Motley Crue!

Chris Axl

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second what they said!

Too Fast For Love was their best album. Shout At The Devil is close, but Too Fast For Love is just pure and raw all the way.. Shout has sadly some bad tracks. Dr. Feelgood is a good album while Girls Girls Girls and Theatre of Pain has a couple good songs, while most of it is under avarage. The rest of the albums isnt worth to mention. Except from a few good tracks like Primal Scream etc.

I love Mötley Crüe! I'm going to see them in Oslo too on wednsday :D And Nikki Sixx is just hot :wub:

let me know if theres a after party :xmassrudolph:

Well, there is one. But you have to be on a guest list or have a ticket (and be 23 years old). <_<

I love Mötley Crüe! I'm going to see them in Oslo too on wednsday :D And Nikki Sixx is just hot :wub:

Well, there is one. But you have to be on a guest list or have a ticket (and be 23 years old). <_<

oh yeah.....the one with Tommy Lee....... Wish I was 23 :(

They released one good album in 1994 with John Corabi on vocals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6tley_Cr%C3%BCe_(album)

It flopped on release but over time has become regarded by many critics and fans as the best work they ever did. The backstory behind it is just as interesting as the music itself, including their dedication to no smoking, sex, red meat or alcohol/drugs while recording for ten months. Personally, "Misunderstood" is one of my favorite rock songs of the '90s, and Corabi's vocals are far better than Neil's ever were.

Lyrically, Corabi's influence pushed away from the band's usual themes of sex and rebellion. While working with Sixx on the lyrics, Corabi would refer to himself as "the normal guy," and Sixx as "the demented guy," which Sixx thought was a good balance for what they were trying to achieve for the album.[2] Songs such as "Power to the Music" and "Droppin' Like Flies" were attempts at introspection and commentary on the state of the world, including then current events such as the 1992 Los Angeles riots, and the battle over music censorship. The song "Uncle Jack" was about Corabi's uncle, a convicted child molester,[1] and "Misunderstood" was a song about people who were trying to deal with the fact that life had passed them by. Some songs still had more familiar themes, including "Smoke the Sky," which was about marijuana use, and "Poison Apples," which was about the decadent Rock 'N Roll lifestyle that the band was famous for living.

Vince Neil's voice is part of what ruined the band's potential, along with Mick Mars' awful guitar skills. They were much more suited as a band towards power chords and grungy songs, which is why their self-titled album is my favorite. And there are no annoying hair metal screeches on it.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Vince Neil's voice is part of what ruined the band's potential, along with Mick Mars' awful guitar skills. They were much more suited as a band towards power chords and grungy songs, which is why their self-titled album is my favorite. And there are no annoying hair metal screeches on it.

:rolleyes: You ever wonder why Corabi was only around for one album? Cause he sucked! He did to Motley Crue what Blaze Bayley did to Iron Maiden, made them a joke. The only good song from the slef titled album is Misunderstood

:rolleyes: You ever wonder why Corabi was only around for one album? Cause he sucked! He did to Motley Crue what Blaze Bayley did to Iron Maiden, made them a joke. The only good song from the slef titled album is Misunderstood

No, he was only around for one album because Elektra Records wanted Neil back. If anything, Corabi won the band more artistic respect at that point because the album gained a lot of attention for stronger songwriting - especially years later. It has become a pretty big "cult" album in comparison to Generation Swine and New Tattoo which are often still hated by fans.

After Dr. Feelgood was a chart-topper, Elektra signed the Crue for $25 million, a record-setting amount at the time. They were slated to release three original albums for the label.

During pre-production on their self-titled album, Neil got in a fight with Sixx and left the band. Lee and Sixx didn't tell the label because they feared that the contract could be withdrawn, so they secretly hired Corabi, who wrote most of the lyrical content for the album. When the label found out, they were pissed, and the record bombed because:

a ) the label didn't support it

B) Sixx threatened an interviewer at MTV and thus ruined any support they had from the outlet to promote the album

c ) the tour was scrapped

d) Nirvana

So, it flopped.

Corabi wrote - by the band's admission - 80% of the material for the follow-up album, Generation Swine (titled Personality #9 at the time). Sixx and Lee had meetings with Elektra bosses who tried to coerce them into firing Corabi and bringing back Neil. They looked at it from an investment sense: they had spent $25 million on what they thought was a 100% successful line-up. They were too stupid to understand that grunge had killed off hair metal and that was why the last album had really flopped.

Nikki and Tommy wouldn't listen to the label, so the bosses at Elektra hired a guy to manage the band one-on-one and this guy harassed Corabi continually in an effort to make him quit on his own behalf. It worked. Not only did Mars and Sixx both hate the manager who was placed there, but he bugged Corabi so much that Corabi quit the band and later sued for $4 million due to the fact that he received no credit for material and also for slander.

Neil re-joined the band - and Generation Swine is to this day often considered their all-time worst album and it was also a financial flop.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Yeah me too.. Maybe I'll bribe with some nudity :tongue2: Nah...

Yeah me too.. Maybe I'll bribe with some nudity :tongue2: Nah...

:lol:

Don't care for most of their catalogue, but I really do like about ten of their songs. Especially Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away) and Wildside.

