Slash: "I'd love to have the original band play."

GnR Chris

Another thread on this, seriously?

The fact that Axl is touring and making music without Slash does indicate that it might be down to Axl why they are not performing. That's just common sense. There not playing, get over it and get on with your lives.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RonMexico82

Axl Rose is going to go down in Rock N Rol history as the most small minded, petty, childish, grudge holding asshole to ever grace the stage. Way to go Axl.

Axl Rose is going to go down in Rock N Rol history as the most small minded, petty, childish, grudge holding asshole to ever grace the stage. Way to go Axl.

I am afraid that perception of him has been established a long time ago and will not easily change, even if he attends HOF, graciously accepts the reward, and acts cordially with the former members. People demand that he dance to their flute, even if it means to play some old songs with Slash when it risks jeopardizing his plans for Guns N' Roses. People are very selfish.

So Uncle Axl has 3 choices for april 14th - and I think just 2 of them would really make sense:

1. Don't attend the whole thing - axl will be seen as the big asshole and the one person who ruined everything. On the other hand he would make clear - once and for all - that he doesn't want to deal with anything related to the old band and maybe a lot of fans would have to accept the fact that a reunion will definitly never ever happen. I also expect some ugly words from the other guys especially slash if that happens after the ceremony in several interviews.

2. Attend and play - Axl would be the winner of the day including gaining more love and respect also from the fanbase of the old band. Of course reunion rumors would spread like crazy but that has been the case since all the other guys left but this could also be avoided by the man himself if he clearly communicates that its just for this one night and for the fans only bla bla bla

3. Attend and don't play - this wouldn't really make sense. What reason would he have to do this? Everyone would see that there is still bad blood between these guys - as Axl doesn't want to perform - so why attend this whole thing anyway? Would the fans of the old band stop hoping for a reunion - NO - would it help Axl to gain more respect - NO - would it help nuGNR being more respected - NO.

As Axl has always been someone who takes either one side or the other - and nothing in between - I tend to bet he will either do point 1 or 2.

Slash, if you want to play with the original members so badly, then just CONTACT Axl.

''Oh I don't think we'll play blablabla, we haven't talked blablabla.''

You know Axl will never be the first one to contact the others for things like this, if you really wanna do this Slash, YOU should start contacting them.

The guy should grow some balls.

Edited by UcudBmineCD

I am afraid that perception of him has been established a long time ago and will not easily change, even if he attends HOF, graciously accepts the reward, and acts cordially with the former members. People demand that he dance to their flute, even if it means to play some old songs with Slash when it risks jeopardizing his plans for Guns N' Roses. People are very selfish.

But it's not gonna jeapordize anything it really isn't! Least not more so than what he's currently doing. This is how things are right now okay. The people who are fans of the new band and support what Axl's doing now are still going to feel that way after the ceremony no matter what happens whereas those people who couldn't give a fuck about the new band probably have no interest in the HOF anyway as the band has been dead since the mid 90's for them. The only other people to consider are the die hards on these forums who are keeping a very close eye on this and know exactly how things stand. The thought of some huge untapped audience that will suddenly decide that NuGnR are the greatest thing in the world if only Axl keeps it up long enough is a total fallacy!

There is one thing in the way of the future success of Nu or Old GnR and that's Axl Rose. If he starts releasing good new music with any lineup people are going to take notice and if he decides on a reunion tour with the real band THEN and only then will he see anything like the success of the old days. Thing is I'm not that bothered about a reunion but a couple of songs on the 14th will be a nice thank you to the fans who like me have supported Guns for over 25 years now. I don't even really want to see a reunion cos I don't think the music would be all that great. To be honest I don't have any confidence in the Nu band being able to release anything good either and I think Axl kinda blew his chance to make himself relevant and escape the shadow of the old band when Bucket left.

Classic Slash to blame it all on Axl. Also classic that some people in here fall for that old trick.

Errrr, Slash wants to play, Duff is cool with that and Steven also said he wants to play. Izzy has also been quoted plenty of times saying he's happy to play with the old guys and actually has played with all of them in recent years. So tell me then, based on that who do you think is the reason we're not seeing a performance on April 14th?

Hi smart ass. And how do you know that Axl doesn't have sufficient reason to still be angry with Slash? From what Axl have said, Slash has made every effort in the past to make Axl look bad. So now it's Axl who's the bad guy for not wanting to play music with this guy?

Great reasoning there...

