The motivational thread

Lithium

I was a crammer and a HD student. It worked for me just fine.

But not everyone's brains can do that. Some people need more time, you know.

No, that's true, but I was a crammer too and I got my degree. It's just how I work. I need a sharp deadline, otherwise I postpone things. It's always been that way and I won't change anymore. It is what it is and I can function and perform perfectly fine :shrugs:

That's true. There are two types of achievers in this world. The crammers and the planners. Crammers need a deadline, planners need time. But it doesn't mean that either one takes motivation from anything different than a desire to succeed and that comes from a very personal place.

Guest Gunns

I wonder if the people that are born with debilitating diseases just look in the mirror and say to themselves 'all i need to do is be thankful that I can breathe everyday and I will reach my goals" or do they draw inspiration from those that have been in the exact same position , and have triumphed over their setbacks, and are thus motivated to get though any boundary that lay before them.

hmmm....

Interesting point.

I've known people in the past that were either born being a quadriplegic, or became one due to a horrific sporting incident during training, that if it was for things that I mentioned in my first post in this thread, or others simply sharing their own similar struggles with them they would have given up physiotherapy completely as well as life in general.

One of them went on to study at Uni (had a lot of trouble finding one that was suitable for their wheelchair) but went on to get a degree and now they can't work because of more struggles they are trying desperately to overcome

Life isn't fucking black and white, what we take for granted can motivate a large group of people, and that is a fucking powerful gift we can give to people as well as appreciate from those who are motivated and inspired from it.

It'a important to note that those who source motivation can be more successful than those who rely entirely on their own mental strength.

I agree. But motivation for most really successful people rarely comes from deliberately contrived 'motivational speeches/videos/quotes.

It's true that champions are rarely motivated by anyone other than their own future selves - or in fact, a relationship they share with a god. But what you have to acknowledge is that no more than 5% of the world become champions at their respective endeavour. Not everybody can have that conquerer spirit.

So they look to quotes made by the champions not to become champions, but to better themselves.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 1

I wish I could see the Facebook account of these who don't need motivational quotes. If someone has access, please can you confirm they don't use them at all?

Majority of the quotes that people share on FB are just underlining or confirming a persons existent beliefs, they've got very little to do with motivation. If they do, they have about 90 seconds to make their impact and then they're gone forever. :lol:

Obviously nobody should be criticized for seeking motivation if they need it, but fortunately I've always had naturally high levels of drive. The only motivation I really need is visualizing my future self.

'Motivational' videos or statements make me cringe. But again, that's just me. It'a important to note that those who source motivation can be more successful than those who rely entirely on their own mental strength.

Just curious what you use in the gym when you have a bad day and need to push through and finish a set? Always thought motivational speeches from people like Arnold would be good for that.

I don't have any motivational speeches on my music device - nor do I listen to such speeches in my own time. I just listen to extremely powerful orchestra pieces during my training; which above any other music form, really gets my adrenaline going.

Ah so you get motivated by orchestral music, never really considered it motivating to me personally but that cool. Quite a few of the people I know who go to the gym always mention having quite angry or heavy metal music to get them going.

Whenever I'm struggling at the gym I always take a second to consider everything and mentally say to myself, "you did this yesterday, you will do this tomorrow. There is no excuse for not doing it today." Then I take a couple of deep breaths and go for it, not always successfully I might add.

It'a important to note that those who source motivation can be more successful than those who rely entirely on their own mental strength.

I agree. But motivation for most really successful people rarely comes from deliberately contrived 'motivational speeches/videos/quotes.

It's true that champions are rarely motivated by anyone other than their own future selfs - or in fact, a relationship they share with a god. But what you have to acknowledge is that no more than 5% of the world become champions at their reapective endeavour. Not everybody can have that conquerer spirit.

So they look to quotes made by the champions not to become champions, but to better themselves.

Sounds exactly like something that would come from the Ultimate Warrior, albeit in a slightly more reserved and saner tone than he would manage :lol:

I was a crammer and a HD student. It worked for me just fine.

