Frank Zappa

kevdo242

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joes Garage(I think thats the correct title) is a great song.

And of course, "Valley Girl".

We used to jam in joes garage :heart:

My freind sent me some stuff

the guys magical

and i also heard that zappa cream and hendrix were headlining some festival and hendrix and cream were playin new material and zappa went out and covered it :shades:

Ok, so far I've got:

Inca Roads

I Am The Walrus

I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth

Catholic Girls

Ring Of Fire

Dynamo Hum

Stairway To Heaven

Joes Garage

Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?

Valley Girl

Black Napkins

Titties And Beer

I really like these songs, so what album should I get? I've heard 'Apostrophe' is supposed to be his best.

• 3 months later...

I've always had tremendous respect for the man, but for some reason never bought any of his CD's.

What's a good starting point? I want to steer away from the jokier"Don't Eat the Yellow Snow"-type stuff and focus on serious compositions/playing for now.

Try Hot Rats for some sublime Jazz-Fusion work. Put the claims that 'Slash is the best' to shame. Try Grand Wazoo, that has Big Band Jazz.

Uncle Meat's a quality album from the Mothers, but does contain some comedy and nonsense. It's hard to find a Zappa album that doesn't have comedy elements to it. But get 'Freak Out!' and 'Zappa in New York' the latter has the Brecker Brothers on horns

Based on where you want to start with Zappa,I concur with Chuckle-Bros...the first album that came to mind was Zappa in New York.

One Size Fits All is another good one.

Apart from that,where to start with Zappa in general...when people ask I always suggest Overnight Sensation.

Edited by zint61

Try Hot Rats for some sublime Jazz-Fusion work. Put the claims that 'Slash is the best' to shame. Try Grand Wazoo, that has Big Band Jazz.

Uncle Meat's a quality album from the Mothers, but does contain some comedy and nonsense. It's hard to find a Zappa album that doesn't have comedy elements to it. But get 'Freak Out!' and 'Zappa in New York' the latter has the Brecker Brothers on horns

I don't mind his subtle satire at all, just not the really obvious stuff. I loved 200 Motels, although I would not recommend watching it while in the presence of people on large quantities of psychedelics. It really fucks with the weak-minded. I knew a girl that freaked out so badly after watching it on acid that she was commited.

Other personal favs..

Apostrophe

Zoot Allures

Just Another Band From L.A.

(Billy The Mountain...can't tell you how many stoned nights I spent listening to that one back in the day!)

Weasles Ripped My Flesh (gotta love a song called Prelude to the Afternoon of a Sexually Aroused Gas Mask)

Thanks for all the input-my head is swimming with possibilities of how I can blow tomorrow's pay. I'll have to make the drive into Atlanta because my local store has no Zappa. In fact the cashier asked me "Who?" as bad pop played in the background. Gotta love southern small towns when you have eclectic taste.

Edited by bax

Zappa was my first concert...1975,a mindblowing experience to say the least!

I saw him again in the early 80's (82 I think)...it was a LOT more jam oriented,Frank was on fire man,it was so fucking cool...Frank was really letting loose with his solos!

one of my all time fav guitarists