When did Slash become a disinteresting mascot/nostalgianovelty/whatever for you?

I have no problem with Slash, I don't particularly love his solo material and I wasn't really a big fan of VR but it was alright. I hate seeing him playing on American idol or with the black eyed peas but fuck it, that's what he wants to do.

Slash has had a greater output since the split but I prefer the one album Axl put out over all the VR, Slash and conspirators and Snakepit albums combined, I haven't been grabbed by anything he's done since Guns and I think that's largely to do with his do it now attitude, Axl drove him nuts in trying to get the right take with the right feeling but now that Axls not there to push him, Slash hasn't had many of those takes.

I like that he releases music, tours and promotes it I just don't love what he's doing, maybe 3 to 4 songs off each album are very good but the rest are a bit meh!

Edited by Tom2112

This happened for me after the 2nd Snakepit album. Outdated, boring, hanging on to the sound of the 1980's style of music was just getting boring for me.

Then Velvet Revolver came along and blew me away with "Contraband". I was a huge Slash fan again, although I think Scott gave that band the modern feel to it. If Slash and Duff has recruited someone like Baz, I think the sound would have been pretty close to Snakepit. Alas it was short-lived as I lost interest when they released "Libertad".

Pretty mush everything I have heard since Contraband has been mediocre at best. I have grown to appreciate Libertad but the solo thing with Myles Kennedy bores me to shit.

Don't recall this ever happening. I have seen him live though and he is awesome. People will scrape the bottom of the barrel to criticize the man. His next album is going to be awesome, and that's just too bad.

I feel like bashing Slash makes me a bigger Axl fan.

And bashing Slash somehow makes up for what Axl has done to GnR since he took sole control of the band.

True Axl fans can't also like or respect Slash.....we must bash him at every opportunity.

exactly! my nuts swell when I get to dig in on Slash. I get to feel closer to Axl and distance myself for "cockrock" and "hair Metal" when i do that. Everyday I want to do a thread of "whos the best guitarist threads" to try to drive home the point that this new band has some validity and has contributed to the heritage and legacy of GNR.. but Wfuckinga beat me to it.

Had Slash not left the band we all know that Axl could have had 10 albums out by now.

Instead of Motley Crue doing a "FINAL TOUR" and leaving the scene.. it could have been Guns and Roses...but no now were doomed to stil around and wait to see if these 3 new songs are in fact 3 new songs or more of the same patchworked together protools tinker toy made wall of ecclectic and interesting sounds .... waiting for the left overs.

It really is a shame that Axl/Izzy didn't keep Tracii Guns in the band. Just imagine how much further GnR would have progressed with him instead of Slash. Instead of Jungle we could have had Axl singing "One more reason" and instead of SCOM we could have had Axl's version of The Ballad of Jayne.

Then, it's a shame that Slash was around during the Illusions era. Sure, he came up with the music for songs like Coma, Civil War, Estranged and handed those off to Axl.....but what if they'd had a young up-and-coming DJ Ashba at the time? I'd bet money the Illusions would have sold 30 million copies each instead of each one selling 17 million.

I know fully understand why it truly does seem painful to some people that Slash was in GnR. Clearly the band would have been WAY more successful with a different guitar player.

• Like 1

I can't even begin to address every single post/sentence in this thread which with I disagree. So some general statements: Slash IS an excellent songwriter, musically speaking. I don't care if you don't like his post Guns material, or only like some of it, that doesn't mean he is a bad songwriter. The amount of overgeneralizations, assumptions, and simply stupid logic stated in this thread astounds me. Maybe Axl fans are jealous that Slash is the model musician that Axl should be? I don't know. You can say you dislike Slash's post Guns stuff, that's fine with me. But if you make stupid comments and assertions that have no substantive support which are fueled by your unsophisticated desire to discredit Slash, I'm going to call you out.

Slash has a very large following that supports the majority (or all) of his musical endeavors. Music is not a hobby for Slash now that he's successful, it's still a passion. I will admit his post Guns stuff is slightly less of an accessible genre to the average listener, but it's still some pretty damn good hard rock music.

And bashing Slash somehow makes up for what Axl has done to GnR since he took sole control of the band.

True Axl fans can't also like or respect Slash.....we must bash him at every opportunity.

Because the only reason anyone would bash a tired 80s nostalgia guitarist is because they want to be faithful to a tired 80s nostalgia singer? GNR fans are so deluded.

That's my approach.

Butt rock! Moobs!

Because the only reason anyone would bash a tired 80s nostalgia guitarist is because they want to be faithful to a tired 80s nostalgia singer? GNR fans are so deluded.

No, not the only reason. And I'm not generalizing an entire fan base of people. But nice try.

In the case of a group of the most vocal posters on here......yes, your statement in regards to mine is correct. Watch the posting style of guys like volcano and Wf*ckina for starters.

Slash puts out new albums every couple of years, works with current musicians, why is he a "tired 80s nostalgia guitarist?" I know you like to bash almost anything that is from the 80s or 90s, but what would you suggest guys like Slash do? Once a guitar player reaches the age of 35 or older, they should retire and start selling furniture? The guy loves playing guitar, releases music, tours, and lots of people like and support him - not sure why that makes you so angry. If you don't like 80s music - don't listen to it. But why let it bother you so much that other people like it? Why is it so important to you to insult genres of music (and its fans) that you don't like?

No, not the only reason. And I'm not generalizing an entire fan base of people. But nice try.

In the case of a group of the most vocal posters on here......yes, your statement in regards to mine is correct. Watch the posting style of guys like volcano and Wf*ckina for starters.

