The Official MMA (Mixed martial arts) Thread

vulgar

"oh yeah, you train ufc don't you?"

Yeah I get that too. "He does UFC." :lol:

You any fights under your belt Sandman?

Not yet mate - I've just had the first of two necessary knee surgeries I've been waiting on for years. I'd love to get back to competing in grappling contests and such.

Yourself? I know your brother was fighting amateur right?

"oh yeah, you train ufc don't you?"

Yeah I get that too. "He does UFC." :lol:

You any fights under your belt Sandman?

Not yet mate - I've just had the first of two necessary knee surgeries I've been waiting on for years. I'd love to get back to competing in grappling contests and such.

Yourself? I know your brother was fighting amateur right?

Was planning on taking a fight a few months back but then I got a job in the city so had to move away from my Gym. So i've gone from training 3/4 times a week to just the one. :( Considering a lot of the training I do is cardio based (as you probably know yourself), If I took a fight now I would probably gas after the first round.

Yeah my brother fought amateur and then had a Pro-B (head strikes allowed on the ground but no elbows) fight a while back. He's moved to Australia now though.

ill get a really douchey GI too, camo maybe. ill start beginner jiu-jitsu and immediately start sweeping legs.

any joe rogan podcast fans? i got into them about a month ago, i really enjoy them. im not with him on everything (for instance, he is skeptical of the moon landings) but i really like his approach to subjects, not always right but i think he is in the ballpark. i also like the way he handles his guests and their views. comedian ralphie may was on, throwing out all kinds of bullshit theories and figures, joe didn't go along with it. when he thought it was nonsense, he said so.

this video is pretty good example of joe being joe. brace yourself homan.

the joe rogan experience

Edited by Jackie Moon

nick diaz is insane

There are a lot of fighters who will take exception to many of the rankings in the world of MMA. One person who is more than happy to let his feelings be known is Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz, who keeps calling out Georges St-Pierre because everyone tries to tell him that St-Pierre is the best fighter at 170 pounds.

Well if that’s what everyone is saying, he is tired of listening to it.

Diaz, who spent several years with the UFC early in his career, has spent the last few working for different organizations including EliteXC and Strikeforce. During that time he’s established himself as one of the toughest competitors at 170 pounds, and thinks it’s high time people recognized his work.

“I think I got here and started fighting before most of them, including Georges St-Pierre in the UFC. I was really mad because they were getting fights and recognition when I was here first. I thought it was first come, first serve. I was working harder and I was here first,” Diaz commented on Thursday.

Diaz also brought up St-Pierre’s last opponent, Josh Koscheck, who he believes deserves no place among the top fighters in the welterweight division.

“Josh Koscheck, I cornered a guy to fight Josh Koscheck, he probably had two fights in his life, and this fight he was set up to fight Josh Koscheck. They made easy fights for those guys. This guy’s got like six or seven fights, all easy guys. I never fought anybody like that guy that’s fought against Josh Koscheck,” Diaz explained.

“We’ve got some guy who doesn’t even fight, he drinks at a bar, and we took him to fight Josh Koscheck one day. He didn’t even know who he was fighting. I’ve never had fights like that. So when you bring up guys like that to me and tell me they’re the best fighters in the world, it’s a (expletive) joke.”

While it’s true that Diaz is in a different promotion than St-Pierre or Koscheck, he believes that the organizations could work together to make the fights happen that the fans and critics want to see.

“Straight up, people think this guy’s better than me and it’s (expletive),” Diaz said about St-Pierre. “He just fought Josh Koscheck for (expletive) five rounds, I just told you about Josh Koscheck. Why are you saying he’s the best? What is that (expletive)? Because we fight for different companies?

“I think it’s big enough to where they can get enough money involved where they can organize that show.”

It’s obvious Diaz is more than willing to face anybody that steps in to fight him, but if there is a consolation prize it’s the fact that he believes his teammate will take the crown off of St-Pierre’s head come April 30 at UFC 129 in Toronto.

“Right now, what do you want? You guys rank that guy above me. I want to fight GSP, but I think my partner (Jake Shields) will take him out regardless,” said Diaz.

He also named UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva among his dream fights, but ultimately he wants to prove he’s the best whether it’s against St-Pierre or someone in Strikeforce. He’s ready for the test.