But not everyone's brains can do that. Some people need more time, you know.
Of course. I was merely demonstrating a counterpoint to Red's POV. I should mention however that I am studying to be a CPA and after starting that course and leaving uni, I need to space out lest I cram and fail.

I wish I could see the Facebook account of these who don't need motivational quotes. If someone has access, please can you confirm they don't use them at all?

Majority of the quotes that people share on FB are just underlining or confirming a persons existent beliefs, they've got very little to do with motivation. If they do, they have about 90 seconds to make their impact and then they're gone forever. :lol:

So, that's a yes I suppose.

Case closed. All this was just to be cool.

I wish I could see the Facebook account of these who don't need motivational quotes.

I have never needed any motivational quotes. Frankly, I wasn't aware anyone needed them at all - I just saw them as something people would occasionally enjoy reading but not actually deliberately us as part of doing something challenging. I am not saying hearing exceptional stories on how people overcome struggles doesn't impress me on some levels, but I have rarely seen how anyone's elses experiences help me in my own specific problems nor have I felt that the impression I get from the stories can be used in any practical way.

People spamming Facebook with motivational quotes and other self-help things is exactly why I have blocked everyone except my closest friends and family.

So what do I do to motivate me? I dunno. I rarely have to do anything which I not already want to succeed at, and that motivates me automatically. I don't need to motivate me for something I want to do. I had to take some courses at the university which I found boring and drab, like philosophy, but I can't remember I had to do anything to motivate except knowing that I needed good grades, I certainly didn't read up on motivational quotes every 15 minutes during my studying days.

• Like 1

I wonder if the people that are born with debilitating diseases just look in the mirror and say to themselves 'all i need to do is be thankful that I can breathe everyday and I will reach my goals" or do they draw inspiration from those that have been in the exact same position , and have triumphed over their setbacks, and are thus motivated to get though any boundary that lay before them.

hmmm....

Well my perception is that they get their motivation from a desire to be well again. They get their inspiration from those that have achieved in the face of setbacks. Two very different things. And the inspiration comes from very personal stories and I imagine they spend hours learning about how that person overcame the setbacks. They spend hours in suffering and relating to another persons suffering to find the strength to succeed. Not really happening in a succinct little quote or 20 minute video, is my guess.

What other motivation do you need than the realisation of your goals, your dreams? :huh:

As if some random video from a complete stranger, targeted to no-one in particular is going to have a greater impact on my personal determination than the thought in my head that "this is it, if I don't carry this bit over the line after all the effort I've put in, I'm back at square one".

Fuck those 'quotes' and motivational speeches. Just remind yourself what you're here to do on this earth and get it done. If you can't convince and motivate yourself to achieve your own goals, what hope does some random stranger with a quote or speech have?

That's kind of an ignorant view of the world,

why do people listen to music at the gym? to motivate themselves to train harder, lift heavier, run longer etc, to reach their goals, could they get their without it? sure/perhaps/not likely

Why do amateur artists go to art exhibitions? To be motivated to work harder, improve their skills, draw inspiration (which mostly goes hand in hand with motivation, those that are inspired can draw motivation from that and work harder)...Even things such as film, tv, etc can motivate people to do things for the better, become a better person, triumph over their failures in life etc, motivation for a lot of people is drawn upon their experiences as well as from their genetic makeup, however for a lot of other people, motivation is extrinsic and they draw energy and motivation from those people, arts, etc that are around them in this world.

That's an uninformed opinion of 'inspiration'. No artist goes to another art exhibition to 'motivate' themselves. They go because they're actually INTERESTED in what others are doing. It has nothing to do with THEIR work or their pay check. In fact most artists are very careful to not draw 'inspiration' from other artists for fear that it will influence their work too much and will be marked as plagiarism. I know of many designers and artists who actively refrain from viewing the work of contemporaries so as to avoid any 'influence'. Ask any truly creative person (not a copyist) where they get their 'inspiration' from and not one will tell you from another artist/designer. Ask any creative person where they get their 'motivation' from and they will tell you a need, a desire to create.

And music at the gym? It's not motivation. The motivation is the goal for one's body, the physical benefits, the mental achievement. The music is just a tactic to keep you moving. It's definitely not motivation.

