The Official MMA (Mixed martial arts) Thread

vulgar

Really enjoyed that card! Thoroughly fun from start to finish. Glad to see Koscheck humble in defeat - GSP just put on a clinic. However, I want to see GSP be more clinical and finish more people during the bout, four of his last five have been unanimous decisions. YES - they are unanimous, I just wanna see him TKO someone bad!

McCorkle/Struve was decent - great comeback from Struve. I do like McCorkle - but he needs to tested more and get into better shape. He seems to be struggling to make around 265 and stay looking decent (from a previous cut of 320 odd lbs I've read), but he seems cool. Just needs better competition really and more regularly. I think he has the potential to be a decent gatekeeper.

Bocek's and Miller's submissions were class - great work there. I love to see top level JJ of any form, so pleasing to the eye! Oliveira still has an INCREDIBLY bright future.

Fair play to Danzig did well - but Thiago Alves was off-key last night. He looked the real deal, and he hasn't looked that good in a long time! Maybe now he's got his weight problems sorted he can get back to being the Pitbull we all know and love (or indeed, loathe).

Piersen/Riddle was also good - but 30-27?! I thought 29-28 would've been far more fair - I mean, the second round was surely Riddle's. But there we go - MMA judging for you!

I want to see GSP be more clinical and finish more people during the bout, four of his last five have been unanimous decisions. YES - they are unanimous, I just wanna see him TKO someone bad!

Agreed. GSP seems to be getting trapped in that champions mentality of not fighting for the win but simply fighting not to lose. Tim Sylvia did the same. The result is a lot of decisions. Impressive decisions but decisions nonetheless.

Piersen/Riddle was also good - but 30-27?! I thought 29-28 would've been far more fair - I mean, the second round was surely Riddle's. But there we go - MMA judging for you!

Gotta disagree with you there. This is one of the rare occasions where I felt the judges got it spot on and scored based on actual punches landed instead of mindless aggression. Riddle was punching air for most of the three rounds. Judges over-scoring aggression is the reason Nam Pham lost that ludicrous decision last week.

I want to see GSP be more clinical and finish more people during the bout, four of his last five have been unanimous decisions. YES - they are unanimous, I just wanna see him TKO someone bad!

Agreed. GSP seems to be getting trapped in that champions mentality of not fighting for the win but simply fighting not to lose. Tim Sylvia did the same. The result is a lot of decisions. Impressive decisions but decisions nonetheless.

Gotta disagree with you there. This is one of the rare occasions where I felt the judges got it spot on and scored based on actual punches landed instead of mindless aggression. Riddle was punching air for most of the three rounds. Judges over-scoring aggression is the reason Nam Pham lost that ludicrous decision last week.

I honestly felt Riddle took the second round in terms of take-downs etc. But otherwise I agree over the comments of mindless agression. Pierson was picking things - I just didn't think he took a lot as he tired in the second. 1 and 3 were his I felt undoubtedly - but I felt Riddle did enough in the second to secure that.

although gsp didnt finish, i was glad to see he clearly beat koscheck up, kicked his ass, as opposed to just grinding him out for 25 minutes. that was a one sided ass kicking, incredibly deserved.

stefan struve is hilarious haha. he always makes it interesting. he is winning me over.

jim miller always seems to get it done.

i enjoyed that ppv quite a bit. i am 95% sure i am going to toronto for the ufc april 30th, 70,000 ish people, going to be wild. anyone else considering it?

hey orsys, whats up?

TSN the reporters on UFC 124

that video made me ashamed to be Canadian.

jesus christ.

1.they freely admit they dont know what they are talking about. "when they go to the ground, im lost". you obviously dont understand the sport, so what gives you the right to question its validity as a sport? they clearly dont understand the technical aspect of grappling, WHICH IS THE MOST CRUCIAL ASPECT OF IT BEING A SPORT!! stand up is fun and entertaining, but imo its when the fight goes to the ground where the sport aspect really becomes apparent. physical offense, defense. if thats not a sport, what is?

2.they clearly have no interest in the sport. "does anyone know who GSP is fighting?". hmm. i dont know any of the members of Manchester United, i dont really like soceer, so where the fuck would i get off questioning its validity as a sport?

i love TSN, but that video has me feeling all boycotty.

-----

in other news, any fans of bully beatdown here? i just discovered it and , holy fuck, what a satisfying show.

ive only watched 4 episodes but so far this is my favorite part

Edited by Jackie Moon

TSN the reporters on UFC 124

that video made me ashamed to be Canadian.

jesus christ.

1.they freely admit they dont know what they are talking about. "when they go to the ground, im lost". you obviously dont understand the sport, so what gives you the right to question its validity as a sport? they clearly dont understand the technical aspect of grappling, WHICH IS THE MOST CRUCIAL ASPECT OF IT BEING A SPORT!! stand up is fun and entertaining, but imo its when the fight goes to the ground where the sport aspect really becomes apparent. physical offense, defense. if thats not a sport, what is?

2.they clearly have no interest in the sport. "does anyone know who GSP is fighting?". hmm. i dont know any of the members of Manchester United, i dont really like soceer, so where the fuck would i get off questioning its validity as a sport?

i love TSN, but that video has me feeling all boycotty.

Ya, it's the same thing as 95% of girls that watch UFC....

I was talking to a friend of mine and she mentioned she watched it. I was like "YOU? Was this your first time watching it?" Her reply "well...GSP was fighting, that's why I watched it"

• 3 weeks later...

i think thiago silva is one of the scariest fighters in the ufc, in terms of appearance only. lots of guys have an intense mean mug but it usually comes across as forced or almost cartoonish,

silva just looks fucking scary.

who are your picks? i thought houston alexander was a scary dude until i found out he is a single father to like 6, radio DJ and all round good guy.

paulo thiago is pretty legit as well. fight night is considered a "night off" for paulo.