Axl Rose and interviews (GN'R related)

23 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Cuz there's a lot more baggage there, a lot more barely resolved acrimony, a history of conflict that it's easier to not touch.  Wounds heal by stopping picking at them.  Perhaps it's just one of those tentative relationships, lots of bands have em, how many times did you see Johnny and Joey Ramone sit together and do an interview and kinda both be into it equally?  Never cuz they hated each others guts, same with The Sex Pistols, there are few interviews of them altogether in their heyday, being into it, cuz they just didn't get along but the idea is that you are a part of something thats bigger than all that, its just apparently taken the boys in GnR longer to realise that.

Or perhaps it's not that and it's just a simple case of they do not want to do interviews.  In the same way The Beatles just didn't wanna tour after a while.  I could see why people wouldn't wanna do interviews.  With AC/DC he's not the boss, he's just kinda in on their thing, filling in, GnR is his thing and there's a lot attached to that that potentially could make the entire enterprise a lot more stressful.

I say fuck it, they're together, just go out and play and maybe make music, no ones life depends on a release date or 'so, have you done lunch together yet?' and all these pithy details.  'Do you have an album coming?', maybe they do, maybe they don't, maybe it won't work out so they dont wanna commit, who knows.

Wow, I totally agree with everything you wrote here.

/thread

On 5/6/2016 at 8:45 AM, Len B'stard said:

Cuz there's a lot more baggage there, a lot more barely resolved acrimony, a history of conflict that it's easier to not touch.  Wounds heal by stopping picking at them. 

Great point. At this point in their careers, I think that GN'R don't have to chase the press for publicity. Nor do they need to expose themselves to a 1001 inane questions about who felt what when one was called a cancer by the other. I think that for those who really want this 'peace' to be sustained, the number one priority should not be 'more information', but that the band doing things at a pace and in a manner that they are comfortable with. That being said, the band can do a better job of giving their fans more information. There are ways to gradually let themselves into the public eye and offer themselves up for scrutiny, while doing it on their terms. While it would be great for curious fans to get a tell-all interview, or a master-interviewer like Howard Stern probing Axl and Slash together, it just may not be in the interests of the band or their relationships with each other. Mastering social media could be one of the single biggest opportunities that they have in both addressing the need for good publicity and addressing fan concerns, and getting their intended message across to the public at large. 

The video interviews that Axl did with AC/DC are a good example of this - these videos were widely accessible, they broached important subjects and addressed fan concerns. Without letting it get too uncomfortable or intrusive, the four or five videos gave people a good look at how things came to be, what things are like behind the scenes, and assess/experience the 'chemistry' for themselves. I think that right now, this route would be the best bet for GN'R - Slash, Duff, Axl and maybe one of the Nu Gunners answering taped questions that they put out on FB and twitter. Now, if GN'R did something like this, it may still not seem good enough for many of the fans. It could come across as too stage managed for some and just a marketing trick for others. But, considering the kind of information flow we have now, it would be a great improvement and it would be something that would allow the band to titrate the amount of information they let out, while doing it on their terms.

Edited by The Archer

5 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Great point. At this point in their careers, I think that GN'R don't have to chase the press for publicity. Nor do they need to expose themselves to a 1001 inane questions about who felt what when one was called a cancer by the other. I think that for those who really want this 'peace' to be sustained, the number one priority should not be 'more information', but that the band doing things at a pace and in a manner that they are comfortable with. That being said, the band can do a better job of giving their fans more information. There are ways to gradually let themselves into the public eye and offer themselves up for scrutiny, while doing it on their terms. While it would be great for curious fans to get a tell-all interview, or a master-interviewer like Howard Stern probing Axl and Slash together, it just may not be in the interests of the band or their relationships with each other. Mastering social media could be one of the single biggest opportunities that they have in both addressing the need for good publicity, addressing fan concerns and getting their intended message across to the public at large. 

