Aerosmith - Get a Grip - Opinions?

Dr. Who

Myth may be a strong word...there are people in music with integrity, but they are few and far between. Ian MaKaye, H.R., Jello Biafra.

Once you become part of a machine where others depend on you to pay their salaries and the band becomes more than a band, it's very hard to keep integrity intact. You have to take the paychecks that are offered. And some, a lot, most, will do just about anything to get that paycheck.

As far as being a band for a long time, or having hits, or having original members---none of that matters in terms of quality of music nor does it point towards integrity either.

I don't understand the difference between radio and MTV. They are both tools to get the music out to the public. Any way to get it out there so they can cash those paychecks and wipe their ass with their integrity and credibility

Edited by Sixes

MTV killed the radio star, the song was correct. If you go back and look at the musicians from the 70's, they were not good looking people, for the most part anyways. Then when MTV hit, you had to be a pretty boy in order to be successful.

But to each their own, this discussion doesn't really mean that much to me either way. Like or dislike them, matters not to me. Good day. :)

I give Aerosmith shit for using outside writers all the time. Its no secret they never reached their 70s peak since Permanent Vacation. However, they still have great tunes from the second half of their career and they peaked live, imo, in the early 90s.

Bon Jovi never made music close to Aerosmith and will never reach the iconic levels Aerosmith has in terms of legacy. Dry County is an awesome song, though

I give Aerosmith shit for using outside writers all the time. Its no secret they never reached their 70s peak since Permanent Vacation. However, they still have great tunes from the second half of their career and they peaked live, imo, in the early 90s.

Bon Jovi never made music close to Aerosmith and will never reach the iconic levels Aerosmith has in terms of legacy. Dry County is an awesome song, though

Being neutral and not a fan of Aerosmith or The Jover, I would say The Jover has absolutely reached and surpassed Aerosmith in terms of legacy. They remain a stadium act 30+ years into their career and sell out all over the world, still release music that also sells well. They are a household name...Aerosmith are some of those things as well, just not as much. Because they started earlier and classic rock radio force fed them on a generation doesn't make them more iconic or legendary.

Plus, apparently Aerosmith are ugly...so fuck them

I like Bon Jovi too...

I think a lot of their recent albums are mixed though. Really enjoyed Lost Highway - had a country rock vibe, was unusual. The album after that was not quite as memorable and I don't think I heard their most recent one. I saw them live (in 2007 I think).

You are right though Sixes, Bon Jovi are probably more popular with the masses - likely because they have a more pop rock/soft rock sound.

Edited by sploit
  • Like 1

I like Bon Jovi too...

I think a lot of their recent albums are mixed though. Really enjoyed Lost Highway - had a country rock vibe, was unusual. The album after that was not quite as memorable and I don't think I heard their most recent one. I saw them live (in 2007 I think).

You are right though Sixes, Bon Jovi are probably more popular with the masses - likely because they have a more pop rock/soft rock sound.

Yeah, they've crossed over a few genres...even dabbled in the country genre and got a chunk of new fans there too.

Edited by Sixes

Honestly how ANY of you can defend Bon Jovi or think they achieved more than Aerosmith is beyond me. Not only is it just plain incorrect, its somewhat misguided as well. I don't even know what to compare it to, its so damn off the wall. I think some of you must secretly like Bon Jovi, hence the bias. But let me add this to this little discussion; Steven Tyler was, is, and will forever be FAR more talented of a frontman/musician/ and singer than Bon Jovi could ever dream of being. I saw the man this year, and he still has PLENTY left in the tank. While pretty boy Jon on the other hand has fallen even further than our beloved Axl. I watched a Bon Jovi concert on Axis a few months ago, just out of curiosity, and Jon made Axl's bridge perofrmance look good. The dude is BEYOND shot. So much so that Richie Sambora (the only dude from that band with any real talent) has quit Bon Jovi because he knows they are done.

