Axl - at the top of his game at RIR?

madison

I have to say I thought Axl really looked and sounded like he was at the top of his game during the RIR show. I can't ever remember seeing him sing with such confidence, vocal consistency, and well-timed stage moves as he did tonight. This was definitely a different Axl from the one we saw in 2002.

His voice remained solid from start to finish - His voice didn't go into "helium" mode - which seems to happen when he gets tired or stressed - at all this evening! It was solid. *I know many people have complained about the sound of the streamed show -- but folks that's the AOL feed/mix -- NOT the way the show sounded in Lisbon.*

I thought Axl was energetic - but carefully chose his moments to run from one end of the stage to the other so that it didn't affect his vocals. (This was a far cry from RIR four years ago - when he just randomly ran around the stage through the whole show, knocking over cameramen and bumping into other bandmembers, and generally tiring his voice out). He's learned that he can be energetic and charismatic without running around during the entire show. I find the "new" Axl plays "with" his bandmates more than the old Axl: There's a chemistry there that wasn't there four years ago.

He's also clearly listened to what fans have been saying and complaining about - everything from his clothes (I counted at least three different changes of clothes - which I'm guessing is to address the whiners who started multiple threads asking if Axl owned any other clothes. :rolleyes: ) - to the comment, where he imitated fans who were complaining that he wasn't doing any rants. Pretty funny.

Did anyone else find that he seemed genuinely - dare I say - happy out there? His moves were animated and concise, his voice solid, and nothing seemed to upset him. There was almost a cerebral calmness in his eyes, which I don't ever remember seeing before - not even at the Hammerstein shows. Awesome.

Sorry for the long rant ...

Your thoughts? Do you see a "new" Axl? One who's in top form?

awesome post madison, axl is definately on top of his game now and he looks happier and more confident than ever, i can't wait to see what he has been building up as part of this masterplan for the past few years, the axl i saw last night is an axl ready to take over the world again. :shades:

You tell 'em Maddy and Speedy! B)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He sure was on top of his game. It really looked like he couldn't be having a better time than on stage, lots of funny jokes, that comment about putting up with him, the way he called us motherfuckers for downloading the leaks :P , he was just enjoying himself and the crowd, which was great and made the concert that much special, with moments like Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Axl really showed confidence on his voice, otherwise he wouldn't have done that old times scream and that interaction with the crowd) and Don't Cry.

Overall, I loved the show. The openers were great and I was really amazed by GNR's performance. I was once a detractor of this new band, but, after seeing them live, I realised that they are Guns N' Roses. They still have it and their style nowadays makes them look like a real band. They have the GNR spirit. Long live Guns N' Roses. I'll be there when they come back to Portugal.

I thought he was average - better than RIR3 vocally but there was more energy at RIR and charisma. He seemed dead last night, like he wasn't really into it at all, and the few moves he did (the snake dance, the spins, etc.) all looked like an old man trying to imitate a younger version of himself. At this point it might be better for him to not even attempt to bring back the old moves because it's not the same. He ran out of steam fast and it went downhill IMO. I also thought Robin Finck absolutely sucked and ruined the chemistry between Fortus and Thal, who were superb.

in my opinion axl should've unveiled new songs, even opened up with one of them! , remember in RIR 2 when the band opened with Pretty Tied up, the whole crowd went fucking nuts! , anyways the aol broadcast was terrible and it kinda made me sad cus i was able to see that pittman sucks!

in my opinion axl should've unveiled new songs, even opened up with one of them! , remember in RIR 2 when the band opened with Pretty Tied up, the whole crowd went fucking nuts! , anyways the aol broadcast was terrible and it kinda made me sad cus i was able to see that pittman sucks!

Yeah, he should have played new songs, or at least done something unique and surprising. It's very stale now - the setlist, everything. And he's lost a lot of the enthusiasm and theatrical spirit he had during RIR - no dramatic intro or farewell speeches, it was just kind of straightforward. Even their PC encore wasn't that amazing, it was a sub-par performance of the song in general if you ask me.

VMAs '02 sucked vocally but goddamnit there was more PASSION in that performance - PC (especially the end) was breathtaking based solely on the mass chaos and energy on Axl's behalf. RIR5 lacked that all very much.

I thought he was average - better than RIR3 vocally but there was more energy at RIR and charisma. He seemed dead last night, like he wasn't really into it at all, and the few moves he did (the snake dance, the spins, etc.) all looked like an old man trying to imitate a younger version of himself. At this point it might be better for him to not even attempt to bring back the old moves because it's not the same. He ran out of steam fast and it went downhill IMO. I also thought Robin Finck absolutely sucked and ruined the chemistry between Fortus and Thal, who were superb.

you've got to be fucking kidding me! :o

axl had more charisma and was more into it last night than ever before, he looked like he had the best time, what the fuck are you on man?! :confused:

Back trolling again dude? :rolleyes:

You must have been watching RIR3 - because I didn't see Axl getting winded at all, and his vocals were dead on (no helium mode) from start to finish.

Please find another thread - or forum - to cupcake.

Everybody, please don't feed the cupcakes, and maybe they'll go away.

Back on topic.

Back trolling again dude? :rolleyes:

You must have been watching RIR3 - because I didn't see Axl getting winded at all, and his vocals were dead on (no helium mode) from start to finish.

Please find another thread - or forum - to cupcake.

Everybody, please don't feed the cupcakes, and maybe they'll go away.

Back on topic.

