Sorelle Saidman Book?

what I wanted to say is I might as well write a book about Axl and claim to have interviews some regulary guys and no one can verify if it's legit. Therefore such interviews, for the most part, might be useless. I wouldn't be surprized if the author of the book just made them up, using those made up quotes to back up his other parts of the book, is all I'm sayin

what I wanted to say is I might as well write a book about Axl and claim to have interviews some regulary guys and no one can verify if it's legit. Therefore such interviews, for the most part, might be useless. I wouldn't be surprized if the author of the book just made them up, using those made up quotes to back up his other parts of the book, is all I'm sayin

It's impossible to know without even an excerpt from the book but to be fair to the author I believe she was a fairly prominent journo back in the day, working for MTV and Rolling Stone so I guess she was in a position to make contacts. I doubt we'll ever know now though.

Just bumping this because due to being off work for a week I was bored so decided to email Harper Collins about this book.

I sent them the amazon link and isbn numbers for it and they are as puzzled as us. According to the email I got back they have no record of it, she said it could have been an export but they have never had plans to distribute and won't be doing in the future.

So weird. How does a book get as far as having an isbn number, cover art, listing in all major bookstores and a Goodreads page (complete with star rating) and the publishers have no knowledge of it.

Answers on a postcard please....

Huh.

I ran the ISBN just now to look up the publisher of record. It's an American ISBN number that came up in the US registry. The listed publishers of record for that ISBN in the database are HarperCollins, with Addison Wesley and Longman listed as the distributor.

Once a book is assigned an ISBN it cannot be transferred, either, so there's no way that this particular number was re-assigned to another book.

Publishers are actually assigned codes which are included in the ISBN -- this one has 006. 00 and 06 are both Harper Collins codes, and if you look at random HC books on Amazon you will see that a lot of them have the same 006 identifier. So this was an ISBN from HC.

To be fair, whoever answers emails from the public may not know about all the editorial projects happening in the company, especially those that were dropped or put on indefinite hold. A lot of the time they don't announce what they're working on. But I'm guessing that there *was* a changing of the guard and that this project was thrown into the proverbial vault at the last minute.

It's definitely bizarre that they'd have let the project get so far along before killing it. ISBNs cost money (usually publishers buy a lot of them at one time, but they still cost something -- and once they're assigned to a book they can't be reused), so does cover art; so does editing. It really sounds like this was pulled very close to the time it would have gone to press.

I'm kind of confuzzled as to why Addison Wesley and Longman were listed as part of this project, though. Those are both part of Pearson, which is an educational publisher that puts out lots of overpriced college textbooks.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

I also ran it in WorldCat (which is basically a database for libraries). They have it as being published by William Morrow, which is an imprint of HarperCollins. The ISBN-13 listed on WorldCat is a match to the one on Amazon, which is linked directly to HarperCollins in the ISBN database.

So either the person answering email at HC is lying through their teeth or they just don't know about all the editorial projects (which is entirely possible...it's probably an entry-level intern). Either one, or both, are plausible.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/axl-the-life-and-times-of-axl-rose-and-guns-n-roses/oclc/71396454&referer=brief_results

• Like 1