Slash puts out new albums every couple of years, works with current musicians, why is he a "tired 80s nostalgia guitarist?" I know you like to bash almost anything that is from the 80s or 90s, but what would you suggest guys like Slash do? Once a guitar player reaches the age of 35 or older, they should retire and start selling furniture? The guy loves playing guitar, releases music, tours, and lots of people like and support him - not sure why that makes you so angry. If you don't like 80s music - don't listen to it. But why let it bother you so much that other people like it? Why is it so important to you to insult genres of music (and its fans) that you don't like?

All of my likes are used up, but Groghan again you attempt to inject sense into an otherwise senseless endeavor perpetrated by so many on this forum. Thank you.

Wfa and volcano are obnoxious cupcakes. Nothing more. Just because they post 1000 times a day doesn't make their opinions the voice of people who don't like Slash. Most just find him generic and uninteresting. It has absolutely nothing to do with Axl.

My 80s-bashing is no different from classicrawker and the like who run around proclaiming anything that isn't classic rock (or inspired by it) to be shit. I just like to even the table. I don't hate the 90s either, don't know where you got that from. Recall my threads about iconic 90s rock and rap albums. That's the only decade I could pull that off for.

On topic, musically I'm 50/50 on Slash. He's put out about equal ratios of good and bad material. As a person he's one of the most uninteresting corporate shills in rock. You'll never see him say or try anything daring or unexpected. If you didn't know who he was, you'd never guess that he used to be a part of the "most dangerous band in the world". That, and he tries to act like he's taking the high road with the GNR thing, but he still takes little pot shots at Axl in his songs and tries to play them off as "but Ozzy wrote it! I just play the guitar dude...". If he's still got beef with Axl, fair game, but don't try and take the high road while still taking your shots.

Never.

Slash is not what he used to be because real Guns was never his band, real Guns was so good because of the creative forces they all were, together. I have enjoyed every record Slash has released since 1995, some of them are better than others, some of them have better songs than the others, but you can always find two or three songs that have this "Gn'R" nature on them. At least that's in my opinion.

I loved Snakepit I and II. Rod Jackson was and still is a hell of a singer, wish they could have stayed together for a few more years. I wish Blues Ball would have released a cover album.

Slash's guitar sound and Slash's guitar playing are still awesome to this day. I have no reason to stop supporting him.

On topic, musically I'm 50/50 on Slash. He's put out about equal ratios of good and bad material. As a person he's one of the most uninteresting corporate shills in rock. You'll never see him say or try anything daring or unexpected. If you didn't know who he was, you'd never guess that he used to be a part of the "most dangerous band in the world". That, and he tries to act like he's taking the high road with the GNR thing, but he still takes little pot shots at Axl in his songs and tries to play them off as "but Ozzy wrote it! I just play the guitar dude...". If he's still got beef with Axl, fair game, but don't try and take the high road while still taking your shots.

Okay, that's the most rational and fair negative assessment of Slash I think I've seen on this forum. I respect your opinion, but which post Guns stuff would rate as "bad"? I would really only call Libertad weak, though I probably still like it more than CD. I agree that Slash has toned it down a lot from the GNR days, but he was addicted to ridiculous amounts of alcohol, heroin, and cocaine during those days... Axl really only smoked weed from what I can tell. Any "attitude" that Slash was demonstrating during the GNR days, was likely fueled by his addictions. When did he become a "corporate shill"? I think he genuinely likes making music, whether that is an original hard rock album or a guest spot on a rapper's song, Slash is doing it for fun not for $. GNR has given him plenty of $, he could easily pack up his guitar and throw it into a river and never have to worry about being financially unstable just from the $ he's made from GNR.

I do agree though that he skews the GNR debacle in his favor, but other than that I can see nothing really wrong with what Slash has done post Guns. As noted by many people in this thread and forum, Slash's misgivings are nowhere near comparable to the disappointment that Axl has brought GNR fans over the past 10-15 years. That's a fact, I'm not trying to start a debate about that, it's a fact.

Edited by OmarBradley

Okay, that's the most rational and fair negative assessment of Slash I think I've seen on this forum. I respect your opinion, but which post Guns stuff would rate as "bad"? I would really only call Libertad weak, though I probably still like it more than CD. I agree that Slash has toned it down a lot from the GNR days, but he was addicted to ridiculous amounts of alcohol, heroin, and cocaine during those days... Axl really only smoked weed from what I can tell. Any "attitude" that Slash was demonstrating during the GNR days, was likely fueled by his addictions. When did he become a "corporate shill"? I think he genuinely likes making music, whether that is an original hard rock album or a guest spot on a rapper's song, Slash is doing it for fun not for $. GNR has given him plenty of $, he could easily pack up his guitar and throw it into a river and never have to worry about being financially unstable just from the $ he's made from GNR.

I do agree though that he skews the GNR debacle in his favor, but other than that I can see nothing really wrong with what Slash has done post Guns. As noted by many people in this thread and forum, Slash's misgivings are nowhere near the disappoint that Axl has brought GNR fans over the past 10 or so years. That's a fact, I'm not trying to start a debate about that, it's a fact.

Bad: Most of 5OCS, all of Libertad, 2010 solo album (minus Myles songs)

Good: Ain't Life Grand, Contraband, Apocalyptic Love (generic, but fun as fuck)

Like I said, it's 50/50. The corporate shill thing is basically in response to all of his interviews being the same boring answers to the same boring questions, never doing anything controversial, playing on songs for Disney, BEP and the like. He's basically a popstar at this point, only without the modern hit songs.

I honestly don't think enough about Slash to form a strong opinion on him. I liked him in Guns N' Roses. I didn't want to hear his solo stuff, even back in the GnR heyday. I just wasn't interested enough to care. At the end of the day he's not my style of guitarist overall.

I don't hate the guy, though. I have no idea what the truth of his conflict with Axl is, and I don't care to know. And I can't begrudge him, or any other musician, for doing what they can to make a decent living.