Duff Comments on GNR Mini Doc

This has been posted on Canters Banter, I guess most of you would have seen the mini doc which had Marc, I thought it was really cool, they changed the title to attract more people, but the mini doc itself was really cool, Duff has made some comments regarding it, so what do you think about it?

You did an interview for a mini-documentary by Guns ’N Roses biographer Marc Canter, who wants to reunite the band…

I didn’t, that’s the [thing]. I saw it. My manager sent it to me. That interview, I’m like, “What the hell’s that from?” It’s from a while ago, and I don’t know what the interview’s from. And Marc’s a dear friend, but he didn’t ask me if he could use that piece. (Laughs.) So there’s a little like, “Dude, I don’t know where that…I’m wearing a Von Dutch hat, so that’s gotta be like 2007” … So I don’t know. I don’t know what he’s doing, to be honest.

People picked up on Canter making the point of being the man who can make it happen, and that all it would take to reunite Axl Rose and Slash is getting them back in the dinky rehearsal space where they started.

Yeah. (Laughs.) I have no comment on that. That came out of left field for me. My manager sent me the link and I looked at it like, “What the hell?” Little weird. But Marc is a good guy. He’s been around forever, and if that’s what he thinks, it’s his thing.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6568226/duff-mckagan-how-to-be-a-man-and-other-illusions-book-fatherhood-guns-n-roses

I just copy here my post from Canter banter's related thread

This sums up my opinion about this whole situation now...

and as you can see that question is asked to the band members too.

But that's obvious that they got those questions (cuz they were band members), while it's not too obvious that you got that question....

Anyway honest question: do you really think in your right mind that you could reunite these guys "if they worked out their differencies"?

With all due respect man (and i'm probably risking a warning point here) why they are need you if they can capable to work out their differencies on their own? have you some sort of secret holy grail for this or what?

Seems like you're way out of line now and you're over estimate yourself....

Your book was superb and i got nothing but good things to say about your work and your help with those early days, but you're just try to sell yourself at their expense now... (which is a fairly common thing in capitalism, but still not a classy move)

again, i apologise if i sound offensive, but that is the picture you're painting about yourself for people who follow this band closely and not blindly worship every move you make in the past couple of months

Edited by Strange Broue

He didn't say he had the power to reunite them.... He thinks that if they came back to the place where it all started (some dirty old warehouse) they would remember how good everything was and amazing music would come out of it. So he kinda offered that place to hold the reunion, with no managers, no leeches, only them alone there....

• Like 3

He didn't say he had the power to reunite them.... He thinks that if they came back to the place where it all started (some dirty old warehouse) they would remember how good everything was and amazing music would come out of it. So he kinda offered that place to hold the reunion, with no managers, no leeches, only them alone there....

Exactly.

Hard to see anything wrong with that statement. Especially considering he prefaced it by saying if Axl and Slash ever worked out their differences before hand.

• Like 1

Exactly.

Hard to see anything wrong with that statement. Especially considering he prefaced it by saying if Axl and Slash ever worked out their differences before hand.

Umm... it is his vision, his dream and more like a wish. I think you can agree or disagree with it because in the end it's just his opinion, "his thing", like Duff said.

I disagree but mostly cuz I think reunion is waaaaaaay more complicated than just going back to a dirty old warehouse and be able to see their 20 years old soul there... Specially cuz these guys are fuckin' billionaires now.

Duff seems bothered by the use of footage, mostly. He likes Marc and has no beef with him. I guess a video like that sorts of interfeer in his current romance/honeymoon with Axl because it makes him look like he agrees with all those ideas and concepts behind the video. I totally understand why he feels weird about it.....

• Like 2

and that's where i say this is bullshit

Marc said in the other thread that this will work IF they worked their differencies BEFORE that romantic dirty old warehouse

Do they really need him, if this happens? really?

for fucks sake, give me a break

Eh anyway, fuck knows, this is just fantasy after all

Edited by Strange Broue

and that's where i say this is bullshit

Marc said in the other thread that this will work IF they worked their differencies BEFORE that romantic dirty old warehouse

Do they really need him, if this happens? really?

for fucks sake, give me a break

Eh anyway, fuck knows, this is just fantasy after all

No they don't need him. They don't need anyone but themselves. It's all up to those 5 guys and that's it.

