Injured fan gunning for Axl

Tabitha27

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/16353045/injured-fan-gunning-for-axl/

14w3ga8.jpg

A Guns N' Roses fan who was injured when lead singer Axl Rose threw his microphone into the crowd at the end of the band's Perth Arena concert on Saturday is taking legal action against the controversial star.

Darren Wright was enjoying the finale of the Guns N' Roses show, which marked the start of the US band's Australian tour, when he was suddenly hit in the mouth by Rose's cordless microphone.

Mr Wright, a 39-year-old pest controller from Kingsley, said the flying microphone damaged his two front teeth and left his mouth bleeding.

"With the bright lights and explosions, I couldn't see anything," he said. "The next thing I knew, I was whacked in the mouth. I thought I had been punched. I was quite stunned and it took a few seconds to realise what was going on. I could feel bits of teeth in my mouth. Then someone is climbing through my legs to grab the microphone."

Mr Wright said he had engaged Perth law firm Hammond Legal to start legal proceedings against the Guns N' Roses lead singer for damages.

"I don't think he intended to do it, but it came at me at a fairly flat and hard trajectory. Those cordless microphones are not light. I'm surprised it didn't do more damage," he said. "At the very least, I want someone to pay to get my teeth fixed."

Mr Wright said he had a cut lip and lost a chunk of one front tooth, painfully exposing the nerve, and chipped the other front tooth.

He said tour promoter Andrew McManus left a message on his mobile telephone apologising for the incident and offering to give him a microphone signed by Rose.

"In reality I don't think the microphone is going to fix my teeth or pay for the dentist," he said. "I'm a father of four on a single income doing it hard in Perth."

Mr Wright said a dentist told him he would have to have months of dental work costing at least $5000.

The Guns N' Roses concert was a blast from the past for Mr Wright, who was 17 when he went to see the band in Melbourne on its first tour of Australia.

"It was my first trip away on my own, I'd saved up my money, and I thought they were fantastic," he said. He grew up idolising the controversial Rose and added: "I don't harbour any ill feelings."

A Perth Arena spokesman said Mr Wright was given first-aid treatment. Mr McManus was contacted for comment yesterday.

Edited by Tabitha27

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I am wrong but I think there is a clause on your ticket that says that the arena and the band are not responsible for any damages done to you. I know I've read clauses like that on baseball ticket stubs or something to that effect.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think there is a clause on your ticket that says that the arena and the band are not responsible for any damages done to you. I know I've read clauses like that on baseball ticket stubs or something to that effect.

I'm quite sure that only pertains to sporting events where there's the possibility of something entering the stands during competition.

I don't have a recent concert ticket stub so I don't remember what it says about stuff like this but yes, I do know there is that clause on baseball game ticket stubs.

It's a bit of a no win situation unfortunately. It's not this guys fault he got whacked in the mouth but it's not like Axl did it on purpose. Shit like this happens and the band or tour promoters should have liability insurance to cover such events.

Amazing it didn't happen sooner. Hope this isn't the end of the microphone chuck.

Personally, I think Axl should pull a 2006 "bite" scene and bite this guy and then maybe his teeth will grow back :rofl-lol:

And anyone who has been to a GNR show knows that the microphone is tossed pretty high in the air . This guy is making it sound like Axl threw it directly at him.

With the bright lights and explosions, I couldn't see anything," he said. "The next thing I knew, I was whacked in the mouth. I thought I had been punched. I was quite stunned and it took a few seconds to realise what was going on. I could feel bits of teeth in my mouth. Then someone is climbing through my legs to grab the microphone."

This is probably what happened. He probably did get punched in the mouth and is trying to blame it on the microphone. And I call bullshit on the lights and not being able to see anything. I've been up front at GNR shows and you can see everything and like I said, the microphone is tossed high in the air and then it beomes a free for all to catch it.

I think Axl should just bite this fucker and problem solved.

I doubt it'll go to court. Axl has many lawyers who take care of shit like this, like so many other entertainers.

When I saw Linkin Park's Projekt Revolution when Korn opened for them, some fans decided to rush the pit and the stupid security guard just threw the kid back. The kid bumped into another guy who was knocked out cold and I was knocked into my seat. Shit happens! But I do regret not tearing into the security guard, but the music was so loud he wouldn't have heard me anyway. My kids were in the pit and I thought I'd be safer in a seat. Goes to show you, shit happens and sometimes fans get hurt. It sucks, but at least the guy didn't get hit in the head or worse. Teeth can be fixed and I'm sure Axl will make good with the money. I'm sure he's sorry too.

Nah it can very hard to see it comin if your not expecting it. I believe the guy got hit and its unfortunate him. I feel if he was better of finacially he wouldnt ve arsed about legal action but what kind fan would refuse a signed mic? He could sell that and pay for his treatment. Theres people on here that would let axl beat the shit outta them just so they can get a mic.

I also think he should see a new dentist if he is charging crazy prices like that.

They should pay his dental care, the real prize, problem solved.

As someone said there would be insurance covering injury like this and calling Axl "contraversial" in this statement is a bit rough, he hasn't been trouble for a long time. If the guy was treated at the venue, the promoters know about it, the band know about it then all that needs to be done is have his dental work paid for. Why on earth bring lawyers into it? Legal action shouldn't be taken unless it was either done on purpose or the promoter refuses to pay, bit of overkill I think.