• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.. was he ill?

It says diabetes-related

I didn't know he was THAT ill though.

Jesus, this was unexpected :cry:

People who have diabetes usually die that age.

Didn't know that, sorry

My mum's diabetic :blink:

My nan was diabetic and lived to 80 so its not all bad i guess but on the subject of syd, i honestly dont know fuck all about the guy except for the small bits ive read, maybe i should get the first floyd album, anyway R.I.P.

My nan was diabetic and lived to 80 so its not all bad i guess but on the subject of syd, i honestly dont know fuck all about the guy except for the small bits ive read, maybe i should get the first floyd album, anyway R.I.P.

Before you buy the first Floyd album, buy a subscription to Rhapsody or Napster. You'll pay less for that than for one album, but you'll be able to listen to an almost endless supply of albums from anybody, including Pink Floyd. If you listen to "Piper" on Rhapsody and like it, then I suggest buying the actual album so that you can look at the liner notes and pictures and bring the music anywhere.

oh well, another brick in wall i guess.

FUCK YOU!!! YOU FUCKING CUNT!!!

Before you buy the first Floyd album, buy a subscription to Rhapsody or Napster. You'll pay less for that than for one album, but you'll be able to listen to an almost endless supply of albums from anybody, including Pink Floyd. If you listen to "Piper" on Rhapsody and like it, then I suggest buying the actual album so that you can look at the liner notes and pictures and bring the music anywhere.

I suggest you go to piratebay.org or mininova.org and find the torrents.

remember to get a torrent client.

Guest PULPY

I literally cannot deal with SYD dying. I didn't expect it, and it's not maken me happy. I laughed when I saw it cause i didn't think it was real. :cry:

sydbarrett8xj.jpg

How he should be remembered.

RIP SYD you are my idol. :(

There's a great dvd out called The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story.

It's focused mainly on Syd.

Not an official release but it's well done,there's GREAT footage of Robyn Hitchcock performing some of Syd's solo material.

A worthwhile bio for those who may be interested.

Sad, but pink floyd were better off without him

i disagree.

i second this

And I third it on the count that without Syd there would not have been a Floyd. Even after his leaving the band he was a big inspiration on many of their greatest works. Dark Side Of The Moon has passages inspired by Syd, Wish You Were Here is entirely dedicated to Syd and also The Wall is roughly based around the lives of Roger Waters and Syd. In the early days he made the band. Afer he left he still inspired them to make what are generaly considered their greatest works.

If syd had stayed in the band, what would have happened?

There you go, pink floyd were better off without him.

i disagree.

i second this

And I third it on the count that without Syd there would not have been a Floyd. Even after his leaving the band he was a big inspiration on many of their greatest works. Dark Side Of The Moon has passages inspired by Syd, Wish You Were Here is entirely dedicated to Syd and also The Wall is roughly based around the lives of Roger Waters and Syd. In the early days he made the band. Afer he left he still inspired them to make what are generaly considered their greatest works.

Exactly,

Some might argue that they were not focused enough during the Barrett years. I doubt they would've exceded their "psychedelic club band" status had he stayed. Remember that a lot of what made Pink Floyd's breakthrough was Waters' writing and Gilmour's guitar work. That's why Dark Side took off, and they tapped into that magical combination again and again for the rest of the 70s. Syd remained an inspiration to the band and Waters in particular. But, he was put on this pedestal as a martyr, a victim of the drug-filled 60s, from where he could feed Waters the fuel he needed to make some of the best music of all time, but it was Waters and the other guys who made that music. Because let's face it, there's nothing either Syd, or anybody else in music could ever do to make Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, or The Wall any better than they are...

i disagree.

i second this

Exactly,

Some might argue that they were not focused enough during the Barrett years. I doubt they would've exceded their "psychedelic club band" status had he stayed. Remember that a lot of what made Pink Floyd's breakthrough was Waters' writing and Gilmour's guitar work. That's why Dark Side took off, and they tapped into that magical combination again and again for the rest of the 70s. Syd remained an inspiration to the band and Waters in particular. But, he was put on this pedestal as a martyr, a victim of the drug-filled 60s, from where he could feed Waters the fuel he needed to make some of the best music of all time, but it was Waters and the other guys who made that music. Because let's face it, there's nothing either Syd, or anybody else in music could ever do to make Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, or The Wall any better than they are...

agree 100%^

I like the way you think.

There's a great dvd out called The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story.

It's focused mainly on Syd.

Not an official release but it's well done,there's GREAT footage of Robyn Hitchcock performing some of Syd's solo material.

A worthwhile bio for those who may be interested.

Great documentary including extensive interviews with Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Rick Wright and Nick Mason. The DVD includes great stories about Syd and really explains his career very well.

There are 3 different versions:

The european release

The US release

The Definitive Edition

The first 2 are the same disc in a different box. No differences.

The Definitive Edition however is the latest release. Unlike the other two it's a 2-DVD set. It includes the full original documentary and all the extra's that were on the original DVD. Opposed to the original release though, it also includes all the raw interview material with Roger, David, Rick and Nick. Very interesting and worth the extra money because they tell fantastic stories about Syd and it's very interesting to watch!

I'd recommend The Pink Floyd And Syd Barrett Story: The Definitive Edition to anybody. It's a great vallue for your money, it's interesting, it's informative and it's presented in a way that just keeps you watching it from beginning to end. Great production!

On Amazon The Definitive Edition is listed at the price of 15 pounds / 21 euro's / 27,5 dollar.

If you look around in your local record stores though it should be much cheaper.

I bought it for 10 euro's (7 pounds / 12,5 dollar) at one of the biggest record store chains in my country.

didn't know about the Definitive Edition...thanks!