But that's his fantasy.... We all can dream about our own private REUNION... I mean, in my world, Reunion would take place in a house I own in the south of Argentina. It'd be the perfect place, with bonfire and snow and furry things everywhere....

:lol:

Either way, I really doubt the dirty old warehouse will cause any emotion in them, more like Axl would be like ewww, where is my Versace jacket ffs!!!???

I would be mad if they used something I said in the past and made it seem current.

I think that's where Duff's frustration lies. He also knows that if Axl sees it that he could easily ignore Duff again for being a part of it. When you rebuild a relationship you hate to see it destroyed by someone else. Axl has gotten mad at previous managers or people for trying to make a reunion happen.

The original band will end up reuniting because of their common ground on thinking a reunion won't happen. They just need steven to agree that a reunion is dumb and then they can reunite!

• Like 1

I think that's where Duff's frustration lies. He also knows that if Axl sees it that he could easily ignore Duff again for being a part of it.

I doubt Duff gives two shits about Axl being a crybaby and putting him in his bitter enemy's blacklist.

I don't think Duff really cares about that clip being used in a doc about me but because the way they labeled it and the fact that he didn't see it coming, I could see him being upset that it could look like he is supporting this thing that may appear to be pushing for a reunion.

However Axl knows that the Duff clip was from 2007 and its nothing new. It has been used in a Reckless Road book trailer and on the online part of the book and for the Reckless Road app/kindle. Also Axl is smart enough to see that the doc is not really about a plan to get the old band back together.

However I'm sure Axl is not happy that there is this mini doc about the old band that 2 million people saw in 2 days. Also the fact that its about me and I think for what ever reason he feels that I'm promoting that old stuff for the wrong reason which is sad because I don't think he can see that it is all heart and the love that I have for him and the rest of the guys and what went on at that time. I also think if uproxx didn't market it the way they did, maybe just maybe Axl might have been able to see how sincere my feeling really are in the doc.

• Like 2

I think that's where Duff's frustration lies. He also knows that if Axl sees it that he could easily ignore Duff again for being a part of it.

I doubt Duff gives two shits about Axl being a crybaby and putting him in his bitter enemy's blacklist.

I think Duff values his new found relationship with Axl and we all know how sensitive Axl can be to feeling betrayed. For one I think Duff just doesn't want Axl to feel hurt by anything he does, and yes I think Duff cares about Axl. Maybe not his enemy list, but Duff seems to see the positive in most things, and I am sure that perspective has helped with his relationship with Axl.

Like Marc said though, Axl likely saw the clip and figured out most of it for himself. He does seem to take the perspective nobody saw though, so who knows what Axl really thought about the clip. I just like to assume that Axl took the angle that makes it seem like everyone is against him.

On the otherside of the Axl Duff thing, I think Axl really enjoys being in touch with Duff again. It is like we discussed during the south american shows, Axl has someone to lean on when Duff is out there. He isn't the outcast, it isn't him against everyone else, he has a friend that reached out to him, a guy he can trust, a guy that saw the struggle, and built the success. For Axl this has to take some of the anger away. I mean when Axl carried on in the early 2000's with the name every member from the past took a shot at Axl. I think that planted the me against the world seed. Now that Duff is a friend again, and Izzy who has been in Axl's corner for sometime, are talking it makes whatever ill feelings Axl had dissipate as time goes on. Obviously the Slash relationship is a big hurdle for Axl to cross. but hopefully it happens. I'm not saying Axl needs it or anything, but just knowing those guys are ok with eachother would put a good ending to the mess that is GNR.

Marc, I hope your relationship with Axl is repaired also. I think Axl called 2009 or 08 one of the hardest years of his life. Some of that was putting together a tour by himself while dealing with the fallout of his manager, but I think when he broke off that relationship with you it really was him against everyone else. The people close to him now were protecting him from getting angry and feeding him ideas or thoughts that they thought were good for him. He didn't have anyone that could tell him how it was. And I don't know anything as you can tell. I definately do not know what is best for Axl, but from what I have read about your relationship with Axl, I can tell you meant only good intentions for him.

