Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion Thread *NO Spoilers*

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

For the record @username @Deb Rose

Hide contents

It's Euron that steals one of the dragons in the books (that they've dropped from the show). The 3 heads of the dragon thing, I don't was supposed to be taken literally or mean what people think it does.

As for breaking the wall in the books. That's the Horn of Joramun that Mance Ryder spends his time looking for, but I don't remember it being referenced in the show. Also too late now anyway with only several episodes left.

"You know how I united the Free Folk?" (actual line was longer)

*expects to hear about the horn*

"I tell them we're all gonna die if we don't get south!"

Right, because it took fuck knows how long before somebody says "Hey guys! Why don't we go south? We'd probably live a little longer!" 

• Like 1

Just want to point out that they can no longer use time jumps to explain how fast characters travel.

Spoiler

Gendry apparently traveled 30 or 40 miles or whatever (if not 100 miles, according to that line they just had to leave in) in a few hours to get back to East Watch then send a raven, which must be really fast to travel across a continent which is supposed to be the size of South America to get to Dragonstone, so that Danny could herself the whole way over the continent then beyond the wall and rescue them all in a single night/day.

Oh and the boat that gets there as well within a day?

It still would be a logic gap, but they should just wrote that Bran warns Danny.

Anyway good episode honestly, but switching on brain in retrospect is a mistake.

Edited by AtariLegend
Forgot another thing

8 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

Just finished the 6th episode..

giphy.gif

Definitely this. And aside from the usual teleportation tricks we've seen this season, that was awesome. 

I don't think I've been this sad about a character death. :( 

Curious to see what they'll do now though. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Bummer that the dragon died, but at least my prediction came true :D Benjen was nice, I liked it. I have faith in the Jaime Azor Ahai theory, and that he also could be an important weapon to defeat the Night King. I have a tiny hope that Arya and Sansa just kill Littlefinger next episode and get done with it, next season should just be about the White Walkers and killing Cersei :D Also Gendry running to the Wall and sending a raven to Daenerys and having her fly North of The Wall was a huge stretch.

Good episode.

Bad writing, great execution, as has become the norm of this show.

I liked the fan service stuff like the group banter, and I liked the battle and the dragons.

Ton of plot holes though. I mean, if the NK is really such a baller with the spears, why didn't he just pick off the heros as they were trapped on the rocks? 

I suppose it is possible that the NK is a greenseer, and wanted to lure Dany and her dragons so he could take them out and wight them. Still coulda done that AND killed the heros though.

The time jumps in this episode in particular were almost comical.

Edited by Dan H.

2 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Any of the Major League teams would love to have him

Who would have thought after all these years of discussion about what could take down Dany's dragons, and the answer all along was a simple ice spear lol. D+D can fuck right off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bran said:

Who would have thought after all these years of discussion about what could take down Dany's dragons, and the answer all along was a simple ice spear lol. D+D can fuck right off.

Apologists will say it was GRRM who thought of it 

• Like 1

Just now, Georgy Zhukov said:

This season(the last couple really) has had such a lack of cohesion the first 3 or 4 seasons had, the only time this happens is when D+D go off script and need to write their own stuff IMO. Just a lot of this season makes little to zero sense, especially where things are heading in the books compared to the show. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bran said:

This season(the last couple really) has had such a lack of cohesion the first 3 or 4 seasons had, the only time this happens is when D+D go off script and need to write their own stuff IMO. Just a lot of this season makes little to zero sense, especially where things are heading in the books compared to the show. 

I couldn't agree more. Since the first season the weakest scenes were the ones invented for the show. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I really don't think George outright told them the ending, or if he did... they're telling their own version of it.

Who sits on Throne at the end is not the point of the story. Then again we'll probably only ever find out after George is gone and his notes have been passed onto his estate. Assuming WW3 doesn't break out first.

The convenient annulment of Rhaegar's marriage, Gilly reads about makes no sense. He'd literally have de-legitimatized his other kids that he thought were alive at the time and maybe started a war with Dorne amongst other things.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

Watching it, it seems like a good episode. But then you look back at it and WOW. I've written fanfiction better than that. 

Everything works out (with the exception of Vyserion), no one major dies, it's like Disney, not GoT. I hope the fucking books come out before WW3.

And the romance... hahahaha. Jesus. But yeah, I wanna see that going down. 

Edited by Deb Rose

I knew when neither Jaime or Bronn died that they were gonna go weak with deaths this season (besides a dragon ofc). Those two both surviving was such a reach, and the lack of guidance from the books shows how weak D&D are as writers; without someone else's guideline they're all over the place in terms of plot and characterisation. 

It wouldn't surprise me if GRRM told them he was planning to kill a dragon (specifically Viserion) and have it become an 'ice dragon'... but hadn't come up with the "how", and so D&D were left to make up this mess that any media student could've written better.

On 17/08/2017 at 4:53 AM, Dan H. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Bad writing, great execution, as has become the norm of this show.

I liked the fan service stuff like the group banter, and I liked the battle and the dragons.

Ton of plot holes though. I mean, if the NK is really such a baller with the spears, why didn't he just pick off the heros as they were trapped on the rocks? 

I suppose it is possible that the NK is a greenseer, and wanted to lure Dany and her dragons so he could take them out and wight them. Still coulda done that AND killed the heros though.

The time jumps in this episode in particular were almost comical.

There is that fan-theory about who the Night King is, so what you said would make sense.

I think the biggest issue is not the big change they made from the book plot in this show (see substituting Euron/Viserion with Night King/Viserion, just so they could have a zombie Dragon), it's the fact that they've decided the Others are now suddenly vampires. 

Kill the walkers and the wights fall? Just too weak and convenient to introduce at this point. 

Also Jon in the show is one of my least favorite characters in the show. Constantly on the losing side and repeatedly saved by other people; Crastor's wives, Stannis, Littlefinger, Danny, Benjen. 

The special effects were fantastic, but the writing is terrible. No one the original author suggested he hasn't watched the show.

Edited by AtariLegend