Has rock lost its essence??

feconroses

What popular band (not underground or local bands)... nowadays represent what rock is about?

My Chemical Romance? Fall out boy? Panic! at the disco?

Hell no!! Where is the rebelion!?! Where is that type of bands that only wanted to have sex, drugs and rock n roll? Shit!! Even Metallica has settle down!! The last band that i can think of that had this attitude is maybe guns n roses...maybe nirvana...or early greenday (maybe).

Where is the IN YOUR FACE attitude? where is the FUCK YOU attitude? where is all that?

Has rock n roll "matured" from a crazy teenager to a 45 year old post menopause woman?

Maybe this is why rap is so "popular" and cool right now. Cuz they have the attitude rock n roll bands used to have. Rock isnt cool anymore. Now i see most of these bands like...nerds or emos or some stupid kids!!! Not as those gods almighty that can do anything they want!!

Discuss.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What popular band (not underground or local bands)... nowadays represent what rock is about?

Hell no!! Where is the rebelion!?! Where is that type of bands that only wanted to have sex, drugs and rock n roll? Shit!! Even Metallica has settle down!! The last band that i can think of that had this attitude is maybe guns n roses...maybe nirvana...or early greenday (maybe).

Where is the IN YOUR FACE attitude? where is the FUCK YOU attitude? where is all that?

Has rock n roll "matured" from a crazy teenager to a 45 year old post menopause woman?

Maybe this is why rap is so "popular" and cool right now. Cuz they have the attitude rock n roll bands used to have. Rock isnt cool anymore. Now i see most of these bands like...nerds or emos or some stupid kids!!! Not as those gods almighty that can do anything they want!!

Discuss.

Agreed. I feel as if I can't really find a new band that I like very much. So basically, I don't really like the modern music today.

The closest to that in my opinion is Velvet Revolver, that's why I can't wait for the 'Libertad' release. rock3rock3rock3rock3:o

Agreed. I feel as if I can't really find a new band that I like very much. So basically, I don't really like the modern music today.

The closest to that in my opinion is Velvet Revolver, that's why I can't wait for the 'Libertad' release. rock3rock3rock3rock3:o

Yeah. I agree. Velvet Revolver is one of those bands that still has it IMO.

Discuss.

i agree. im tired of hearing a bunch of people tell me that Marlyn Manson is rebellious. sure he is, but that was abck in the 80's. he sucks now. i dont think he's even making music anymore (thank god). And its stupid to hear a bunch of emos say "OMFG! Slash sucks! fall out boy is so much better!!!! omfg!!!" how are they better? they slap a few chords together, and then they become famous for slitting thier wrists. wow. congradu-fucking-lations. you've failed at life.

What's rebellious about Velvet revolver? :confused: The only thing they seem to be rebelling against is retirement.

Who gives a shit if a band is "badass" anyway? I really like all 3 panic at the disco single's ive heard, very catchy and they have a sense of the theatrical to their music which is way more appealing to me than a band pretending to be cool and pissed off

IMO VR is still Very Rock N Roll They auditioned for a lead singer and then picked the guy they wanted, waited for him to go through rehab. Made their first Kick ass album with everyone saying the couldn't make it. Have a song with top ten guitar licks along with a song that dares to have the line "Someone raped

HA I didn't even have to finish the line did I ?

VR has it and for new groups I like The Killers and Wolf Mother they come across as pretty rock and roll to me. But we do need some new blood with that attitude. Remember that what is going on in the world is reflected by the music that world creates? Do you think it is a coincidence all the Violent Rap lyrics and the world is broken EMO we are surrounded by? For us to have truly Great Rock n Roll by NEW faces we need to have another grass roots hippi movement followed by a ridiculously debauckkled war. Hmmm I wonder if we can do it in reverse?

--------------------

Look to Metal for some attitude.

Children of Bodom are a great example (and they are great too).

Avenged Sevenfold (as much as I don't like them).

Trivium

Hell even look into some death metal bands for some danger and 'attitude'.

Maybe straight forward 'rock' has died down, but there is still a big amount of Metal bands kicking ass.

rock3

Children Of Bodom - In Your Face

Thay are the best fucking band out there and the best ever!

This song isn't one of the best but it's really fucking cool

(it's bad that thay cut the guitar solo in this video but anyway)

Fuck yeah

The Answer Are A Very Led Zeppelin'esque band

Wolfmother?

I don't believe that this whole '70s revisited' thing is what music needs...or any other past-decade music styles brought into today.

Rock needs to have a modernisation.

For example GN'R have already re-invented themselves. I have not heard any music out there that sounds like Better or IRS...not in the mianstream anyway.

The Answer Are A Very Led Zeppelin'esque band

Wolfmother?

I don't believe that this whole '70s revisited' thing is what music needs...or any other past-decade music styles brought into today.

Rock needs to have a modernisation.

For example GN'R have already re-invented themselves. I have not heard any music out there that sounds like Better or IRS...not in the mianstream anyway.

The Answer Are Much More Led Zeppelin'Esque Than Wolfmother IMO.

Yeah COB is.. uhmm mindless screaming, nice guitars and loud drums and no that isn't attitude.

Bleh one can only remember the time when COB wasn't popular yet, and wasnt even that well known in Finland (back then I actually listened to that shit).

Edited by .Seal

Alexi Laiho has shitloads more 'attitude' than crappy all of Wolfmother put together. God I hate Wolfmother :anger:

BLS are a pretty good example. Hell, all Zakk Wylde lives for is booze and guitar :P

and COB are one of the best bands around now. They are great :)

When musicians have to resort to t.v. game shows to make things happen in the music industry...yes,rock and roll has lost its essence.

...but apparantly I'm just jealous of American Idol contestants when I try to make that point :book:

:rolleyes:

IMO the best bands out there are older bands.... BLS, Audioslave, VR. Deadsy has a good new song on the radio that I like; along with Gramercy Park. But they are weird. There is so much shit out there... Nickelback, P.O.D., Papa Roach, Puddle of Mud, and Hinder. GNR has a wide open avenue to come back and show people how to rock. I hope to god it happens.

It's simple. Don't use the mainstream as your guide for what rock should be according to you. Explore a bit. Wolfmother are not the next big rock band. Every single post about them has to mention their resemblance to Led Zeppelin, and there really aren't many similarities.

Besides, rock having an "essence" is just a subjective term. For many, rock can have melodies and strong guitars as an essence. Some people find the vocals to be the essence to rock. Some need it to be badass. Unfortunately, when people do that, they're limiting themselves to what they may want to explore, but are too hesitant.