Sorelle Saidman Book?

What happened with this?!

She was/is an experienced music writer. Worked on the 99' Spin mag article. Looks like it was ready to go and everything? Then what happened? Can anyone shed any light on this? It's the first I've heard of it.

oS8lrjCm.jpg

"I've been working on this book for six years. I worked on the Spin cover piece with Marc Spitz in 1999. My own book research was already underway, but I agreed to help in exchange for permission to use all the mag research, so the book became sort of an extension of that piece. At that time, we did over 40 interviews, and less than 5% of that material (at best) was published. I also worked on a VH1 special on [GUNS N' ROSES] in 2002 that never aired (I believe it was a pilot for a new series that died on the vine after the company was restructured), and made the same deal with them — I retained transcripts of those interviews. Over the years I've conducted my own interviews with band personnel for my writing/research jobs with MTV, Rolling Stone and Allstar/CD Now. And since that time, I've conducted dozens and dozens of new interviews exclusively for the book, many of them with people who have never been interviewed before. I believe the count is well over 130 original sources, and I've sorted through well over 10,000 pages of documents.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/axl-rose-more-details-about-unofficial-book-revealed/

I'd LOVE to read a decent book of this sort, rather than one that's been sourced entirely from Google and YouTube. I mean you Mick.

I know, right?

It sounds like there was some real work that went into this.

On different book selling sites, I guess just before it was ready to sell, they often show the cover, the isbn number, the amount of pages (352). So, does that mean it was actually printed and everything?

There's very little about all this I could find here, and on HTGTH. But it looks like she posted in an old thread about Rapidfire?

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/148447-rapidfire/#entry2420631

Ironically enough, the efforts that have been published relied heavily on the meticulous chronicled histories that exist on the guns fansites.

It's just that the guys that wrote those books had no real interest in gnr, so did no original research of their own. And it shows.

Axl put the ol' Cease and Desist on our friend Sorelle.

She used to post here. http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/204313-sorelle-saidman/?p=3613807

Yeah, I saw that thread, and your post there, but...were you just speculating? Or is that what actually happened? Can you share any specifics?

I mean, the first thing that comes to mind as to why it got killed was that Axl and/or lawyers for various parties put the brakes on it, but how did it go down? Like, was Axl's team threatening a lawsuit, against HarperCollins? Or against Saidman? On what specific legal grounds? Or what exactly?

Axl put the ol' Cease and Desist on our friend Sorelle.

She used to post here. http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/204313-sorelle-saidman/?p=3613807

Yeah, I saw that thread, and your post there, but...were you just speculating? Or is that what actually happened? Can you share any specifics?

I mean, the first thing that comes to mind as to why it got killed was that Axl and/or lawyers for various parties put the brakes on it, but how did it go down? Like, was Axl's team threatening a lawsuit, against HarperCollins? Or against Saidman? On what specific legal grounds? Or what exactly?

We'll have to speculate.

The book had a title, a release date, cover art, and was available for pre-order on Amazon, B&N, etc., and then it never came out.

I'm sure whatever legal wrangling happened included a non-disclosure agreement. :shrugs:

I sent her a pm asking if she cares/wants/is willing to share anything. Looks like she hasn't been on since 09'. Maybe she has email notifications turned on though and will eventually get it.

That'd be crazy if there is an NDA involved in all this.

Maybe Axl's lawyers stopped her or the publishing company that she cannot use Axl's name and earn money by it? Maybe she wrote the Truth and Reality of Axl which he can never Accept, So Axl doesn't wants it to come out? or maybe there is some negotiating going on with TB to edit some stuff? Maybe she is waiting for a Music Video of Better or CD2 to come out, Maybe she is waiting for Bumblefoot to say something, maybe she is waiting till Tommy comes back in the Loop

I would have assumed Axl would have put the cease and desist on the Mick Wall book if he had that power. It is strange that it was so far along, and then for it to stop so suddenly in it's tracks. I see why there's a lot of speculation that he did stop it... it would have made more sense for him to be a part of the book and ask for final say on the interviews he offered, so he could clear up some of the myths surrounding him.