:rofl-lol: Anyone notice the fact that Axl has pretty much done everything this board has wanted him to do, minus introduce new songs? He has a new look, he's worked on his voice, the chemistry is there with the band, and Ron, the new guy, has not been here long and can nail the parts. Axl has done a fantastic job, and can now show Guns N' Roses as they are supposed to be. I am extremely glad to see that Axl is back and in top-form.

That was the most amazing euphoric experience ever, i wasnt even that drunk!

AXL, last night was as good as ive ever seen.

Stage movement, presence, voice, and most importantly, happiness! yes, axl appeared to be really enjoying himself! suprising i no!

The band were really up for it and together-they sounded fuckin brilliant. My ears are still ringing i have to say.

At the top of his game, yes he is.

Anyone not got tickets for anything yet this summer, just get them paid for!!!! i think they will only get better. (before self destructing at some stage around xmas - lol - hope not)

And to the twats that moan about the odd shitty guitar solo and lack of new material. Think back 6 months..... weve come a fuckin long way. How can anyone moan about what we have now. New material in the future is hopefully on its way, and with it, new hits and a larger more varied setlist. Just enjoy the fact that AXL ROSE and the fantastic band he has behind him are simply brilliant at this moment in time.

RIR WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT LET ANYONE TELL YOU IT WASNT.

rock2

hes lost the growl that he had in the 80s, remember the ritz 88 show from mtv? that was the greatest live show ever, i dont realy like the high pitched singing he does now or they way he sung its so easy didnt sound very good to me, even after the illusion albums came out his singing was diff from the afd days, infact its put me off buying tickets for the uk tour :(

before anyone starts its my opinion and no one has to agree with it, if you enjoyed last night then good

Edited by scottish nutter

hes lost the growl that he had in the 80s, remember the ritz 88 show from mtv? that was the greatest live show ever, i dont realy like the high pitched singing he does now or they way he sung its so easy didnt sound very good to me, even after the illusion albums came out his singing was diff from the afd days, infact its put me off buying tickets for the uk tour :(

before anyone starts its my opinion and no one has to agree with it, if you enjoyed last night then good

i agree with ya, i hate the high pitch voice.

but in saying that last nite was a big improvement of 2002

bumblefoot and richard were cool, still not impressed by robin,

btw i was pissed watching it, but pitman looked liked he had tits :unsure:

For those who were at the show were you pissed off that they didn't play TWAT, Madagascar, and Chinese Democracy or were you going solely to hear the old material?

i wouldn't worry about that. CD material will be played on the US leg, as the record will be released just before that tour. I assure you that will be when you hear the new material.At the moment, i can see a similar setlist in Europe,perhaps maybe one surprise, or 2 at most, but you will hear the majority of chinse democracy live in America.

Thats what it all seems to point to, based on Axl's comments and the shows so far.

Yeah well said Madison, Axl was on 'fire' last night in all senses of the word. My favourite moments were when the lights came up and Axl was standing with a suede jacket on, holding a bottle of Crystal and the end of Jungle from where he shouted 'You're gonna die...' was just special. I don't think I've ever seen a finer performance of that song.

As good as Axl was I think the 3 guitarists completely stole the show. Finck and Fortus in particular. Where the hell has Fortus been hiding? Who knew he could shred like that?! Finck when he ran off the stage and climbed the fence to shake the fans' hands. That was such a rock n' roll thing to do! He certainely has charisma! Bumblefoot's solo in 'November Rain' and when he had the crowd singing 'Don't Cry'. Each were special moments.

Great performance, 2002 for the better or worse is now a memory.

GN'R 2006 - I believe!

PS. Did anyone notice that Chris Pitman was trying to steal the show by making his synths twice as loud as any other instrument? :laugh: Nice one Chris! :rofl-lol:

Perhaps he was genuinly happy because he was showing the world what all his hard work has done. I also think that he hasn't really had a woman in years that he never had troubles with. He's just started dating, so who knows, that could be a boost for him.

Everyone all round has improved since 02. Perhaps the departure of buckethead made this so? Or 4 more years of practise on the songs.

thats great news bro, I was wondering if it would even be smart to buy a ticket because when I saw him in detroit in 2002 he got pissed and cut the show short when his P A cut out a little after showing up an hour and a half late... thanks

:rofl-lol: Anyone notice the fact that Axl has pretty much done everything this board has wanted him to do, minus introduce new songs? He has a new look, he's worked on his voice, the chemistry is there with the band, and Ron, the new guy, has not been here long and can nail the parts. Axl has done a fantastic job, and can now show Guns N' Roses as they are supposed to be. I am extremely glad to see that Axl is back and in top-form.

What I noticed is that when there were complains about the too many too long guitar solos many people said "better then the boring drum solos by Matt Sorum" and soon Axl answered something like "I know many of you will be annoyed by that, a think we don't usually do..." and we had a drum solo.......... :question:

I was there... almost front row... And I can agree with this. He was on top of his game and genuinely very happy. That was because Axl noticed me and how wacko I was there. :P Jumping like crazy and singing so loud that the portuguese were amazed by it. In fact I was jumping around so much that the people gave me some extra space cause they didnt want their feets crushed :rofl-lol: I also sang so loud that now my speaking voice is fucked up. But man it was fun out there.

glad you had good time, ya lucky bastard! :rofl-lol:

I thought he was good vocally. He's not as energetic these days, but that's probably fair enough considering his age. He should never sacrifice his breath/vocals for the sake of running around like a twenty year old.

But, top of his game? C'mon, let's not lose our heads…

Still a very enjoyable show, though. :)

Edited by Dead Flower