GNR Playing Australia!

Nick85

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!!! I almost fainted when I heard this news, I checked ticketek and typed in Guns n Roses and they're listed. I had to check it twice, 3 times, 4 times, just so I wasn't dreaming. This is a dream come true for me, I am going to try to go to 3 shows, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney , but I will definitly be going to the Melbourne and Sydney shows, can't damm wait, and it's only like 6 weeks away. OMG, I think I am gonna die. I am booking my plane tickets to go to melbourne next week. Anyone live in Melbourne, this is the first time I've ever been there except at the airport once. Does anyone know of any good hotels next to the venue.

WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna see Guns n Roses!!!!!!!!!..............................

rock3 rock2 rock4rock3 :xmasssanta:

Some pictures of the Burswood Dome:

shackrn6.jpg

Axl's gonna rip that joint up.

Man ... That is how Perth feels some times. I'm so shocked they announced a Perth date, I'm gonna get a ticket the moment they go on sale, maybe it'll get cancelled but I'm gonna cross my fingers. I would love a chance to see them, last time they came to this country (they didn't come to Perth), I was 8 years old. Please Axl and gang... be like only a handful of bands and go through will your comitted show in Perth.

I was gonna go see Korn but I was sure they'd cancel so I didn't get a ticket... then they did come after all. I won't make the same mistake again.

i think this is so cool. the bestest of guns fans on here are from Oz and they're like really die hard and this is just a forum, prolly tons more out there and they've had a bum deal all this time. i wish i could fucking i go, for some reason i get the idea that these/those gigs are gonna rock the hardest. nothin like a buncha convicts to tear a motherfucker up!! :):):)

Edited by frankwhite

fucking hyper still, i've already got 3 mates from school that will be coming with me if they can get the money for the tickets...SO PUMPED rock3

i thought they would of have used the MCG for the concert down in Melbourne

Edited by kingwillie

I think its very cool to hear that Axl and GNR returning to Australia for a tour. Bit surprised at the choice of venues though, bit small though I've read these venues are the next biggest without upgrading to stadiums. Expect major sellouts (within hours?) for all venues so hope each place gets a second night. Anybody have any idea of how much ticket prices are gonna be? Heard Acer Arena has a 5-tier seating system, guessing its gonna be more expensive the closer you are to the stage. Anybody know? Also anyone know how much the merchandise might be like tourbook/t-shirts?

A new report from the Brisbane Times on the forthcoming tour of Oz:

Lovers of rock music and tight denim shorts unite: Guns N' Roses, the original sleaze-rock band, will return to Australia in June for their first concert tour in 14 years.

But fans hoping to relive the group's 1993 Use Your Illusion concert at Eastern Creek Raceway may be disappointed. Axl Rose, above, remains as frontman, but he is the sole original band member.

The music promoter Paul Dainty announced the Australian concert dates yesterday as part of the group's Chinese Democracy world tour, named after their long-awaited fourth album of original material, expected to be released later this year.

Supported by Australia's Rose Tattoo, the band will play in Sydney and Melbourne and, for the first time, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth. In a nod to nostalgia, they will also be joined by Sebastian Bach, the former singer with fellow hard rockers Skid Row, who supported Guns N' Roses on their last Australian tour.

WHEN they arrived in Australia in 1993, US group Guns N' Roses were bigger than any stadium.

So they played racetracks, exceeding the noise mere cars could make with their epic head-banging rock.

At Calder Park, 75,000 people turned up on a stinking 38-degree day to see charismatic singer Axl Rose rip through hits from the group's million-selling albums Appetite for Destruction, G N' R Lies and Use Your Illusion.

It was a brilliant disaster, culminating in a State Ombudsman report to Parliament. Now they're back, announcing a June 15 concert at Rod Laver Arena. As they did 14 years ago, rockers Skid Row and local heroes Rose Tattoo will support the controversial LA band who fell apart in spectacular fashion and haven't released a studio album since 1991.

Their world tour, announced yesterday, goes by the name of the album that Rose — the only original member of the line-up coming to Australia — has dabbled with for more than a decade: Chinese Democracy.

Even by the record industry's standards of insanity, ego and excess, the estimated $18 million that has been sunk into Chinese Democracy is a stunning achievement.

Producers and executives despaired as Rose retreated to his Malibu mansion full of snakes, religious paraphernalia and weaponry.

He became a recluse, reportedly sleeping all day, looking up his name on the internet and communicating almost entirely by email.

An internet post from the band's tour manager in February said — not for the first time — that "recording for the album has been completed".

But Rose has been active. This year Guns N' Roses have played 80 shows on the first leg of their world tour. Only two needed to be rescheduled, said local promoter Paul Dainty, who is confident cancelled tours, false starts and no-shows are behind them.

"There's no question as to their reputation (but) that's more in the past," he said. "They've done 80 shows in the northern hemisphere … that's proven they can do it."

Still, Rose has lost none of his mystery. Despite the lengthy negotiations, Dainty has never spoken to the 45-year-old star.

"I've spoken to his PA (personal assistant) … he doesn't really have a manager. Business people do the deal," he said.

Rose could be heard in the background of some calls, Dainty said, and any demands and questions from the star had been "common sense".

