Your Favourite GnR Guitarist?

There Was A Fine

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to go with izzy & slash as a team, but ulitmatley izzy cause he wrote more good stuff, and did a lot of good stuff on his own. slash has consistently proven that he's more or less worthless without axl and izz.

of the new guys, i think fortus is the best. in fact, i think fortus is a better izzy than gilby clarke was.

i think robin finck is fucking terrible, and so is bumblefoot. thai is a shredder, which is an easy thing to be. finck...man i'm sorry i really just think that he's bad at the guitar....or he's at least bad at playing gn'r songs. the best qualifier of whether or not a guitar player is great is their vibrato. when and how it is used is, i think, is the best indicator of how much taste a player has. thai's version of the slow solo in SCOM is laden with the worst kind of vibrato: he shakes the string up and down on every sustained note. tasteless. this is commonly known as "kirk hammett's disease".

Come on....that's pretty harsh. Slash may not be a great song writer, but he is damn good at coming up with riffs. His riffs on Snakepit, contraband, and w/ people like Michael Jackson have been great. It's an oversimplification to just say that he can't do anything with axl or izzy. He works best with them, but he's pretty damn effective without them...he just needs a good songwriter. It's like a great surgeon who is blind, he's got the best hands, but he needs vision to do a great job.

i have to go with izzy & slash as a team, but ulitmatley izzy cause he wrote more good stuff, and did a lot of good stuff on his own. slash has consistently proven that he's more or less worthless without axl and izz.

of the new guys, i think fortus is the best. in fact, i think fortus is a better izzy than gilby clarke was.

i think robin finck is fucking terrible, and so is bumblefoot. thai is a shredder, which is an easy thing to be. finck...man i'm sorry i really just think that he's bad at the guitar....or he's at least bad at playing gn'r songs. the best qualifier of whether or not a guitar player is great is their vibrato. when and how it is used is, i think, is the best indicator of how much taste a player has. thai's version of the slow solo in SCOM is laden with the worst kind of vibrato: he shakes the string up and down on every sustained note. tasteless. this is commonly known as "kirk hammett's disease".

Come on....that's pretty harsh. Slash may not be a great song writer, but he is damn good at coming up with riffs. His riffs on Snakepit, contraband, and w/ people like Michael Jackson have been great. It's an oversimplification to just say that he can't do anything with axl or izzy. He works best with them, but he's pretty damn effective without them...he just needs a good songwriter. It's like a great surgeon who is blind, he's got the best hands, but he needs vision to do a great job.

Nicely put. rock3

Wow, my first post here. Been reading the forum in the background for many years and finally I decided to start posting... interesting, eh... not.

For the question I have to say Slash is my favorite guitar player through out the excistense of GN'R. Izzy is also cool and it's great that he is in terms with Axl. Off the new line-up I'd propably choose Bumblefoot or Fortus.

Wow, my first post here. Been reading the forum in the background for many years and finally I decided to start posting... interesting, eh... not.

For the question I have to say Slash is my favorite guitar player through out the excistense of GN'R. Izzy is also cool and it's great that he is in terms with Axl. Off the new line-up I'd propably choose Bumblefoot or Fortus.

Welcome to the forum dude!

LA

Hes untitled to his opinion PH mate and sharing it without being out down

If somebody posts something fucking stupid, I'm gonna fucking well make them aware of that fact. ESPECIALLY when they do it every other post. To suggest Ron is "nothing secial" and surplus to requirments is laughable. They couldn't even play the new songs without him. He isn't the third guitar player, he's the first guitar player. Why? Because Finck and Fortus are simply incapable of replicating his playing. If Fortus was gone, they could play the set. If Finck was gone, they could play the set... if Ron was gone, however, they'd need a new guitar player otherwise they'd be fucked.

Edited by PurpleHaze

the best qualifier of whether or not a guitar player is great is their vibrato.

no it's not you dumbass! :rofl-lol:

:rofl-lol:

I have to agree!

LA

disagree with me all you want....you'll never change my opnion. i've been watching guitar players and playing/teaching guitar for 15 years, and i have found that this is the best way to see whether a guitar player is worth their weight in dirt. ron thai and finck have the same exact vibrato that some of my students have after they've been playing 6 months and they learn their first solo. if you're 13, that's a great way to play. then again, thai has been seen (IN PUBLIC!) playing a line 6 amp and a guitar shaped like CHEESE so i would say he's off the "people with taste" roll call....

I have to agree!

LA

disagree with me all you want....you'll never change my opnion. i've been watching guitar players and playing/teaching guitar for 15 years, and i have found that this is the best way to see whether a guitar player is worth their weight in dirt. ron thai and finck have the same exact vibrato that some of my students have after they've been playing 6 months and they learn their first solo. if you're 13, that's a great way to play. then again, thai has been seen (IN PUBLIC!) playing a line 6 amp and a guitar shaped like CHEESE so i would say he's off the "people with taste" roll call....

Thinking about it... I recall my guitar teacher telling me that vibrato is one of the most difficult things to perfect in guitar playing, that the better guitarists can keep the vibrato going for ages and ages and the worse ones can't.

Vibrato is something often overlooked and done too quickly and pathetically so it sounds gay. Kirk Hammet has horrible vibrato I've noticed. Yngwie has brilliant vibrato, as does Zakk Wylde. It's not THAT difficult to master though, it's just something widely done incorrectly and poorly when it can be fixed with a bit of work if you're a dedicated guitarist.

Edited by PurpleHaze

Finck rock3

Might not be technicaly as good as others ( i don't agree ) but a joy to watch, stage presence like mother fucking King Kong

You don't agree that Finck is technically inferior to Fortus or Ron?

finck is inferior to my cat.

That must be one hell of a talented cat you got there. . . :unsure:<_<

LA

I have to agree!

LA

keep lying, if you were a guitar teacher you would know that phrasing is the best way to determine how good an artist is. anyone who gives half a fuck has a perfect vibrato. and anyone who can rock a cheese guitar the fuck out is cool in my book.