I guess back in 05' she got in touch with different outlets to clear up some misinformation. This is similar to the blabbermouth piece I linked earlier, but has additional info:

Saidman Speaks To Splat About New Axl Book
5 October 2005, 7:31 PM

Sorelle Saidman has spoken to Splat about her forthcoming book, "Axl : The Life and Times of Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses".
Instead of spinning the information into a huge story, I'll just give you her bulleted email, as it is much easier to read;

- The book was never scheduled for an October release, it was always scheduled for 2006. I did NOT write the blurb that appeared on Amazon.com, nor did I provide the information. (What’s in there is old news and it is not correct).

- I’ve been toying with the idea of doing a book on Axl and Guns N’ Rose since the mid-nineties when I started reporting on them weekly for the Rollingstone.com website. After RS, I went to MTV New Online for four years, and also wrote extensively for CDNow/Allstar (GNR was still my favorite topic), and I did various GNR-related interviews for those outlets.

- I worked on the Spin cover piece with Marc Spitz in 1999. My own book research was already underway, but I agreed to help in exchange for permission to use all the mag research, so the book became sort of an extension of that piece. At that time, we did over 40 interviews, and less than 5% of that material (at best) was published.

- I also worked on a VH1 special on GNR in 2002 that never aired (I believe it was a pilot for a new series that died on the vine after the company was restructured), and made the same deal with them – I retained transcripts of those interviews.

- Since that time, I’ve conducted dozens and dozens of new interviews exclusively for the book. (I believe the count is well over 150 interviews with over 120 sources).

- I’ve sorted through thousands (quite possibly tens of thousands) of pages of court documents and other records and clippings in Indiana and California. Its pretty safe to say that at least 3/4 of the material in the book hasn't been seen before by even the most ardent fans.

- I’m handing in most of the book this week (it was supposed to be in September 15, but I’ve been under the weather). I’m holding off on a few things until as late as possible to try and have it as current as possible.

- The publisher and their lawyers are going through the first draft while I continue to fact check. The book is not written chronologically, it’s in segments, I can continue making changes to certain segments, and I can add segments for the next month or two, but only if they are really compelling.

Now this is the part where you come in. Sorelle is wanting some feedback from fans as to what they would want to see in this book. You can take this to your own forums if you like, but what we need here is some good adult feedback and comments, if you can manage it.

Written by bigboss

Found it here:

http://gnfnr.dk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=264

On a related note, what was "Splat" (Sp1at.com)? Some kind of secret "insider" club/forum? And Jeff Leeds contributed there? Or was it his site?

• Like 1

I would have assumed Axl would have put the cease and desist on the Mick Wall book if he had that power. It is strange that it was so far along, and then for it to stop so suddenly in it's tracks. I see why there's a lot of speculation that he did stop it... it would have made more sense for him to be a part of the book and ask for final say on the interviews he offered, so he could clear up some of the myths surrounding him.

I got more and more confused with each additional sentence you wrote, here.

Now this is interesting. I guess this was a synopsis at one stage or another:

Abuse, religious fanaticism, murder, litigation, violence, stalkers and overdoses. Axl Rose is the definition of rock star eccentricity. From fronting one of the greatest and most successful rock bands in musical history to his dramatic decline and current immersion in past-life regression therapy and holistic healing, Axl reveals the questionable circumstances of his birth, religious upbringing and the previously unpublished story of his father's murder. Axl goes behind the headlines to ask what - and who - drove him to outrageous, insane acts

http://books.google.ca/books/about/Axl_Life_and_Times_of_Mysterious_Mr_Rose.html?id=kxqtkQEACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Abuse, religious fanaticism, murder, litigation, violence, stalkers and overdoses. Axl Rose is the definition of rock star eccentricity. From fronting one of the greatest and most successful rock bands in musical history to his dramatic decline and current immersion in past-life regression therapy and holistic healing, Axl reveals the questionable circumstances of his birth, religious upbringing and the previously unpublished story of his father's murder. Axl goes behind the headlines to ask what - and who - drove him to outrageous, insane acts

http://books.google.ca/books/about/Axl_Life_and_Times_of_Mysterious_Mr_Rose.html?id=kxqtkQEACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Sounds yellow as fuck. but a fun read.

Sounds yellow as fuck. but a fun read.

I bet there's some real meat to some of it though. A huge publisher like Harpercollins isn't going throw out teasers like that without having the facts to back it up.