Does Bon Jovi still draw good numbers touring? Probably. But I'd bet Aerosmith draws just as much, probably even more. The concert I went to this summer was 100% sold out, and was the most fans I have seen at DTE in Detroit BY FAR, and I've been to that venue many times.

But beyond that, we can song for song, album for album, record sales, any way you want to do it. But I'm sorry to say Bon Jovi is not going to stack up well vs Aerosmith. Hell the band themselves would admit Aerosmith is the better band. I don't know guys, but I've lost a little bit of musical respect for some of you in this thread. As I said before, you can dislike them all you want, that doesn't bother me at all. But to actual say, and believe Bon Jovi at ANY point was a better band than Aerosmith is just plain moronic...

Here I thought of a comparision, it's like saying John Starks was better than Michael Jordan. Or that Phil Sims was better than Joe Montana. Sure they were good in their own right, but no, just no....

Edited by Mike420

Honestly how ANY of you can defend Bon Jovi or think they achieved more than Aerosmith is beyond me. Not only is it just plain incorrect, its somewhat misguided as well. I don't even know what to compare it to, its so damn off the wall. I think some of you must secretly like Bon Jovi, hence the bias. But let me add this to this little discussion; Steven Tyler was, is, and will forever be FAR more talented of a frontman/musician/ and singer than Bon Jovi could ever dream of being. I saw the man this year, and he still has PLENTY left in the tank. While pretty boy Jon on the other hand has fallen even further than our beloved Axl. I watched a Bon Jovi concert on Axis a few months ago, just out of curiosity, and Jon made Axl's bridge perofrmance look good. The dude is BEYOND shot. So much so that Richie Sambora (the only dude from that band with any real talent) has quit Bon Jovi because he knows they are done.

Does Bon Jovi still draw good numbers touring? Probably. But I'd bet Aerosmith draws just as much, probably even more. The concert I went to this summer was 100% sold out, and was the most fans I have seen at DTE in Detroit BY FAR, and I've been to that venue many times.

But beyond that, we can song for song, album for album, record sales, any way you want to do it. But I'm sorry to say Bon Jovi is not going to stack up well vs Aerosmith. Hell the band themselves would admit Aerosmith is the better band. I don't know guys, but I've lost a little bit of musical respect for some of you in this thread. As I said before, you can dislike them all you want, that doesn't bother me at all. But to actual say, and believe Bon Jovi at ANY point was a better band than Aerosmith is just plain moronic...

Here I thought of a comparision, it's like saying John Starks was better than Michael Jordan. Or that Phil Sims was better than Joe Montana. Sure they were good in their own right, but no, just no....

Thought you didn't want to discuss this?

Oh noes, you lost musical respect for me because lol Aerosmith? Talk about being plain moronic yacka yacka yacka owwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

The only thing Aerosmith has on Bon Jovi is that Tyler owns prettier scarves than Jon. You see, Aerosmith were ugly, as all musicians were pre-MTV. So the pretty scarves balance everything out.

lol Aerosmith---in fact that should be their official name "LOL Aerosmith" with the American Idol banner replacing the wings

Edited by Sixes

You are not even addressing my points, but whatever. I said multiple times that I don't give a rats ass if you like them or hate them, that is NOT my point. You my friend were the one that made this claim that Bon Jovi are a better band than Aerosmth. So why don't you go throw on your Slippery When Wet album and fullfill your ldillusions of being a cowboy....

We all say stupid shit from time to time, well in this thread, you had your turn. Take it like a man, and move on.

You brought them into this discussion, so CLEARLY you have some sort of secret Bon Jovi fandom going on. New York bias perhaps??? Aerosmith are from Boston, I know how much New Yorkers love Boston.

The funny thing about it is, one of my brother in laws likes to try and argue with me on how Bon Jovi are and were a better band than Guns n' Roses. This is the same kind of thing. If you don't get why gnr or Aerosmith are better, than I really see no point in talking about this.

Edited by Mike420

You are not even addressing my points, but whatever. I said multiple times that I don't give a rats ass if you like them or hate them, that is NOT my point. You my friend were the one that made this claim that Bon Jovi are a better band than Aerosmth. So why don't you go throw on your Slippery When Wet album and fullfill your ldillusions of being a cowboy....

