The Official MMA (Mixed martial arts) Thread

vulgar

I am very excited for tonight's main card. Matt Brown is a 3-1 underdog - I'm not confident he will win but at 3-1 he is worth $10.

Did everyone catch Conor McGregor in Dublin? How fucking wild was that? If you missed the first fight - please go back and watch Paddy Holohan (no, I'm not making him up, he is a real person, i swear). It was amazing.

I'm so glad DC is in VS jones. I hatteeeee Jones and didn't want to see the Gus rematch- just one more win for JJ.

The biggest factor in the first Gus / Jones fight was surprise - Jones was so used to beating on guys smaller / shorter (reach / height) than him, he bought his own hype. Within 90 seconds of round 1 it became apparent just how important the reach had been in his domination. Credit to Jones, he showed championship heart and truly won the fight, but it confirmed a lot of suspicions re: his dominance. I believe in the rematch that element of surprise is gone and Jones would win handily. Before DC dropped to 205 I thought the the only people who could truely challenge Jones were at heavyweight (i.e. pleaseeee feed him to JDS)

Here comes DC to save the day.

DC presents a different challenge and the greatest to date IMO. Rashad was too comfortable / up his own ass to truly challenge Jones. Like the Lil' Nog fight - Rashad isn't hungry enough.

DC gonna feed his kids.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did everyone catch Conor McGregor in Dublin? How fucking wild was that? If you missed the first fight - please go back and watch Paddy Holohan (no, I'm not making him up, he is a real person, i swear). It was amazing.

I was at it. Easily the best sports event I've been to. From Hoolahan, and Pendred taking a ferocious beatdown and pulling out the choke in the 2nd, the atmosphere was phenomenal from the start, I barely used my seat.

Also seen today that Mike King got popped for steroids so that's a nice hundred grand fight bonus for Pendred.

vlgq7ee.png

I was at it. Easily the best sports event I've been to. From Hoolahan, and Pendred taking a ferocious beatdown and pulling out the choke in the 2nd, the atmosphere was phenomenal from the start, I barely used my seat.

Also seen today that Mike King got popped for steroids so that's a nice hundred grand fight bonus for Pendred.

vlgq7ee.png

how wet did you get?

i mean when the beer was thrown post-conor ;)

Sean Seehan posted that he saw a guy run from 20 rows back to dump a pint on Dan Hardy :thumbsup:

Jordan Mein's father was arrested post-weigh ins for [allegedly] sexually assaulting a maid at the hotel.

what i've gathered from social media -

maid approached Lee Mein, said 'im a fan of your son, can i get an autograph?" - he "put her" on the bed, and grabbed her crotch, and kissed her neck. she freaked and took off. claimed he smelled of alcohol.

he has been barred from tonights event.

he is a 6-13 MMA fighter himself.

The losers are always...illegit.

all that aside, go Jordan. You don't pick your pops.

6-13? And he got a UFC deal...?

no, Lee Mein is the father - he is 47 - he fights in regional shows in western Canada - not even close to UFC. most recently lost to Tim Hague in February (Tim Hague is a HW who beat Pat Barry in the UFC, lost to everyone else...)

Jordan, his son, is a legit fighter. He knocked out Mike Pyle last night. TKO'd Dan Miller at UFC 158 last year (i was there, no big deal). Lost to Matt Brown who broke his orbital bone but he has serious potential. He was the co-main last night and did not disappoint. it was clear his fathers situation did not phase him, not only that, he afterwards (i believe) mouthed "that's for you dad, i love you"

How about Dos Anjos? Seriously - fuck Ben Henderson. I jumped up and screamed.

Also, Bisping beat the fucking brakes off of Cung Le -great to see - i would hate to see Bisping lose to another TRTor. Cung Le clearly abused TRT or god knows what else.

Edited by Jackie Moon

Bisping can whine about TRT all he wants. All it did was save him from getting the ass-beating of a lifetime from Silva. He never would have become champ.

probably true. no argument. but he deserved the chance.

Vitor Belfort on TRT was insane.

Chael Sonnen BARELY beat Bisping to earn his title shot at 148. And based on recent events, he was probably juiced to the gills. Not just TRT, but EPO.

Assuming Bisping is clean, he has been seriously set back by guys taking performance enhancing drugs.

He legitimately lost to Tim Kennedy, and he would have never become champ, i agree, but it's clear he has run into quite a bit of fuckery in his set backs.

Edited by Jackie Moon

6-13? And he got a UFC deal...?

no, Lee Mein is the father - he is 47 - he fights in regional shows in western Canada - not even close to UFC. most recently lost to Tim Hague in February (Tim Hague is a HW who beat Pat Barry in the UFC, lost to everyone else...)

My bad - didn't see that. You should take him!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

UFC champion Jon Jones announces he's entered a drug treatment facility.

The announcement came just days after Jones defeated Daniel Cormier on Saturday in the main event of UFC 182 at the MGM Grand Garden in a five-round decision that left many considering him as the greatest mixed martial arts fighter of all time. But in a random drug test given to him on Dec. 4 by the Nevada Athletic Commission, Jones tested positive for benzoylecgonine, the main metabolite in cocaine. The Nevada commission follows the World Anti-Doping Agency code and benzoylecgonine is not banned out-of-competition. As a result, the commission was unable to penalize Jones or prevent him from fighting despite knowing of the positive test.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/ufc-champion-jon-jones-enters-into-a-drug-treatment-facility-214520325.html

“I’ve always been a person who tries to do the right thing in life, for the most part,” said Jones. “I’m no angel, but I was always the kid who snitched on the kids who had pot. I don’t want to offend the pot smokers out there, but I was kind of just a snitch. I was just down for people doing the right thing. My parents kind of raised me to be a good guy. I’ve always been down for the good side, I guess.”

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/12/04/jon-jones-i-was-always-the-kid-that-snitched/

heh

Edited by spliff

• 2 weeks later...