Axl using back up tape?

Gillian

Just a thought - maybe Axl uses tapes on the first three songs, WTTJ, ISE & Mr.B. Those gets allways played, hardly ever even have a song introduction between them, I haven't ever heard Axl stopping one of'em (atleast in new GN'R-shows) and they're essential for the show to be a success.

Glasgow 21st July 2006

Axl stops after It's So Easy to tell the crowd to step back.

I was on the barrier and fuck me the ribs took a nice knocking that night, got pulled out though.

Anyway..no i don't think Axl uses a backing tape. His ear monitor controls the volume of his monitor only..seriously some of you guys think he has his own little mixing desk on his belt. He DOES NOT control the output volume of his voice. He controls what goes into his ear ONLY, the equilavent of turning up your Ipod.

Ha! Thanks, actually I wanted my theory to be overruled :P

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought - maybe Axl uses tapes on the first three songs, WTTJ, ISE & Mr.B. Those gets allways played, hardly ever even have a song introduction between them, I haven't ever heard Axl stopping one of'em (atleast in new GN'R-shows) and they're essential for the show to be a success.

Glasgow 21st July 2006

Axl stops after It's So Easy to tell the crowd to step back.

I was on the barrier and fuck me the ribs took a nice knocking that night, got pulled out though.

Anyway..no i don't think Axl uses a backing tape. His ear monitor controls the volume of his monitor only..seriously some of you guys think he has his own little mixing desk on his belt. He DOES NOT control the output volume of his voice. He controls what goes into his ear ONLY, the equilavent of turning up your Ipod.

Ha! Thanks, actually I wanted my theory to be overruled :P

yes, and that's what we got from download festival 2006 show

HE DOES!

You can hear it in "it's so easy" in RIR 3 and you can also hear it on the "high pitch singing" in "better" from Rock Am Ring. If you see both those videos you will see and hear it.

So, He does ;)

But he still sings on top and it sounds great.

thats what I thought so i originally dismissed the thought

Then a local radio station was even claiming that he was using a tape for the song

He could just use a tape for Brownstone...

Thats why I decided to ask everyone's opinions. I was shocked to hear the vocals still going So I was trying to find out who was still singing.

During Brownstone does Dizzy sing at all?.. thats the only person I couldn't see whether he was singing or not

He does not use a tape for Brownstone. At the show I was at, he adlibbed lines and changed the lyrics. If he had been using a tape he could not have done that. Chances are you heard a backup singer and just thought it was Axl.

I wondered the same thing, especially on some of the 1993 bootlegs. I used to have a bootleg (I think Milton Keynes 1993) where Axl was singing near the end of YCBM and screamed "fuck you" at some fan. But while he was saying this, you could clearly hear HIM singing in the background as well (it was during the chorus). It definitely sounded like him, not Izzy (who was back for this show) or anyone else. So I wouldn't be shocked if he used some backing tapes at least during the choruses at some point, but nowadays he definitely DOES NOT use them. I was at a show two weeks ago, and he completely fucked up Chinese Democracy, and there was nothing that saved him except himself after a few seconds. He has also made many other mistakes during songs in other shows recently, and it's clearly him singing live.

Maybe it was Pitman.

There is truth to that.

Axl uses voice "samples" to add effects to his singing. It's clear in "Better" - the "intro" part, which is repeated in several pars of the song, including the ending, is really weird to sing live. Parts like these are controlled by Pitman the almighty.

Axl also has a cool little effects box he wears on his sides. You can seem fiddle with it in certain songs. I'm pretty sure there's some kind of echo effect on there.

But yeah, Axl ain't no Ashley Simpson. But Slash might be. I have been told that Slash uses a backup tape and a backstage guitarist.

Pretty much the only thing Axl uses is a couple of effects. I think there's an echo effect or something on that Live and Let Die scream.

Aside from that, it's him. As myself and others have pointed out - he changes lines, adlibs, and makes plenty of mistakes. He has sung an entire wrong verse before.

Go watch the people who do use tapes - the pop acts - and you don't see that.

I don't know if Axl uses recorded lead vocals, but he definately usees pre-recorded backing vocals. I saw the shows in calgary and edmonton and could clearly hear them on a few songs, e.g. paradise city. also, in the end of paradise city, you could hear back up vocals that weren't loud enough to clearly hear, but they were there if you listened.

Not a chance... his voice changes so much between shows, you can hear that sometimes he doesn't hit the notes which is a good thing. If he was using backup he would sound perfect which he doesn't.

And ummmm... don't forget that we have his mike mix from Donington ;)

no, it was definately NOT echoes, it was backup recordings of axls singing the refrains, etc. I was listening very carefully and I could hear this in several songs.

and as for the mike mix from donnington... I didn't say that the lead vocals were pre-recorded, and that mike mix still doesn't prove that he isn't using recorded backing vocals.

dude, it's not echoes! I've played guitar for 14 years and I've been in several bands and attended hundreds of concerts, and I know the difference between echoes and a refrain <_<

some of you are (for some reason) afraid to admit that axl uses recorded samples of himself singing during shows. They play it during refrains and also other parts of the song, e.g. at the end of paradise city you can hear the refrain being played when Axl isn't even singing. It's barely audible but you CAN hear it there. And it's not fucking echoes.

dude, it's not echoes! I've played guitar for 14 years and I've been in several bands and attended hundreds of concerts, and I know the difference between echoes and a refrain <_<

some of you are (for some reason) afraid to admit that axl uses recorded samples of himself singing during shows. They play it during refrains and also other parts of the song, e.g. at the end of paradise city you can hear the refrain being played when Axl isn't even singing. It's barely audible but you CAN hear it there. And it's not fucking echoes.

Well... since you've already decided, I see no reason to carry on with the thread ;)

I'm sticking to my guns... he is not using a backup tape :xmasssanta:

It happened in Birmingham,during YCBM..and no,Axl does not use playback tapes.

Tommy,Robin and Ron sing this song live,they make the backing vocals.

When he threw security out lol - Classic night. And yeah its just the other guys backing him.

Edited by SteveVai

Hang on....What The Fuck!

"Hey guys, i'm getting on a bit, i will require a little stage side help."

"you mean like a back up tape for your vocals?"

"yea, that's exactly what i need"

"ok Axl no problem.."

"Oh and make it barely audible"

Why the fuck would you do that? You are talking out of your arse sir.

In the end, there have been 1000's of times Axl could have been caught out. At the end of paradise city, there's a shit load of stuff going on..why would you need it then?

I really shouldn't even respond to your post. Especially when you start with the classic "Experience" sentence

I've played guitar for 14 years and I've been in several bands and attended hundreds of concerts, and I know the difference between echoes and a refrain

Axl Rose, one of the most stubborn men in rock. You think he really cares too much what he sounds like? Especially after touring in 2002 with a throat the size of a pea.

Whatever has made his voice sooo God damn fucking good, i don't really care. The man is back and he fucking rocks.

End Of