ER, you really think Mars' guitar skills are awful? A friend of mine who plays guitar considers him one of the guitar gods (which depends on the type of players you like I suppose, Mars doesn't seem as technically competent as a Buckethead or Zakk Wylde). I'm really not too intimately familiar with his work, but on the songs I do like I think he does a great job. His playing is perfect for that kind of music.

ER, you really think Mars' guitar skills are awful? A friend of mine who plays guitar considers him one of the guitar gods (which depends on the type of players you like I suppose, Mars doesn't seem as technically competent as a Buckethead or Zakk Wylde). I'm really not too intimately familiar with his work, but on the songs I do like I think he does a great job. His playing is perfect for that kind of music.

I'd just like to point out - that he does so damn well considering he suffers from a degenerative bone disorder. He's awesome. Perhaps not Bucket or Zakk, true - but he's still a cool guitarist.

It flopped on release but over time has become regarded by many critics and fans as the best work they ever did. The backstory behind it is just as interesting as the music itself, including their dedication to no smoking, sex, red meat or alcohol/drugs while recording for ten months. Personally, "Misunderstood" is one of my favorite rock songs of the '90s, and Corabi's vocals are far better than Neil's ever were.

Okay, thank goodness someone else liked this album. After I made my post yesterday, I knew I had forgotten to write about this one. The whole band sounded better, and I didn't mind John Corabi at all. I REALLY wish they had kept him for Generation Swine.

I'd just like to point out - that he does so damn well considering he suffers from a degenerative bone disorder. He's awesome. Perhaps not Bucket or Zakk, true - but he's still a cool guitarist.

I know he has a bone disorder. They had a special Guitar World issue a year or so ago with a massive interview with Mars, and the interviewer mentions to him how many other guitarists consider him one of the worst of all-time (he said this to his face!!) and Mars responded by detailing his health issues and he said other things that I can't remember. I was always shocked that an interviewer would say something like that to the person he's interviewing, but it was interesting nevertheless.

I wouldn't say he's one of the worst, but I don't really like his style at all. I don't care that he's not virtuoso - it's just very uninspired IMO. He doesn't really play with soul or emotion, and at the same time he doesn't have the skill to make up for this with technical prowess. He's just kind of an average guitarist IMO.

I know he has a bone disorder. They had a special Guitar World issue a year or so ago with a massive interview with Mars, and the interviewer mentions to him how many other guitarists consider him one of the worst of all-time (he said this to his face!!) and Mars responded by detailing his health issues and he said other things that I can't remember. I was always shocked that an interviewer would say something like that to the person he's interviewing, but it was interesting nevertheless.

I wouldn't say he's one of the worst, but I don't really like his style at all. I don't care that he's not virtuoso - it's just very uninspired IMO. He doesn't really play with soul or emotion, and at the same time he doesn't have the skill to make up for this with technical prowess. He's just kind of an average guitarist IMO.

Shrug, he's still cool. And manages to rock out quite nicely in places. Glam wasn't really known to produce virtuosos

Shrug, he's still cool. And manages to rock out quite nicely in places. Glam wasn't really known to produce virtuosos

um, ever heard of George lynch, nuno bettencourt, warren demartini, steve vai

all those guys came from 80s bands and were virtuosos.

Mick is a GOOD guitarist by todays standards. but when he was out in the 80s around guys who were shredders he was underrated.

I guess most of you think I hate Motley Crue cus of Vince/Axl.

But I really like their music, its great!

I think Vince voice (in studio) is one of the coolest voices EVER, its just so raw and angry. love it! rock3

But hes live voice(from what ive heard) isnt that good......IMO.

Tommy is one of the coolest drummers ever and his drum beats are amazing to.

My fav songs are Wild Side and Dr Feelgood rock1 rock3

Gonna see em next wedensday! can't fucking wait!!

I disagree about Vince. He sounds fake and contrived. Never got into their image because I don't believe it coming from them.

That said, some of their music's not bad.

those first two albums, "Too Fast For Love" and "Shout At The Devil", were the real deal and they were genuine. after success and Vince's car wreck, they were never the same. granted, they had some good tunes and alot of commercial success, but they were a product after that. but, like I said, on those first two albums they were fucking bad ass.

Guest Yanni_16

Lyrically, Corabi's influence pushed away from the band's usual themes of sex and rebellion. While working with Sixx on the lyrics, Corabi would refer to himself as "the normal guy," and Sixx as "the demented guy," which Sixx thought was a good balance for what they were trying to achieve for the album.[2] Songs such as "Power to the Music" and "Droppin' Like Flies" were attempts at introspection and commentary on the state of the world, including then current events such as the 1992 Los Angeles riots, and the battle over music censorship. The song "Uncle Jack" was about Corabi's uncle, a convicted child molester,[1] and "Misunderstood" was a song about people who were trying to deal with the fact that life had passed them by. Some songs still had more familiar themes, including "Smoke the Sky," which was about marijuana use, and "Poison Apples," which was about the decadent Rock 'N Roll lifestyle that the band was famous for living.

I find it ironic that a fan of Guns N' Roses would complain of a vocalist being too "screechy"...

Edited by Yanni_16