Press conference in Jakarta

izzydoezit

Why should Axl release any new music at all? Just to please a couple of thousands of hard-core GnR forum fans? Because sure as hell the millions of casual GnR fans out there couldn't care less about new music...

Sadly, you might not be far from the truth... Chidem gets absolutely BLASTED in mainstream media. Just yesterday there was a top 10 GnR countdown and prior to no.1(SCOM) the presenter mentioned how the band imploded and Chidem came out like 14 years later without an impact. I really don't see many people disagreeing with her...

Exactly.

Just yesterday I sat with a couple of entitled GnR fans of my generation (mid thirties) and they said they loved GnR music but didn't even know about CD at all!! For them GnR was, is and always will be about Axl & Slash, the iconic music videos and the timeless hits. Nothing will ever top that, so people just enjoy the shows while they last...

Their music was timeless. SCOM, Jungle and November Rain(to lesser extent) all struck chords with the youth of the time. Those songs are symbolic of alot of peoples fond memories. Those songs have something that today's music lacks, maybe it's last-ability or being meaningful. Today's music is just like fast food, meant to be digested quickly. I love Chidem, but Gun's old classics set the bar VERY high for the mainstream fans.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Chidem, but Gun's old classics set the bar VERY high for the mainstream fans.

Nah, it's the fans that set the bar too high for themselves.

Yeh.. Because that makes any sense at all... SCOM and Jungle are both timeless classics. They are still played EVERYWHERE today. Hell you go to a bar with a live band playing, chances are they will play SCOM. Go to a sporting venue, chances are you will hear Jungle through the speakers. Turn on a classic rock station, chances are you will hear Nightrain. 25 years on. Just like Stairway to Heaven, Dream on, Sweet Home Alabama etc. Those songs reached more than just their contemporary audience.

I love Chidem, but Gun's old classics set the bar VERY high for the mainstream fans.

Yeh.. Because that makes any sense at all... SCOM and Jungle are both timeless classics. They are still played EVERYWHERE today. Hell you go to a bar with a live band playing, chances are they will play SCOM. Go to a sporting venue, chances are you will hear Jungle through the speakers. Turn on a classic rock station, chances are you will hear Nightrain. 25 years on. Just like Stairway to Heaven, Dream on, Sweet Home Alabama etc. Those songs reached more than just their contemporary audience.

:thumbsup:

Because GNR did exactly what the label wanted them to do back then. They did interviews, promotions, music videos, etc all kinds of things that none of those guys will do now. Steven Adler doesn't do music videos for adlers appetite, I didn't even know izzy released a new solo album somewhat recently. Slash is the only sell out from that group, as he's done videos, and covered paradise city with CYPRESS HILL AND FERGIE. He played with the black eyed peas at the superbowl. As much as ashba annoys people, Slash is hardly that much better personality wise. He tells you and me what we wanna hear, then goes for the fame and paycheck.

GNR could have taken chinese to a better level, but chose not to based on what those songs that you named did. Chinese was a guranteed let down no matter what, but Axl believed that for things to happen the label were going to have to do things his way, not theirs, which Azoff disagreed with.

And who are we kidding..Axl is a perfectionist. He's not putting out any more records as long as he sounds like mickey mouse.

Plus, it was just a different era for music. Kids loved that shit then, now they love stuff they can dance to that's "pop".

Edited by AxlRose14

Because GNR did exactly what the label wanted them to do back then. They did interviews, promotions, music videos, etc all kinds of things that none of those guys will do now. Steven Adler doesn't do music videos for adlers appetite, I didn't even know izzy released a new solo album somewhat recently. Slash is the only sell out from that group, as he's done videos, and covered paradise city with CYPRESS HILL AND FERGIE. He played with the black eyed peas at the superbowl. As much as ashba annoys people, Slash is hardly that much better personality wise. He tells you and me what we wanna hear, then goes for the fame and paycheck.

GNR could have taken chinese to a better level, but chose not to based on what those songs that you named did. Chinese was a guranteed let down no matter what, but Axl believed that for things to happen the label were going to have to do things his way, not theirs, which Azoff disagreed with.

And who are we kidding..Axl is a perfectionist. He's not putting out any more records as long as he sounds like mickey mouse.

Plus, it was just a different era for music. Kids loved that shit then, now they love stuff they can dance to that's "pop".

I have noticed some of the only people who claim Slash is a "sellout" are kids who weren't around for GnR's glory days. This is his PROFESSION.Can you grasp that concept? How is someone a sellout for doing what they love with as many people as possible? Slash's entire career has been as mainstream as it gets and there is nothing wrong with that.

Did anyone expect actual answers from these dudes at the press conference? I doubt they are embarrassed as they are collecting a nice paycheck to play music and travel the world.

I have noticed some of the only people who claim Slash is a "sellout" are kids who weren't around for GnR's glory days. This is his PROFESSION.Can you grasp that concept? How is someone a sellout for doing what they love with as many people as possible? Slash's entire career has been as mainstream as it gets and there is nothing wrong with that.

Did anyone expect actual answers from these dudes at the press conference? I doubt they are embarrassed as they are collecting a nice paycheck to play music and travel the world.

So because you're old, you can judge slash better? First off, drop the age issue, cuz you still lose that argument no matter what. BBA did your dirty work. Second, Guns N' Roses had done duets with P!ink and Will I.A.M, posters like you would be saying Axl is whoring the name, and things were better in the "Slash" days. Things would never have been that, and idiots like me fr liking those songs would be dumb cuz we weren't around for the "glory days" of the band...

Axl has you pissed off. Slash doesn't. Axl doesn't want to reunite with the old lineup and doesn't even wanna get on stage. IDK, I've just chosen to pick my life battles. My frustration with Axl right now comes down to the fact that it's his call to release new music, and this band refuses to do that. My problem with Slash, is as talented as he is, he without question does tend to SOMETIMES tell people what they want to hear, which is proven considering his comments on Axl and how they've changed over the years. He may be that chill dude you can smoke a joint with anytime, but he feels differently on Axl from time to time and hasn't been 100 percent honest.

I see frustration with izzy..the guys a random ass oddball that wants nothing to do with mainstream. I actually respect that. The only member past or present I dislike is steven adler just based on how bi-polar he is about Axl. One day he loves him, the next he's bitching about him and tossing around reunion offer numbers that even Slash hasn't heard of. If he had kept his mouth shut all of last year, maybe Axl would have felt differently about attending the HOF. You don't insult people and assume they're going to show up because they owe you something.

Slash lies..Axl lies. Neither is superior to the other, and not because I'm pissed at Axl cuz he sounds like mickey mouse and won't release new music. I'm not hating Guns N Roses because they have no say in the process, they're fine musicians. I'm not siding with Slash because I'm pissed at Axl for not doing what I want to do, I'm pissed at Axl, but I'm not forgetting about my frustration with the other guys.

Sorry I wasn't old enough to see the old band live..I'd KILL for them to reunite, but I don't expect it to ever happen. It won't. But I do hope for new Guns N Roses music ASAP.

Great stuff, glad to hear they have tons of stuff in the works and collectively they'll decide what will make the best GnR record. Also I'm sure, as they just all woke up and this was held relatively early in the day, no one there expected Axl to actually show up.

There's my take, glad you all agree!

Does anyone think that Axl didn't show up purposely because he figured everyone would question him and not give the other members a chance to answer any questions?

Just a thought.

To me it looked like the guys were trying to keep a brave face but they looked very uncomfortable to me. I don't think it was fair for them to handle this Q&A alone.

Were they able to answer any questions? I didn't watch all the interview.