But it's not gonna jeapordize anything it really isn't! Least not more so than what he's currently doing. This is how things are right now okay. The people who are fans of the new band and support what Axl's doing now are still going to feel that way after the ceremony no matter what happens whereas those people who couldn't give a fuck about the new band probably have no interest in the HOF anyway as the band has been dead since the mid 90's for them. The only other people to consider are the die hards on these forums who are keeping a very close eye on this and know exactly how things stand. The thought of some huge untapped audience that will suddenly decide that NuGnR are the greatest thing in the world if only Axl keeps it up long enough is a total fallacy!

There is one thing in the way of the future success of Nu or Old GnR and that's Axl Rose. If he starts releasing good new music with any lineup people are going to take notice and if he decides on a reunion tour with the real band THEN and only then will he see anything like the success of the old days. Thing is I'm not that bothered about a reunion but a couple of songs on the 14th will be a nice thank you to the fans who like me have supported Guns for over 25 years now. I don't even really want to see a reunion cos I don't think the music would be all that great. To be honest I don't have any confidence in the Nu band being able to release anything good either and I think Axl kinda blew his chance to make himself relevant and escape the shadow of the old band when Bucket left.

Classic Slash to blame it all on Axl. Also classic that some people in here fall for that old trick.

Errrr, Slash wants to play, Duff is cool with that and Steven also said he wants to play. Izzy has also been quoted plenty of times saying he's happy to play with the old guys and actually has played with all of them in recent years. So tell me then, based on that who do you think is the reason we're not seeing a performance on April 14th?

Hi smart ass. And how do you know that Axl doesn't have sufficient reason to still be angry with Slash? From what Axl have said, Slash has made every effort in the past to make Axl look bad. So now it's Axl who's the bad guy for not wanting to play music with this guy?

Great reasoning there...

LOL. You're really going to town on that one. :crazy: I believe if Slash and Axl shake hands you'll commit suicide right?

From what Axl have said, Slash has made every effort in the past to make Axl look bad. So now it's Axl who's the bad guy for not wanting to play music with this guy?

In 2012, the only person that can make Axl look bad is Axl himself. However he may still feel about Slash, if Axl takes the high road he is golden. If not, it's all on him.

I have no strong feelings on this subject and don't really think Axl performing will have a huge influence on what he is trying to achieve with the current lineup, but I do see the possibility that such a performance -- if not handled correctly -- can lead to renewed demands from the reunionists, but perhaps more importantly, from business people that he must interact with regularly, and I can clearly understand -- if this is the case -- that that is something Axl wants to avoid, both because it detracts from the current lineup and might actually make it harder for the new band to succeed but also because he is probably really fed up with everybody nagging about a reunion.

Again, no strong feelings about this, and a performance could probably have little to no adverse affect on the current lineup if handled correctly (e.g. making it explicitly clear that this is a one-off performance, plugging the summer tour) but as long as there is a potential negative affect -- and let's be honest, Axl is beter suited to judge this for himself -- I can not condemn him for his decision.

And then over to another reason why the lineup shouldn't perform: The risk of damaging the fantastic reputation and legacy that particular lineup has. In my opinion this reputation is exaggerated, not because they weren't a great live band, but because they weren't such a great live band. And even more so, because what made them such a great live band, the danger, the unpredictability, the hunger, the unity, is either long gone or will not be part of a one-off performance. Again, as a disclaimer, I must say I don't feel that a bad performance from middle-aged men with various degrees of animosity singing, will ruin the reputation, but I feel it will make it more obvious to people that old Guns wasn't all that, after all, and hence it could be slightly damaging to it. Best to let it just be, and perhaps exaggerate it even more and make old guns even more mythical by not revealing anything contrary.

Yes, I agree with all this, but I do think you slightly undervalue the effect a performance could have on the future of the current lineup, and the damage on the legacy of old guns.

Ideally, I'd love to have the original band actually get up there and play [...] But like, from very early on I knew — I got the vibe that that's not gonna happen.

Yes, Slash, I would also like to see the original band play, but alas, Ole is dead.

Ideally, I'd love to have the original band actually get up there and play [...] But like, from very early on I knew — I got the vibe that that's not gonna happen.

Yes, Slash, I would also like to see the original band play, but alas, Ole is dead.

original.jpg

Great reasoning there...

LOL. You're really going to town on that one. :crazy: I believe if Slash and Axl shake hands you'll commit suicide right?

Huh? Ok, you don't seem to understand this very simple logic. Let me try to explain this to you in a way that you can understand.

