Question about you, Axl, and Slash...

ZoSoRose

That is a good question, I don't really know. Maybe because he knew that I go back so far with both of them and axl and i were very close. I think my wife and I were just grandfathered in. There were just a few people that were aloud to be in touch with slash and I think he liked the fact that I could maybe be the one to get slash to turn things around someday. I guess that's probably one of the reasons why I thought it would still be ok for me to put out the book. Axl always had a lot or respect for me and trusted my opinion. My big mistake was not talking to him directly about what was going on with my book instead of the people in the camp. It turned out to be a poor choice by me

• Like 1

That is a good question, I don't really know. Maybe because he knew that I go back so far with both of them and axl and i were very close. I think my wife and I were just grandfathered in. There were just a few people that were aloud to be in touch with slash and I think he liked the fact that I could maybe be the one to get slash to turn things around someday. I guess that's probably one of the reasons why I thought it would still be ok for me to put out the book. Axl always had a lot or respect for me and trusted my opinion. My big mistake was not talking to him directly about what was going on with my book instead of the people in the camp. It turned out to be a poor choice by me

Maybe leave him a vm; send him a text; or shoot him a email stating that if you haven't already?

Now there are many reasons why he wouldn't want to talk to me. I think he would be easier to get over the book thing by now but all the interviews that I do and talking about the old band on this site is just too much for him to handle. I'm in too deep to stop now. Plus I enjoy helping people find out info that they want to know about. I'm sure if we ran into each other there would be a lot to talk about and I think it could be the start to healing the wounds between us.

• Like 1

I know he has sean things that he doesn't like. I don't think he reads the site but I'm sure his camp does from time to time. I don't think it would be very healthy for him to read these sites because he doesn't take criticism well and as you already know there all some real Assholes on some of these sites that are just a bunch of pigs.

The fact that he said he didn't read Duff's book in an interview was a sign that he has learned to back away from things like this. I know a few times he read interviews that I did and had some real big problems with the things that I have said. Although I stick up for him it doesn't matter because as soon as I say anything good about Slash it kills the whole thing and he ends thinking that somehow I bad mouthed him. He has thanked me for sticking up for him before but can't deal with the fact that I ride the fence between him and Slash.

Also regardless he doesn't want the old band promoted and even though I have good things to say about the new band, it doesn't work for him. Maybe someday he will see where I'm coming from and will be able to respect it but for now it has to be the way it is. I will go on doing the things I believe is right and he will go on and do what he thinks is right.

Edited by recklessroad
  • Like 1

I guess you can say that but, either way there would have been quotes from it in the press and the internet so he still would have heard things. The thing is that if he had to do it all over again I think he still would have read Slash's book. There is just too much that went wrong between them for Axl not to see what Slash had to say where with Duff it was a lot different.

Also I know Slash didn't read Duff's book either but, I bet if Axl did one that Slash would read it.

Edited by recklessroad

Slash didn't say much about Axl that was detrimental, it was just going over old ground that fans would know anyway. He didn't slam him but did say how he loved him & how close they were at one time. Maybe too close, that's when friendships fall apart is when one knows too much about the other's personal life.

I'm pretty sure that Axl has a whole list of things that Slash said that Axl doesn't agree with.

True but there are also disagreements between Slash and Duff books. In fact both mentioned that those are their own recolection and memories. And they understand that other members may have other point of view and memories about the events. They are open about someone else´s side of the story.

If they complaint about Axl being 2 hours late at gigs for no reason. We all do. We all witness that Axl goes to stage 2 hours late. Axl can´t expect an standing ovation from the whole world for doing that. The problem was that Slash and Duff decided to get drunk instead of being real men a confront Axl. But they addressed that in their book. And they regret not doing anything.

believe me the smallest detail can piss Axl off. Also he can easily misunderstand some things too. He also has some problems seeing that there may be 2 sides to a story with neither one being wrong or lying about something. For what ever reason he is not always able to see it from the other person perspective and therefor puts the blame on them. That is one of the reasons I can't blame him for not seeing or understanding things that went wrong between Slash and him or even between me and him. Thats just the way I think he is wired and it's not his fault.

Edited by recklessroad

Do you think Axl read Steven's book, or is it true that he actually didn't write most of it?

All of them had a ghost writer. They are musicians not writers. However Duff went to college so he took writing classes. That´s an advantage over Slash and Steven. So Duff was capable to add more writing to his book. So how it works? The ghost writer inteviewed and recorded on tape the stories they were telling. And he edited whatever draft they had written.

Marc, have you ever considered just driving to Axl's house, ringing the buzzer, and see where things go from there? All the negative scenarios be damned.

[edit]

Or have you already tried something like this in recent years and it didn't go so well?

Edited by BBA

The book was one thing but the fact that I keep talking about the old band is nothing but a buzz kill for Axl. So yes I think if I went over there and tried to patch things up, I would have to stop doing interviews and talking on the forms. That doesn't work for me because I like doing it. So for now things will have to be the way they are.

If I could go back in time to 1994 and tell him that one day he is not going to want to talk to me because I'm promoting the work that I did that he was so happy with and what the band did from the club days. There would be no way that he would believe me. Things changed for him and he just doesn't want to relive those times anymore. I didn't realize how much my book was going to suck me in to all this. I think if things would have gone better with the publisher that I picked, that I could have just put out the book did a few interviews and some promotion for it and moved on. Because I had to do so much my self to help get the book out, and because so many people still don't know about my work is why I have to keep on it. It's like a child of mine and I love to brag about it. For Axl, it's like the wedding album that he was a part of and because Slash and him had such a falling out (Divorce) is why he no longer loves it. I don't really blame him for no longer loving it but i didn't think he would no longer talk to me because of it knowing how much it meant to me.

Edited by recklessroad

Do you think Axl read Steven's book, or is it true that he actually didn't write most of it?

All of them had a ghost writer. They are musicians not writers. However Duff went to college so he took writing classes. That´s an advantage over Slash and Steven. So Duff was capable to add more writing to his book. So how it works? The ghost writer inteviewed and recorded on tape the stories they were telling. And he edited whatever draft they had written.

Thanks for that. I know what a ghost writer is but there was this whole thing that raised questions about how real the book was: http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/interviews.php

Thanks for that. I know what a ghost writer is but there was this whole thing that raised questions about how real the book was: http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/interviews.php

Oh that! I remember reading something similar on the matter. I don´t know what went on. Nor I know if some stories on Steven´s book are made up by him or other people

So yes I think if I went over there and tried to patch things up, I would have to stop doing interviews and talking on the forms. That doesn't work for me because I like doing it.

Marc, I ask this with respect. Does that mean that you value PR liberty over your friendship with Axl Rose?