“It’s a joke to me. This guy may be a good fighter now, but these guys that are ranked up there, I was here first and that’s fine,” Diaz shouted. “Let’s fight then and make it happen

Nick and his brother are complete dicks but he does have a point - he would be more of a challenge to GSP than anyone currently in the UFC welterweight division.

I wouldnt even consider Diaz a challenge for GSP

anyways, ticket info was released for UFC 129

Fight Club: February 10

Newsletter: February 11

General: February 12

prices and Expo info to be released next week

Edited by RJ88

im going to get my tickets thru the fight club, fuck yeah!

fight for the troops was all kind of awkward. as a semi-professional follower of joes podcasts, i know there was probably a lot of shit running through his head last night that had to be censored

rogan2.gif

hominck vs. aldo in toronto, that card just improved 2x.

Nick and his brother are complete dicks but he does have a point - he would be more of a challenge to GSP than anyone currently in the UFC welterweight division.

I can appreciate someone wanting to promote themselves to an extent. But some of these guys are turning their interviews and press releases into WWE already. Koscheck built up that fight with GSP on nothing buy hype, and could back none of it. Sonnen trashed Silva to the 9s and he's still not wearing a belt.

Call me old fashioned but I'd like to see a little more respect in the game.

I can appreciate someone wanting to promote themselves to an extent. But some of these guys are turning their interviews and press releases into WWE already. Koscheck built up that fight with GSP on nothing buy hype, and could back none of it. Sonnen trashed Silva to the 9s and he's still not wearing a belt.

Call me old fashioned but I'd like to see a little more respect in the game.

sonnen allegedly called rowdy rowdy piper for advice on hyping the fight. it's part of his job. how many people paid to see edgar and maynard? that card was sick yet 50% of the crowd was there for free.

the UFC isnt the NBA, NHL, NFL - its not a sports league structured to find the best, its a promotion designed to sell tickets and PPV's. they make or break fights based on interest.

MMA is a sport, but UFC isnt a league. its a promotion.

i appreciate your objection on the WWE grounds, i think your points are valid, i just have to throw this out there:

i like the ufc mirroring the old WWF

i dont want to see it turn into the WWE.

i was a huge WWF fan when i was 3-7ish, 1988-1992. it was simple, good guy vs. bad guy, story lines to make the matches relevant, colorful costumes and theme music, quite a spectacle. the ufc feels very close to what i thought was legit wrestling as a toddler. as things got more complicated ( turning point were the togas at wrestlemaina 9 (1993). i was 8 and i remember thinking "....im too old for this". i was eight.) i lost interest and by 1995ish despised it. now i feel like i've reconnected with my 7 year old self. i have to stay 1000 feet away from him at all times, but its still a nice nostalgic feel when i watch the ufcs 18 years later.

i hope it doesn't go too far in the direction of wrestling though. i am glad to see they got rid of the fireworks and ridiculousness of the early days. there is a line there, they need to stay further to the legitimate side, keep the WWF side within sight but keep distance. basically they need to kalib starnes the WWF.

Edited by Jackie Moon

I can appreciate someone wanting to promote themselves to an extent. But some of these guys are turning their interviews and press releases into WWE already.

Agreed.

I don't mind trash talking if the guys legitimately hate each other. What pissed me off is if guys have been hyping a fight for months and then after the fight turn around, hug each other and tell the crowd "We only said those things to hype the fight."

It's more or less "Haha can't believe you stupid fucks fell for that and bought tickets!!" I'm all for respect in the game but it's at this point where it becomes too much like professional wrestling for me. It brings an element of fraud to the sport.

What pissed me off is if guys have been hyping a fight for months and then after the fight turn around, hug each other and tell the crowd "We only said those things to hype the fight."

I agree that is lame.

sonnen is ridiculous. he called anderson silva a cheat and a fraud.

-failed drug test

-money laundering

whoops

mitrione100510.jpg

Mike Tyson's mansion in Ohio is for sale, and my buddy say's "hey Meat you should take your fight of the night money and put a down payment on Tyson's place." and I said "look buddy if I wanted to do a real estate deal with a roided up, convicted felon, I'd call Chael Sonnen."

-- Matt Mitrione