We all say stupid shit from time to time, well in this thread, you had your turn. Take it like a man, and move on.

You brought them into this discussion, so CLEARLY you have some sort of secret Bon Jovi fandom going on. New York bias perhaps??? Aerosmith are from Boston, I know how much New Yorkers love Boston.

The funny thing about it is, one of my brother in laws likes to try and argue with me on how Bon Jovi are and were a better band than Guns n' Roses. This is the same kind of thing. If you don't get why gnr or Aerosmith are better, than I really see no point in talking about this.

I thought you didn't want to discuss this? So dream on rag doll, and go down on a muffin...

awwwwwwwwwww yacka yacka yacka owwwwwwwwww

btw, that's a quote from the great steven tyler, ugly musician of the 70's

lol Aerosmith, ugly band of the 70's

Edited by Sixes

Hey look at me, I go into threads of things I don't like just to talk about how much I don't like them. At least younger guys like Bicardi do it to be "ironic" or whatever because thats how they are. It's part of this younger generation I guess. But when older guys do its just sad. Especially when they used to actually tease their hair and had acid washed denim....

Edited by Mike420

Hey look at me, I go into threads of things I don't like just to talk about how much I don't like them. At least younger guys like Bicardi do it to be "ironic" or whatever because thats how they are. It's part of this younger generation I guess. But when older guys do its just sad. Especially when they used to actually tease their hair and had acid washed denim....

awwwwwwwwwwww yacka yacka owwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uhhh what? It's a thread asking for opinions on an album. Where does the OP state that the thread is intended to be an "I love Aerosmith" circlejerk?

• Like 1

@Bacardi,

That post wasn't even directed to you. I never said this thread has to be an "Aerosmith circle jerk." You said "Shit album by a shit band" at what point did I ask you for further comments about this??? You gave your opinions, which is fine, frankly I don't give a flying FK. The only reason I'm even responding to you is because you quoted me so clearly you wanted further discussion from me. Yes I did mention you in my post, but I was not talking to you in that post. So I don't really see what your point is in trying to converse with me? I usually try and avoid even talking to you, because its the same old go around every time, I have better things to do than waste my time on you....

Aerosmith are one of my all time favourite bands, but Sixes is entitled to his opinion just as everyone else.

Also he didn't say Bon Jovi were a better band he just said about the outside song writers thing and said Bon Jovi had a more mainstream appeal.

Both the things he said are true from what I have seen.

When Bon Jovi come over here to the UK they always headline their own massive stadium shows - and they come over like every two years pretty much.

Aerosmith rarely visit the UK and when they do so it is usually headlining one day of a three day festival.

same old go around or same old song and dance ah my friend?

Well played, hahaha.

• Like 1

Being neutral and not a fan of Aerosmith or The Jover, I would say The Jover has absolutely reached and surpassed Aerosmith in terms of legacy. They remain a stadium act 30+ years into their career and sell out all over the world, still release music that also sells well. They are a household name...Aerosmith are some of those things as well, just not as much. Because they started earlier and classic rock radio force fed them on a generation doesn't make them more iconic or legendary.

Plus, apparently Aerosmith are ugly...so fuck them

Aerosmith have big crowds outside the US. The reason why they don't have them in the US is because they tour there every year and everyone who wants to see them has already had several chances to do so.

And since this thread is asking for opinions instead of weird off the wall shitposting that Mike420 does....

My opinon of Aerosmith is that they are not a good band and Get A Grip is about as bad an album as anyone could ever make.

I find the album to be bland, to be cliche, to offer nothing at all in terms of musical or lyrical quality. I find it to be run of the mill, pandering to the lowest common denominator and the videos were cringe worthy and another attempt at trying to be hip when they were not.

Aerosmith are a dumb band, always have been. Dumb to the nth degree. Almost as dumb as Van Halen.

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 1