Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion Thread *NO Spoilers*

16 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

You're right it doesn't ruin Arya, but she's a fan favorite so people are more sensitive about her arc.

Using Brienne to demonstrate her badassery was efficient, and I can see why they did it. My only thing with Arya this season that is a little nitpicky is that there should have been a confrontation in the Ed Shireen scene, where we get a demomstration of Arya's skills even before she spars with Brienne to make it less jarring. Plus we'd see Ed Shireen die, and it would end the first episode with some light fan service.

Anyways, I'm eager to see where we go from here. For people who have read the spoilers only:

Reveal hidden contents

Next episode looks like its going to be filler and exposition to prep us for the Eastwatch Battle in E6. I wonder if they will show us how the Hound, Thoros, and Beric get imprisoned at Eastwatch, or if the writers will just teleport us there and the Brotherhood is already imprisoned. I just want E6 already, there hasn't been a bad WW scene yet.

Definitely agree that seeing Arya take down Ed Shireen and his fellow soldiers would have been great.  Though, the director of the last episode said we should presume that Ed Shireen's character was burned up by Drogon, so at least that's something.  

53 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

My favorite character arc is probably Sansa. Though her rape scene was invented for plot reasons. In the book Ramsay married a different character, who was supposed to be posing as Ayra. Long story

It's again important, because the events at Wintefell are about Theon's redemption (which doesn't seem to be coming on the show or matter). It's also important that Jon thinks Arya is Ramsay's bride, since that's why in the books he decides to march south in the books/breaking his vows (resulting in him getting stabbed).

Arya is one of the 5 principle characters from the original draft, but so is Bran. If the show could have cut Bran's material out off the show along with the explanations for what the fuck is going on, they should cut Arya's too for a season or two.

I was a big fan of Arya's adventures in Bravos in the books, but it's an absolute mess in the show. They could have done what George originally intended after the 3rd book and just time-skipped ahead after she left for Bravos. People would be upset Arya's AFK for two seasons, but at least the story doesn't turn out the way it does.

One character I'm surprised people weren't concerned about, Tyrion. He's been fucking useless since they skipped over his Essos adventures and had him meet Danny. He only shows up so the actor can get paid and to occasionally give Danny terrible advice.

I remember in season 4, when casual show watchers thought Peter Dinklage was the star of the show. 

Edited by AtariLegend

Gendry thing played out like even more shoehorned fan service than the leaked scripts read. Really could have been avoided if they had just kept Gendry with the Brotherhood in the earlier seasons. The more I think about it, the more I think the Gendry going MIA/rowing sub-plot was an excuse to get Melissandre naked in season 3 and less to do with having to hire an actor to play Edric Storm for a single episode.

Next week though it's blow-budget episode. Should be the best episode of the past few seasons.

Edited by AtariLegend

2 hours ago, Deb Rose said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Another spawn of the devil being generated. For fuck's sake, isn't Cersei too old?

Really an unnecessary added in sub plot.

They might as well have skipped the Maggy The Frog flash back in season 5.

Spoiler

They already contradicted it in the first season when they randomly had Cerseri tell Cat about another child that they since retconned. 

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Really an unnecessary added in sub plot.

They might as well have skipped the Maggy The Frog flash back in season 5.

Hide contents

They already contradicted it in the first season when they randomly had Cerseri tell Cat about another child that they since retconned. 

Spoiler

That was in the book. Cersei said she had a child with Robert he she killed it. Not sure if it was an abortion or she smothered the baby. 

33 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:
  Hide contents

That was in the book. Cersei said she had a child with Robert he she killed it. Not sure if it was an abortion or she smothered the baby. 

I really don't remember that in the books.

Had to google it;

Spoiler

She took something to get rid herself, but she never gave birth. In the show she actually gave birth which completely contracted the Maggy the Frog prophecy and they never mentioned it after season 1 again.

It was one of those silly changes they included, but didn't think through the consequences. Then again D/D only ever planned the show till the Red Wedding.

Either way, I'm fairly certain this isn't happening in the next book either.

1 hour ago, Deb Rose said:

I doubt D&D would bring him back for only 1 episode.

You mean after Rickon/Osha last season :P?

Not that it matters for the show, but in relation to the books George did say

Spoiler

Gendry would meet Arya again before the end.

I'd assume it happens in the show too.

Edited by AtariLegend