2016 Summer Olympics

pinkforgirls

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched bits. I watched that roadrace where the Dutch girl crashed - I honestly thought she was dead! Crazy! I never realised it was that dangerous, cycling! We've done quite well in the swimming pool (gold, silver, two bronzes) but not much elsewhere. Hopefully when we get in the velodrome and the sailing starts in earnest, those golds will begin rolling in. 

Apparently the Brazilian spectators were shouting ''zika, zika'' at the US volleyball team. That is football fan level of imbecility!

I've been watching the hockey, GB got thrashed by Belgium. I really like the kayaking and BMX racing, also the equestrian events apart from dressage. Apart from that, I don't pay much attention until the track events are on. My daughter thinks the world of Jess Ennis, so we will be supporting her this Friday. 

I love Olympic Games :wub:. I watch it whenever I have time, mainly tennis, athletics and all the water sports but I enjoy watching everything, it's great to learn something new about a sport I do not usually watch during the year. 

My country is still without a medal though, let's hope it gets better :smiley-confused2:

There is some cool stuff in the Olympics, but I probably won't watch any of it, honestly. I don't like how they over-dramatize this shit on TV, I don't approve of how the Olympics totally fucks cities (I'd be more supportive if they re-thought how it all was done), and I can't pretend like I care about these sports. I don't care about them all of the time between the once-every-four-years summer Olympics; why would I suddenly care about them now? 

I might watch a little women's beach volleyball, though. 

On the subject of meeting Olympians, when I was a kid I went to a gymnastics class in the same gym where '96 gold medal winner Jury Chechi used to train. We met him before the 92 games in Barcelona, but he suffered a bad injury before the games started and had to withdraw. But he finally came good in 96, I remember turning the tv on right as this was happening:

Edited by sturginho

I was friendly with Don Tonry who was an Olympic gymnast way back when. Used to see him on his scooter in Payne Whitney gym at Yale and I'd always stop in his tiny office for a chat which always made him smile (old people love talking about the old days). His wife still coaches there, I do believe: she's like a dozen time All-American gymnast!