The Calder Park gig in February 1993 was pure chaos. Women were forced to urinate on the ground in view of other concert-goers, one teenager became comatose after her medication was confiscated by security guards and there was no shade for volunteer first aid staff treating the 1726 people who became dehydrated — a severe shortage of drinking water forced people to sip from toilet water supplies. Finally, police argued with public transport officials after thousands were stranded and later dumped in the city late at night.

Touring Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney with Rose this year are guitarists Robin Finck, Ron Thal and Richard Fortus, bassist Tommy Stinson, keyboard players Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman and drummer Frank Ferrer. Tickets go on sale on April 26.

Edited by mangas

Do you know the difference between the old band gigs in 1993 and the next new band gigs in 2007?

in 1993 it was about a band, in 2007 it's just about one man. Sad.

not how I see it. and if you see it that way, u proboboly shouldnt waste your time here. Seriously, they are a great BAND. Not as good as original, but damn good. rock1

Edited by Gunzen

To those living in Brisbane and have been to the BEC where would be the best areas to view the concert, that is seating or GA. Is the GA standing only? If in GA is it hard to make your way to the front once your in there? or better view from seating to the side? Coming from Darwin and have never been to BEC.

Don't know about presale tickets. I'm assuming there will be several tiers of pricing, closer you get the more expensive and no information has been released yet but it'll come soon enough and then there will be a mad rush to line up and buy em. I'm hoping tickets wont be too much ($100 each would be nice) as a bunch of us are wanting to go plus we wanna get the merchandise and accomodation in Sydney and Melbourne though we'll skip the accomodation and travel back the same night if necessary to cut down on costs. Its a sure bet people will be selling tickets at inflated prices on eBay though there will probably be a crackdown on that closer to the actual dates of the concerts - and eBay themselves might pull tickets. Hope the tour gets widespread coverage when the band arrives, anybody know if Channel V are planning to cover it on pay-tv? They've got a Rock Room show on their channel now and Headbangers Ball is on MTV Australia so it'd be cool to see them do a GNR special/segment. Plus Rage might even do a GNR videoclip marathon which would be great.

Yeah I agree, cant see Axl doing much in the way of any press while here. Remember seeing some press conference with the old GNR with Slash and Duff and Norman Gunston asking them questions but Axl nowhere in sight - hiding out as usual.

This time around its gonna be a bit interesting as most people (especially the press) dont really care that much about the other members, they arent really iconic like Slash, so the focus will be more on Axl and he doesnt really do the whole meet and greet kind of thing so it makes it hard for the media to do much in the way of promotion or coverage - I think all we're likely to get during the tour is maybe a handful of news reports and maybe some on MTV Australia and Channel V and maybe a sighting or two.

What would be very cool is for VH1 Australia to do a metal weekend of specials for GNR during the tour - so far they've done Behind The Music, GNR A-Z (very funny!) and The Story of Metal Part 1-4. A really cool wish would be to devote a day or the whole weekend to GNR. Air the above specials along with career retrospectives, interviews from the vault and interview some of the other members of the band if Axl wont do any press - maybe even get them to talk about the whole Chinese Democracy tour and their highs and lows on the road. Maybe even take calls from fans and have a phone-in. That would be very cool.

Yeah I agree, cant see Axl doing much in the way of any press while here. Remember seeing some press conference with the old GNR with Slash and Duff and Norman Gunston asking them questions but Axl nowhere in sight - hiding out as usual.

This time around its gonna be a bit interesting as most people (especially the press) dont really care that much about the other members, they arent really iconic like Slash, so the focus will be more on Axl and he doesnt really do the whole meet and greet kind of thing so it makes it hard for the media to do much in the way of promotion or coverage - I think all we're likely to get during the tour is maybe a handful of news reports and maybe some on MTV Australia and Channel V and maybe a sighting or two.

What would be very cool is for VH1 Australia to do a metal weekend of specials for GNR during the tour - so far they've done Behind The Music, GNR A-Z (very funny!) and The Story of Metal Part 1-4. A really cool wish would be to devote a day or the whole weekend to GNR. Air the above specials along with career retrospectives, interviews from the vault and interview some of the other members of the band if Axl wont do any press - maybe even get them to talk about the whole Chinese Democracy tour and their highs and lows on the road. Maybe even take calls from fans and have a phone-in. That would be very cool.

I disagree.......look at how many non-Americans are on this board......hell only one Moderator is a American (no-offense ment).....I expect Axl will do tons of press......thats were more and more his fanbase is....."overseas"

Was thinking about ticket prices tonight and taking a look at other tours I'm figuring they'll range from around $60/$80 for general admission up to maybe $150 for seating closer to the stage. Guess it depends on the deal cut between Axl's management and the promoter. Plus the fact that they're doing smaller venues would logically mean bigger prices for seating closer to the stage so the promoter makes a good enough profit for bringing them out here. Listening to other friends of mine talk about the upcoming tour, most are hoping tix are around the $100 mark.

The tour is getting a lot of attention in the press, mostly newspaper. Might be something about the tour on Max TV's next episode of The Know as they have details about the tour on their website and they usually cover upcoming tours. Speaking of Max, there's a good chance they could air a GNR special during the tour as they have the rights to a heap of programming from a variety of sources like award shows and Much Music and the only special I remember seeing on their channel to date was a Loving GNR 1-hour special which was a videoclip retrospective.