• Like 1

I like that Duff is friends with Axl and Is friends with Izzy and still writes with him. Axl is friends with Izzy too. So that pretty good for a reunion.

Axl maybe too invested in his new Guns material

to drop it. Slash has pretty good solo thing going.

Axl did say Slash n Duff were realistically the ones more capable of doing a reunion. He didn't seem confident on Izzy n Steven.

At this point I think we need to get the military involved. Call President Obama this is a matter of international security.

Edited by wasted

I like that Duff is friends with Axl and Is friends with Izzy and still writes with him. Axl is friends with Izzy too. So that pretty good for a reunion.

Axl did say Slash n Duff were realistically the ones more capable of doing a reunion. He didn't seem confident on Izzy n Steven.

At this point I think we need to get the military involved. Call President Obama this is a matter of international security.

I know before Axl said if he like to do a thing here and there with Duff and Izzy, right now Axl is pretty confident of Duff than Izzy, Axl would do a full tour or have back Duff full time than Izzy, but when did Axl took Slash's name for a reunion? As far as a I remember Axl said one of them will die before it happens

2mg7gc9.jpg

:lol:

what a cool guy!

If I was Axl I wouldn't wanna lose him as a friend. They both care about each other and they seem very happy with their new found relationship. Duff has gone all the way eating his natural human pride to get Axl back in his life and I admire him for that. At this point, Duff is my favorite GNR member by far.

I know before Axl said if he like to do a thing here and there with Duff and Izzy, right now Axl is pretty confident of Duff than Izzy, Axl would do a full tour or have back Duff full time than Izzy, but when did Axl took Slash's name for a reunion? As far as a I remember Axl said one of them will die before it happens

"Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties." - Axl Rose, LA Times Dec. 21 2011

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-talks-playing-los-angeles-rock-hall-reunion.html

"Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties." - Axl Rose, LA Times Dec. 21 2011

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-talks-playing-los-angeles-rock-hall-reunion.html

Seriously, the fucking audacity of this guy to talk about hard work. Newsflash, Axl. You're a shit performer now. Steven is a better drummer than you are a singer. How is that possible?

• Like 1

The second section of that sentence beginning with ''but these guys...'' does not seem to be connected to the first section. Yes, Axlspeak.

"Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. Its nothing against Izzy and its nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys Im working with right now, they work really hard and its hard work. Ive toured with the other guys and Ive also seen what theyve done since, and I just know the difficulties." - Axl Rose, LA Times Dec. 21 2011

Seriously, the fucking audacity of this guy to talk about hard work. Newsflash, Axl. You're a shit performer now. Steven is a better drummer than you are a singer. How is that possible?

This. Also, how hard exactly do the new guys work? Learning 30 songs is not exactly hard work. Touring 2 months a year is not hard work. They don't have to deal with anything else because they are just hired hands. Axl is wrong with his statement.

"Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. Its nothing against Izzy and its nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys Im working with right now, they work really hard and its hard work. Ive toured with the other guys and Ive also seen what theyve done since, and I just know the difficulties." - Axl Rose, LA Times Dec. 21 2011

Bingo! Even Axl acknowledges the importance of Slash for a reunion to be possible - kudos for that. Although Duff is a great Gn'R member, I'd risk to say that for 90% of the fans out there just seeing Axl and Slash playing together again would make for an instant Gn'R reunion.

Im a little confused what he said on the "illusion" thing, first he said he can get the guys from the illusions which means Matt and Gilby and he said its nothing against Izzy and Steven, then he said he doesnt has the excitement to work with the people that joined during the illusions, So he is in the favor of Matt/Gilby or Steven/Izzy?

Maynard it is a very hard thing, they sat in the studio for so many years for their Singer/Boss to show up just once to record something, having so much patience and not getting pissed or going crazy at your boss is indeed a hard thing

Edit - Axl also said in another interview regarding Duff that the other "Members" work very hard and have taken it to the next level and it was very challenging for Duff and he liked that Challenge? what Challenge is he even talking about? Duff wrote the bass lines of those songs man

Edited by Slash787