Example: A friend of yours screw your girlfriend. You're enemies for years and then some of your friends are starting to ask why you just can't patch things up. The other guy who screwed your girl, says: "Yeah, I'd like for us to friends again, I'm cool with that". Then you say: "fuck no, he screwed by girl, I will never forgive him"

Seems very simple to understand to me, so I don't know what's so confusing to you.

Huh? Ok, you don't seem to understand this very simple logic. Let me try to explain this to you in a way that you can understand.

Example: A friend of yours screw your girlfriend. You're enemies for years and then some of your friends are starting to ask why you just can't patch things up. The other guy who screwed your girl, says: "Yeah, I'd like for us to friends again, I'm cool with that". Then you say: "fuck no, he screwed by girl, I will never forgive him"

Seems very simple to understand to me, so I don't know what's so confusing to you.

Cool story bro. Nobody is criticizing Axl for not wanting to perform (at least not me). He might have his own reasons which I'm fine with. I don't know where this "You banged my ex-girlfriend" comes from.

Axl isn't stopping anything. For fuck sake, I'm getting annoyed as hell by all these RNRHOF threads.

This place has become a dump since all that crap started.

EVERYONE from the old band is stopping it. If they all want to play so badly and want to do it for the fans, then why haven't they all contacted eachother? Axl would be the last person to make an effort, but if the other guys want to play and just try ro contact him. Who knows what will come from it?

If there will be an interview where Slash, Duff, Izzy or Steven says: ''Well, we talked with Axl and he doesn't want to do it.'' THEN you people can point fingers at Axl.

I'm not saying the angry red one is willing to play, but the others sure as hell didn't contact him yet.

Axl isn't stopping anything. For fuck sake, I'm getting annoyed as hell by all these RNRHOF threads.

EVERYONE from the old band is stopping it. If they all want to play so badly and want to do it for the fans, then why haven't they all contacted eachother? Axl would be the last person to make an effort, but if the other guys want to play and just try ro contact him. Who knows what will come from it?

If there will be an interview where Slash, Duff, Izzy or Steven says: ''Well, we talked with Axl and he doesn't want to do it.'' THEN you people can point fingers at Axl.

I'm not saying the angry red one is willing to play, but the others sure as hell didn't contact him yet.

What's up with the long-ass spaces?

LOL. The issue here is probably a little bigger than that considering Axl has screwed Slash's girl (Yvonne) but they got past that...

I'd say this was more of a bad divorce situation, one where a couple that was once madly in love get divorced and do everything in their power to screw eachother over.

What's up with the long-ass spaces?

I'm on MDMA rite now

if slash ever wanted to have any future with axl he would just hang out accept the award and see how things go...not put pressure on axl to play together after all these years...

Ya that would be the keen idea, and the one I'm guessing one that Axl may have been trying to send him (and the others too for that matter) as a signal for all these years lol!

same shit...slash is presetting the blame on axl...and putting pressure on him...instead of being a man and just saying we decided not to play.

How Is Slash putting the blame on Axl when all he said was that he would love to have the original band play as every other original member has, except one.

No blame is being put here, he simply states his side of it. He would like to play, but haven't talked to Axl. He doesn't know. That's all there is to it. If you wanna read it as something else you're just plain stupid. This is all on Axl anyway, so no point in denying that. If Axl want's to play, they'll play, if not, it ain't gonna happen.

No matter what happens, I doubt we'll know about it before they either are on stage, or the ceremony is over, and it didn't happen.

More ...

"I mean I think it would be cool to play, but very early on when the whole thing came up, it became apparent that it wasn't going to happen — and you know, that doesn't surprise me. We've been at odds for… well, not at odds, but we just haven't had any sort of communication in a long time so… that's basically it. That's all I can tell you."

Yet Axl and his management remains silent. They will offer a different side of the story.

Well, Axl has said in his brief public comments about the HoF that he doesn't want to ruin it for anybody (meaning the fans). He seems to have softened his stance as far as former members are concerned. I wasn't realistically thinking they'd all play, but I was hoping they'd all take the stage and publicly bury any hatchet (real or perceived). Perhaps then fewer people here would debate the whole Axl vs. Slash thing and we can all just be fans of Guns N' Roses.

Yeah, I think that's true as he seemed okay with it during the Eddie Trunk interview on TMS.

I'm hoping GNR are just trying to keep it a secret and will play that night. I think that would be so fuckin awesome and give us fans such a special surprise.

either way, I'm just glad all the original members are going to be there to accept the award. I really hope whoever inducts them is someone GNR likes and likes them back.

I guess we'll find out in April and see it on HBO in May.