I'm thinking she probably did get the whole story about the death/murder of his dad.

The bit about the "questionable circumstances of his birth"...I wonder what that's about?

<_< ...The book that was supposed to be released by Sorelle Saidman? that comment wasn't my finest work I'll admit, but I think we all know what the thread is about without writing Sorelle Saidman's book every ten sentences and the gist of the message is there.

In plainer / simpler english. If he (Axl) was going to block a book, Why not block Mick Walls book, it was a completely negative look at his career and personal life and the author (MW) and Axl had a very public falling out, giving the author (MW) no reason whatsoever to give a fair and balanced depiction of the man. Contribute to the Sorelle Saidman book and ask for final say on any interview that he gave before the book would be set for publishing, ensuring everything said was his own words, not misquotes etc. By doing this it clears away some of the stories that surround him (Axl) and the new gnr and he can move on with his life / career, and GnR fans don't have to speculate endlessly.

Hope that's clear enough for you, otherwise you can go and... fill in the blank ;)

The books likely on hold, like Canters book was, but he probably paid her a little just to make sure it didn't appear. He probably didn't want it out before the release of CD, in case it distracted too much attention away from the album. I think we can safely say the book would have definitely received far more attention. Maybe it'll appear in a few years but I think it's unlikely after 7 years. Someone should contact her though, and see if there's a possibility of a interview on the forum.

<_< ...The book that was supposed to be released by Sorelle Saidman? that comment wasn't my finest work I'll admit, but I think we all know what the thread is about without writing Sorelle Saidman's book every ten sentences and the gist of the message is there.

In plainer / simpler english. If he (Axl) was going to block a book, Why not block Mick Walls book, it was a completely negative look at his career and personal life and the author (MW) and Axl had a very public falling out, giving the author (MW) no reason whatsoever to give a fair and balanced depiction of the man. Contribute to the Sorelle Saidman book and ask for final say on any interview that he gave before the book would be set for publishing, ensuring everything said was his own words, not misquotes etc. By doing this it clears away some of the stories that surround him (Axl) and the new gnr and he can move on with his life / career, and GnR fans don't have to speculate endlessly.

Hope that's clear enough for you, otherwise you can go and... fill in the blank ;)

Alright, I wasn't trying to instigate anything. There was just some pronoun confusion on my end I guess. All is cool.

Back on topic:

Sure, Wall's book was on the negative side, but there wasn't anything negative in it, that was also substantive. Just rehashings of old stories that everyone knows, told in Wall's slightly nasty, skeptically toned, voice. If Axl read that book, he probably just thought: "Oh good ole' Mick. Still being a hack and a cunt after all these years."

He didn't have any "scoops" or anything. But I bet Saidman did/does.

Edited by Brunzopolis

you know, on the other hand, pushing a book on Axl with :

I've conducted dozens and dozens of new interviews exclusively for the book, many of them with people who have never been interviewed before

is kind of a shot in the foot.

I mean, interview who? not Slash, that's for sure. So maybe... you and me? moderators? Jarmo? LAWL

The books likely on hold, like Canters book was, but he probably paid her a little just to make sure it didn't appear. He probably didn't want it out before the release of CD, in case it distracted too much attention away from the album. I think we can safely say the book would have definitely received far more attention. Maybe it'll appear in a few years but I think it's unlikely after 7 years. Someone should contact her though, and see if there's a possibility of a interview on the forum.

Even if she can't talk about what was going to be in the book, or even the events that led to it not being a book, it'd still be an interesting story, I bet. It looks like after it all went down, she got out of the music journalism biz completely.

You put that much work into something, then nothing comes of it. Would suck big time.

you know, on the other hand, pushing a book on Axl with :

I've conducted dozens and dozens of new interviews exclusively for the book, many of them with people who have never been interviewed before

is kind of a shot in the foot.

I mean, interview who? not Slash, that's for sure. So maybe... you and me? moderators? Jarmo? LAWL

My guess would be family members, for one. With grudges, perhaps.

Yeah some one should message her on FB and ask what is the status, the book seems interesting and it seems a lot of hard work has gone to write it. Even I think Axl or TB paid her to Hush Hush over the whole thing