Ron Thal,best heavy metal/hard rock guitarist..ever?

Gallagher Rose

What a stupid fucking list. Bumblefoot No 1. Kirk Hamett no 68. Slash 42. Who ever feeds into this is ignorant as hell. No jimmy page no nothing.

most guitar experts would agree with putting bumblefoot at no. 1, he is the most skilled guitar player around and gnr are fucking lucky to have him, he will take us far, trust me. do you really think slash should be ranked at no. 1 just because he was in guns before bumble was? ridicilous. slash isn't even close to the top ten guitar players in the world, especially nowadays.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EVH is better than Slash.

you could also argue Zakk Wylde and Kirk Hammet better, too.

Faster doesn't mean better.

Slash plays with soul.

Zakk Wylde just shreds endlessly.

let me ask you something..would you rather be able to shred/rip it up getting the crowd rooooaring, or would you prefer to be the next James Brown? Soul isnt the only thing that matters, skill is definatly needed, and the only person who can decide if theres soul involved is the player themself, how the hell do you know they dont put their blood, sweat, and hard time into practicing? what do you call that? SOUL, DEDICATION, HARD WORK.

EVH is better than Slash.

you could also argue Zakk Wylde and Kirk Hammet better, too.

Faster doesn't mean better.

Slash plays with soul.

Zakk Wylde just shreds endlessly.

let me ask you something..would you rather be able to shred/rip it up getting the crowd rooooaring, or would you prefer to be the next James Brown? Soul isnt the only thing that matters, skill is definatly needed, and the only person who can decide if theres soul involved is the player themself, how the hell do you know they dont put their blood, sweat, and hard time into practicing? what do you call that? SOUL, DEDICATION, HARD WORK.

I didn't say Zakk Wylde doesn't have soul. I said the sounds that come out of his guitar sound like they have no soul. If I wanted to bore myself to death by listening to mindless shredding, I'd go watch Yngwie Malmsteen.

Slash had been brought into the discussion long before I turned up. :unsure:

Why must you always try and hijack threads with your anti-slash agenda. :(

I think I'm gonna have to follow your lead and report this to the admins. :)

lol go for it. This thread is about Ron Thal, not Slash. And I'm not stooping to your level of insults, and I don't have a hidden agenda/bias against the band. Good luck with that :rofl-lol:

heh, I'm pretty sure he can prove otherwise

I mean he is the biased one here. I support this band 100%.

I dont know.. Considering the length of time Slash has been out of the band, he's not relevant to the discussion about GNR anymore. All bringing Slash into this does is cause the old vs new comparisons which really sucks. Guns N' Roses has nothing to do with Slash now, if I want to talk about Slash I will go to the VR section and do that, or the original gnr section.

His ability to create signature music is certainly something Slash should be proud of.

What does Slash have to do with this?

This sounds so funny to me!

So SLASH has nothing to do with GnR???

He wrote ALL official GnR stuff, he played in EVERY record and he has nothing to do with them...

And Mr Bumbleffot who's only in since ...3 weeks?

Oh well he deserves to be named as a GnR member...hahhahahhaha

He wrote ALL official GnR stuff, he played in EVERY record and he has nothing to do with them...

hahahahahahaha! your so fucking funny!

Gues what, Slash is gone! So shut the fuck up about him. Mr Bumblefoot is in GNR, go back to the VR section cupcake.

hahahahahahaha! your so fucking funny!

Gues what, Slash is gone! So shut the fuck up about him. Mr Bumblefoot is in GNR, go back to the VR section cupcake.

Still I wonder what makes u a fan of GnR...6 "new" songs?

Or u elected Axl to your God and whatever he says and does is law?

What a stupid fucking list. Bumblefoot No 1. Kirk Hamett no 68. Slash 42. Who ever feeds into this is ignorant as hell. No jimmy page no nothing.

There are sooooooooooooooo many guitarists out there a million times better than Page.

and yet they've never made music the caliber of Led Zeppelin.

That wouldn't be too hard to do. Led Zeppelin = most overrated band of all time. Goddamn if I can't stand them.

"Best" is such a subjective word. "Best" at what? Best at playing fast? Best at scales? Best at songwriting? Best stage presence? Etc. Etc.

Bumblefoot may be a technical wiz but his ability to write a song and his stage presence are up for debate. Same with buckethead. If I recall, it was only 2 or 3 years ago when everyone was saying how Buckethead was so amazing, the best in the world, better than Slash, etc. Remind me what he wrote for gnr? Remind me again how long he lasted? He was basically a touring musician for Axl at the end of the day. Until the 'new' guys wrote some classics like the incredibly melodic yet surprisingly simply line in SCOM, then the jury is out. While Slash may not be a technical wiz like Yngwie or Bumblefoot, he has proven time and again his ability to write incredibly catchy riffs that stand the test of time. To me that is the "Best" thing a guitarist can do. There are probably high school kids in band class that are techinically amazing. BUt let's see them write a catchy riff.

It's really no different with lead singers. Axl is a great "rock" singer and we all love his voice. But a true vocalist with perfect pitch or a beautiful voice? Of course not. Most rock singers do not have beautiful voices. There are exceptions like Klau Meine (sp.) from the Scorpions but you don't need great pitch to be a rock vocalist. There are dozens of singers on Broadway with "better" voices than Axl but none of them can do what Axl does 'rock' wise or have his stage presence, song writing ability, or that wail.

EVH is awesome b/c he is technicallly awesome; just listen to eruption. And, he has proven that he can write catchy riffs time and again which stand the test of time.

There are sooooooooooooooo many guitarists out there a million times better than Page.

That wouldn't be too hard to do. Led Zeppelin = most overrated band of all time. Goddamn if I can't stand them.

oh you have no idea how many people have tried

AND FAILED.

That's a very good post, dang10. Thankyou for getting this thread back on track after Axls_Disillusion tried his best to ruin it. :)

Just on Buckethead, though.... While his solo work isn't overly popular, there's no doubting its quality or quantity. But, yes, his impact on GnR was minimal, and will remain that way until Chinese Democracy is released (presuming his stuff is kept).

Thal is just a touring musician at the moment. But a very talented one!

that's a list that seems to focus on pure technical skills. and if that's the way to go then neither slash nor Jimmy Page would fit in. But, if you - as I - don't think that technical skill matters as much as emotion than this list can go suck itself.

I think that it's okey for Thal to be high ranked even on a list based on emotion, but first? don't think so. And btw, as a tip for you, go check in no. 7 - Mattias IA Eklund and his band Freak Kitchen (as a coincidence Thal guestplays on the their latest record), but that band does some serious crazy music but retain quality in the songs.

oh shit.............How can there be better Guitar players that Slash? :o

I see axl's below scott

still love your list

oh shit............How can there be better singer than Axl :0

OOF! that's gotta sting...

Actually, that was a Frontman list, and it's an old one; the new one is in the forum, with Axl higher than Scott.

25. Axl Rose (Guns ‘n’ Roses)

48. Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver)

Pwned :tongue2:

oh you have no idea how many people have tried

AND FAILED.

Agreed. The reason Jimmy Page isn't on there is because he isn't considered a metal guitarist.