Way to miss the whole point,

so no one is ever motivated by any of the things I've mentioned? everyone's born with an inherent motivation to reach their goals from day 1? all they need to do is remind themselves that they are alive and lucky to breathe in air each day as you basically put it?

Who said anything about being lucky to be alive and to breathe air? Since I didn't I'm guessing my post went completely over your head. :lol:

I wish I could see the Facebook account of these who don't need motivational quotes.

I have never needed any motivational quotes. Frankly, I wasn't aware anyone needed them at all - I just saw them as something people would occasionally enjoy reading but not actually deliberately us as part of doing something challenging. I am not saying hearing exceptional stories on how people overcome struggles doesn't impress me on some levels, but I have rarely seen how anyone's elses experiences help me in my own specific problems nor have I felt that the impression I get from the stories can be used in any practical way.

People spamming Facebook with motivational quotes and other self-help things is exactly why I have blocked everyone except my closest friends and family.

So what do I do to motivate me? I dunno. I rarely have to do anything which I not already want to succeed at, and that motivates me automatically. I don't need to motivate me for something I want to do. I had to take some courses at the university which I found boring and drab, like philosophy, but I can't remember I had to do anything to motivate except knowing that I needed good grades, I certainly didn't read up on motivational quotes every 15 minutes during my studying days.

I wish I was like you.

Look, I'm not saying everybody needs motivational quotes or that they really help in the end but coming to a thread just to rub your alleged "superiroty" or whatever that is in others faces is ugly. Especially if you use them yourself. Then it's not only ugly, you're an hypocrite who tries to hard to look cool.

Guest Gunns

hmmm....

Well my perception is that they get their motivation from a desire to be well again. They get their inspiration from those that have achieved in the face of setbacks. Two very different things. And the inspiration comes from very personal stories and I imagine they spend hours learning about how that person overcame the setbacks. They spend hours in suffering and relating to another persons suffering to find the strength to succeed. Not really happening in a succinct little quote or 20 minute video, is my guess.

What other motivation do you need than the realisation of your goals, your dreams? :huh:

As if some random video from a complete stranger, targeted to no-one in particular is going to have a greater impact on my personal determination than the thought in my head that "this is it, if I don't carry this bit over the line after all the effort I've put in, I'm back at square one".

Fuck those 'quotes' and motivational speeches. Just remind yourself what you're here to do on this earth and get it done. If you can't convince and motivate yourself to achieve your own goals, what hope does some random stranger with a quote or speech have?

why do people listen to music at the gym? to motivate themselves to train harder, lift heavier, run longer etc, to reach their goals, could they get their without it? sure/perhaps/not likely

Why do amateur artists go to art exhibitions? To be motivated to work harder, improve their skills, draw inspiration (which mostly goes hand in hand with motivation, those that are inspired can draw motivation from that and work harder)...Even things such as film, tv, etc can motivate people to do things for the better, become a better person, triumph over their failures in life etc, motivation for a lot of people is drawn upon their experiences as well as from their genetic makeup, however for a lot of other people, motivation is extrinsic and they draw energy and motivation from those people, arts, etc that are around them in this world.

That's an uninformed opinion of 'inspiration'. No artist goes to another art exhibition to 'motivate' themselves. They go because they're actually INTERESTED in what others are doing. It has nothing to do with THEIR work or their pay check. In fact most artists are very careful to not draw 'inspiration' from other artists for fear that it will influence their work too much and will be marked as plagiarism. I know of many designers and artists who actively refrain from viewing the work of contemporaries so as to avoid any 'influence'. Ask any truly creative person (not a copyist) where they get their 'inspiration' from and not one will tell you from another artist/designer. Ask any creative person where they get their 'motivation' from and they will tell you a need, a desire to create.

And music at the gym? It's not motivation. The motivation is the goal for one's body, the physical benefits, the mental achievement. The music is just a tactic to keep you moving. It's definitely not motivation.

so no one is ever motivated by any of the things I've mentioned? everyone's born with an inherent motivation to reach their goals from day 1? all they need to do is remind themselves that they are alive and lucky to breathe in air each day as you basically put it?