The video interviews that Axl did with AC/DC are a good example of this - these videos were widely accessible, they broached important subjects and addressed fan concerns. Without letting it get too uncomfortable or intrusive, the four or five videos gave people a good look at how things came to be, what things are like behind the scenes, and asses/experience the 'chemistry' for themselves. I think that right now, this route would be the best bet for GN'R - Slash, Duff, Axl and maybe one of the Nu Gunners answering taped questions that they put out on FB and twitter. Now, if GN'R did something like this, it may still not seem good enough for many of the fans. It could come across as too stage managed for some and just a marketing trick for others. But, considering the kind of information flow we have now, it would be a great improvement and it would be something that would allow the band to titrate the amount of information they let out, while doing it on their terms.

Not saying I disagree with you or Len but, until someone in the band says something, I think everyone's just assuming stuff. It looks good but just saying, no one knows for sure.

Here's my 2 cents.

Axl probably doesn't want to do interviews because he doesn't want to get asked about what happened between him and Slash. Management could tell the interviewers not to ask questions about that, but what if they do anyway? Does Axl refuse, on camera, to answer them? It's worth an interviewer breaking a contract to have the possibility of finding out what the feud was about and how it resolved itself.

I find it interesting though that on Axl's ACDC interviews there wasn't any questions about GnR...

1 minute ago, liers said:

Here's my 2 cents.

Axl probably doesn't want to do interviews because he doesn't want to get asked about what happened between him and Slash. Management could tell the interviewers not to ask questions about that, but what if they do anyway? Does Axl refuse, on camera, to answer them? It's worth an interviewer breaking a contract to have the possibility of finding out what the feud was about and how it resolved itself.

I find it interesting though that on Axl's ACDC interviews there wasn't any questions about GnR...

You find it interesting that during interviews for AC/DC that GNR wasn't brought up? 

7 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

You find it interesting that during interviews for AC/DC that GNR wasn't brought up? 

Ashba gets asked about GnR during Sixx AM interviews.

Scott Weiland got asked about STP in solo album interviews.

Sammy Hagar gets asked about Van Halen in Chickenfoot interviews.

Gary Cherone gets asked about Van Halen in interviews for Extreme.

You're interviewing a guy who barely does interviews. His band, one of the biggest rock bands around, is in the midst of a reunion, and you don't ask anything about it?

13 minutes ago, liers said:

Ashba gets asked about GnR during Sixx AM interviews.

Scott Weiland got asked about STP in solo album interviews.

Sammy Hagar gets asked about Van Halen in Chickenfoot interviews.

Gary Cherone gets asked about Van Halen in interviews for Extreme.

You're interviewing a guy who barely does interviews. His band, one of the biggest rock bands around, is in the midst of a reunion, and you don't ask anything about it?

It's not too far fetched to presume that one or both of Axl and AC/DC didn't want GN'R questions for the interview, or screened the questions beforehand. Entirely understandable since this is a big moment for one band, and having questions about the internal workings of another band take the focus away from the interview doesn't make sense for them.

i would not expect GnR questions to be asked in an Ac/Dc situation.

Axl may not like to talk to the press, and clearly the band as a whole is not doing press - for whatever reason.  but they are doing cool shit like putting out videos on facebook every day this week.  That's something.  Its getting better.  

The shows speak for themselves really.    The music does the talking.   I don't need an interview to enjoy a show.   Sure, we'd all love to know the details surrounding Slash's return and what else is in the pipeline.. but clearly the band is not at a point where they want to discuss this stuff.

1. Nobody wants to do promo. If the shows are selling...

2. Also revenge on the media. Someone will get the big interview but not everyone. Quite a few Mick Wall types not invited to the secret show. Let's get petty. 

3. Also if you've been paying attention they've answered all questions already. Canter again reiterated the reasons for the Slash and Axl problem recently. 

4. I think they find the asslicking embarrassing. Filming it and putting it on youtube is probably they last thing they want. 

5. The boys. No comment.