest to the "new" GNR.

Anyway, I'm afraid I won't convince anyone tonight.

welcome to the board :)

I for one am excited as hell to see bumblefoot on stage with my favorite guitarist ever rock2 :xmasssanta: I think Axl made a great choice here.

In fairness I could have put a much better photo of Ron Thal in there, BUT, I was making a point. Buckethead turned this band into a laughing stock in the media and after he left we all thought that was behind us, because lets face it everybody is going to compare the new guy to Slash, however now we are going to have to put up with people digging up photos of Ron's "humourous" side which doesn't do the band any favours.

Just picture Ron in the November Rain video instead of Slash, standing on that Piano doing an amazing solo(which he is capable of)....on a foot. :blink: We are never going to hear the end of this.

Well, I've only ever seen one photo of Ron and is humerous side and that's the one you posted above. All the others are either really good or bad only because of his titties.

And yes, I can actually picture (the thin version) Ron Thal playing atop a piano during NR. Sure, it'd be a big transition from Slash to Thal but I still think it'd fit.

EDIT: Haha, I like your name, Queef.

Edited by Moop

He's incredibly weird... not in the psychological way... but in the way he's presented. In some pictures he looks kick ass...

bumblefoot_300.jpg

Bumble-0695.jpg

I really hope he doesn't play a few GN'R concerts shirtless. No one wants to see hairy titties. Although, I haven't seen any pictures of him from Hammerstein... who knows? Maybe he's lost alot of weight since those other pictures were taken. But either way, I hope he still does that Rob Zombie look.

Hairy titties, flab, and his underwear is showing. :no::lol: There's one pic of him floating around here (with a brown shirt on) where he looks positively obese.

But he looks cool in the first pic.

I know looks aren't everything, but GN'R used to have a pretty consistent kick ass image all the way around. It was just a cool vibe they gave off and I am sorry Slash haters (hard to believe so-called GN'R fans could have such little respect for the man, but a segment here obviously hates him), but that counts for something.

Not judging Thal until I see how he presents himself as a GN'R member. The foot guitar (which he supposedly didn't use thank God) is just not something I want associated with GN'R. It's something that is comical and fits more with clownish bands like Blink 182, for lack of a better example. Or maybe Tommy Lee, he's got a foot fetish or so he says. :rofl-lol: Bucket had a gimmick but it wasn't ha ha funny, it was dark and mysterious and it fit in better than a bumble bee/foot guitar would. Doesn't seem Thal will use this guitar though, so that's cool.

Edited by KBear

I guess for all the Slashites it sucks to be you today but i have to say as an Axlite its fucking awsome - GnR is back and no ammount of Slashites can spoil it for me ;)

How fucking sad do you and others here have to be to refer to yourselves like this, I'm surprised your even allowed to listen to Gnr cause god knows how young you are.

As for Bumblefoot, I wouldn't of chose him, from peoples reviews he wasn't that important to the concert.

I'd love Buckethead to return though.

::BR::

Guest RonMexico82

Agreed Ron Thal does have a side to him that more than fits with GNR but he also has a side that we don't need to see. Hopefully in the next few shows he will get more confident, show us what he can really do, and with a little luck get rushed by a crazy who will promptly get a bumblefoot down his throat (that retarded looking guitar, not Ron) :P

bumblefoot_300.jpg

Bumble-0695.jpg

Hairy titties, flab, and his underwear is showing. :no::lol: There's one pic of him floating around here (with a brown shirt on) where he looks positively obese.

But he looks cool in the first pic.

I know looks aren't everything, but GN'R used to have a pretty consistent kick ass image all the way around. It was just a cool vibe they gave off and I am sorry Slash haters (hard to believe so-called GN'R fans could have such little respect for the man, but a segment here obviously hates him), but that counts for something.

Not judging Thal until I see how he presents himself as a GN'R member. The foot guitar (which he supposedly didn't use thank God) is just not something I want associated with GN'R. It's something that is comical and fits more with clownish bands like Blink 182, for lack of a better example. Or maybe Tommy Lee, he's got a foot fetish or so he says. :rofl-lol: Bucket had a gimmick but it wasn't ha ha funny, it was dark and mysterious and it fit in better than a bumble bee/foot guitar would. Doesn't seem Thal will use this guitar though, so that's cool.

He did use the foot-guitar at one point, I saw a picture. But I think it was only when he had his own solo thing

hey dick heads, calm down...it was his first show with such a big band......I doubt Bumblefoot has been in a crowd of Rock fans like GNR fans.......he was probably shitting in his pants, to having been on a same stage with Axl Rose.

As for the guys talent....what? he's no good?!? ....you got to be shitting me :rofl-lol: it's obvious that you morons don't know what you talking about!......go listen to his music before you say the guy sucks, you idiots! :rolleyes:

Edited by Funeral

Guest RonMexico82

That guitar is hideous just like his other guitar that looks like a giant hand, and apparently he has another one that looks like a lump of cheese. WTF! Nothing beats a Gibson Les Paul or a Strat in terms of aesthetics. Clearly he has no shame. A Gibson Les Paul is like a Ferrari. A Bumblefoot custom is like a toddlers rattle.

bumblefoot_300.jpg

Bumble-0695.jpg

Well, since he's a member of Guns, he can afford to do cocaine(errr...SPLENDA)!! That should help in the 'weight loss department'.