Who said anything about being lucky to be alive and to breathe air? Since I didn't I'm guessing my post went completely over your head. :lol:
Yeah because motivational stories that are shared by others aren't filmed in a 10,20,30 min or 1 hour video or isn't captured in a simple gif or image, it requires hours of reading and researching to truly capture the basic essence of the message at hand.

Keep digging

Edited by Gunns

I'm with Red in that I think quotes and videos are a load of tosh, but music always gets me amped whether it's the gym, whilst I'm at work or whether I'm studying.

But listening to music isn't the reason why you're successful at work or the gum, right? It keeps you pumping along, but your true motivation is to be successful and make money for work (achieve certain financial goals) and for the gym it is to maintain or improve your physical shape so that you can be healthy and live longer and be more attractive to the opposite sex and maybe even compete with your other male friends? The music alone doesn't motivate you to go through those arduous tasks when you could otherwise just sit on your ass, do nothing and eat. :P

I wish I was like you.

Look, I'm not saying everybody needs motivational quotes or that they really help in the end but coming to a thread just to rub your alleged "superiroty" or whatever that is in others faces is ugly. Especially if you use them yourself. Then it's not only ugly, you're an hypocrite who tries to hard to look cool.

I agree with Soulmonster. Quotes never motivated me, nor motivational speeches or whatever. It has nothing to do with superiority. It's great if you get motivated by quotes, but I just don't. My motivation at school was getting my degree and doing a job I liked. My motivation to work hard is to be able to do the things I want in life and to provide for my family, to give my family security.

Also, the motivational quotes my friends post on FB are mostly nonsense and clichés, like "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". I do like quotes though, if they actually have value, but I wouldn't say they motivate me.

I wish I was like you.

I am very sorry if what I wrote hurt you. I am honestly confused by the whole concept and had no idea people actually used motivational quotes for anything. I don't even understand the mechanism for how it works. Do you get psyched from the quotes and then work harder? I am seriously not taking the piss. I just don't get it. And I never saw it as superiority. I thought everyone was like me. Again, I apologize.

As for using them myself, I am not. Did you read the text on the picture I posted? It basically says, "You're a moron if you waste your time trying to something you are incapable of". It's purely meant to be funny and take the piss out of serious motivational posters (hence the name "demotivational").

Totts, I can't quote your posts correctly because I'm on my phone.

Ah so you get motivated by orchestral music, never really considered it motivating to me personally but that cool. Quite a few of the people I know who go to the gym always mention having quite angry or heavy metal music to get them going.

Whenever I'm struggling at the gym I always take a second to consider everything and mentally say to myself, "you did this yesterday, you will do this tomorrow. There is no excuse for not doing it today." Then I take a couple of deep breaths and go for it, not always successfully I might add.

Sounds exactly like something that would come from the Ultimate Warrior, albeit in a slightly more reserved and saner tone than he would manage :lol:

The motivation is there beforehand, but there's something about powerful orchestra that gets my blood flowing. I'm not talking general orchestral music like 'Flight of the Valkyries' (imagine that sight :lol:), but the really intense pieces.

At my gym there are a lot of prettyboys, so chart music is usually the status-quo. I zone out with my epics. :lol:

hmmm....

Yeah because motivational stories that are shared by others aren't filmed in a 10,20,30 min or 1 hour video or isn't captured in a simple gif or image, it requires hours of reading and researching to truly capture the basic essence of the message at hand.

Keep digging

OK, please go ahead and post those here. Because this a thread about 'motivation'. Meaning quotes and videos that you will help some random poster in here achieve the motivation required to:

Do whatever Lith quoted in his OP.

:lol:

I rest my case.

It's true that champions are rarely motivated by anyone other than their own future selves - or in fact, a relationship they share with a god. But what you have to acknowledge is that no more than 5% of the world become champions at their respective endeavour. Not everybody can have that conquerer spirit.

I'm not a champion at anything but I still don't look to some random quote to motivate me. My motivation comes from my desire to succeed at whatever it is I've chosen to do. For the average person, like me, that relates to effort in = result out. My effort is inspired by a better life for myself and that's all.