Gardening

Gracii Guns

32 minutes ago, soon said:

Wow. The gardening thread is blowing up - who even knew anyone else was reading along :lol:

I just meant if there was residual chemicals from meth lab in the building would they even be able to light up a joint with out risks. Therefore if I smelled pot would that mean I likely dont have to fear that they have a meth lab going?

I hope its just laundry!!!! I dont know why theyd put in a washer dryer in that little space is what keeps this mysterious. Ive never been bothered by laundromat smells, so they must have zero venting - or its venting to my unit. :lol:

Static hair :lol: 

Yeah, who knew anyone was reading the gardening thread?  We did kind of take over the thread Soon.

The stuff that gets into the surrounding environment isn't explosive.  It's like exposure to asbestos or DDT.  Not even sure how they dispose of that stuff. Your health department would be a source for that information.  Like I said, never trust your people making illegal drugs know what they are doing.  How many time have you seen people smoking around gasoline?

16 minutes ago, cineater said:

Yeah I knew that wasn't the right way to say that.  Not very good at the science stuff.  What's the distinction I was trying to make between pot and the meth chemicals? 

One is naturally occurring and one is synthetic. That said, one isn’t necessarily better than the other. Asbestos and cyanide are both naturally occurring in nature too. :lol: 

Sorry for being a dick in my first reply by the way. I’ve just re-read it and I could have phrased that better.  

28 minutes ago, cineater said:

Yeah, who knew anyone was reading the gardening thread?  We did kind of take over the thread Soon.

The stuff that gets into the surrounding environment isn't explosive.  It's like exposure to asbestos or DDT.  Not even sure how they dispose of that stuff. Your health department would be a source for that information.  Like I said, never trust your people making illegal drugs know what they are doing.  How many time have you seen people smoking around gasoline?

Okay, thanks. I will drop by the Community Health centre and get whatever investigative process underway. That place is crawling with hippies though :facepalm::lol:

Ive decided that if its unventilated laundry then they will have to do my laundry for 2 months :lol:

7 hours ago, soon said:

I just spent time standing and starring at my dead garden. :lol:

ima wait for the upcoming repairs inspection before I get the full grow lights operation up. Avoid any silly scuttlebutt. Same goes for mushroom cultivation.

I know, I look at it too.  One day it was picture perfect and all of the sudden, it was gone.  It's pretty bleak out there in the pantry beds.  Not one plant standing.

They upped our snowfall for tomorrow.  Mom's lights are up and her yard put to bed for the season.  Couldn't quite get the stiffness out of the flipper fingers today.  3rd place in the playoffs. <_<

12 hours ago, cineater said:

I know, I look at it too.  One day it was picture perfect and all of the sudden, it was gone.  It's pretty bleak out there in the pantry beds.  Not one plant standing.

They upped our snowfall for tomorrow.  Mom's lights are up and her yard put to bed for the season.  Couldn't quite get the stiffness out of the flipper fingers today.  3rd place in the playoffs. <_<

Youre getting more snow than usual. And earlier if Im not mistaken?

I wonder if theres any therapies for your stiff fingers? Massage? Or something to do every time you come in from the cold?

Pin Ball playoffs?

But your champion Blues just beat Calgary. <_<:lol:

Remembrance Day in the capital has got me thinking about "victory gardens." Too bad we didnt as a culture all continue on with those gardens.

Yeah we're about 7 weeks early for what we are getting this week.  We had gotten use to milder Decembers over the last few years but that wasn't normal either.  It was a cool summer too.  And a wet spring.

I'll ask the doc about my hands when I see him.  Probably just an age thing.  Yeah, I play on a pinball league.  Not that good but I have my balls. :lol:  The fingers were not quite working the flipper buttons like I wanted them too yesterday.  Not as fast hitting the balls and a little slower getting off the button.  But then again, it only happen on a couple of machines so you can't rule out they were getting worn out either.  I had a couple of balls where I was thinking, I'm kind of tired of playing this one this long.

We got the Victory Garden history too.  The new spin on that is what's called Urban Gardening.  All about space, convenience and healthy living.  Thus the container garden project next year.  Took care of space to grow.  Convenience will be the drip irrigation and the fertilizer sticks.  What I'm missing is the storage for keeping the extra for later use.  I'm not any good at that.

They were counting on the ground being warm enough to melt the snow.  It did but the temps dropped so fast the moment the sun went down it turned to ice.  Traffic nightmare out there.  And we are going down in the teens overnight.  I heard the loud boom but didn't know what it was.  It was a meteor. 

I was reading chickens like kale.

3rd place in pin ball is pretty good though! Im sure it was sometimes the machines and sometimes your stiff hands. Im impressed!

We got record snow for one day at this time if year yesterday.

That container project is so cool. I was starting to conceptualize new victory gardens as in 'victory in the climate crisis' gardens.'

Next year I will put in a drip irrigation system at my big garden. Will be a life changer!!

Did you mean about having space to keep your harvested veggies? I wonder if you could dig out a root cellar in your yard?

10 hours ago, cineater said:

They were counting on the ground being warm enough to melt the snow.  It did but the temps dropped so fast the moment the sun went down it turned to ice.  Traffic nightmare out there.  And we are going down in the teens overnight.  I heard the loud boom but didn't know what it was.  It was a meteor. 

I was reading chickens like kale.

Please send chickens, stat! :lol: I made my cheeseburger puff pastry and I forgot to add the kale. The kale being the entire reason I made it :facepalm: Ahhhhhhhhh!

Be careful on tht ice - that is the worst!

You heard a boom, like the meteorite exploding?

• Haha 1

Storage as in freezing and canning. 

I guess you didn't consider getting your own chicken.  I wasn't going to outwardly suggest it but I was thinking it might put a bug in your ear. :lol:

Don't know what that boom was but they said other people heard it.  Maybe a sonic boom?  If it hadn't been so cold, I probably would have been outside to see it.  It's amazing how many people's door cams caught it.

This weather has me singing Mamas and Papas, I'd be safe and warm if I was in LA. :lol:

• Haha 1

I wonder if a pressure canner could be a MG purchase? And a library class to get someone to give lessons? Using a pressure canner is a touch stressful at first, but like anything you get used to it. It heats up the house so its great that much of the canning happens in fall when its nice to open the windows. I have so many unused canning jars this season since I focused on beans and lentils.

I would love to keep some hens!! Great minds think alike! :lol:

Too cool about the meteorite. I bet it could be a sonic boom. Glad it didnt take out St Louis!

Haha, California Dreaming on such a waters day. It is wild out here today, about 7 inches of snow, more falling, windy. When I first ventured out this morning I was so into the winter... that lasted about two blocks :lol: And I still went by my little garden now eclipsed by snow. Neighbour shovelled the path :slash:

There's beauty in a winter's day.  The sun catches the snow and it sparkles.  Or right before it snows, it's so peaceful.  The nights are crisp and clear.  I could walk around all winter if it wasn't for the fucking wind!

I have 3 unmanned gardens.  You know I'm dreaming of what I'm going to do with those if nobody steps up.  And now that I've made my plans for them I'm dreading somebody stepping up to man them. :lol: Somebody will, maybe not for the daylilies, our problem child.  Not much to do with them so I may just adopt some of them out.  Keep them weed free all year and I will let you dig and divide them.  Take home some for yourself.  Gardeners are such suckers for free plants.

More and more I wish I had went the gardening direction with my life.  But it was heavily entangled with the drug world and if you're going to leave the drug world, you have to leave the drug world.  If there's another world you want to live in Soon, don't wait. 

There is beauty to winter. Well said. However we've already had record snow fall and record low temperature in the span of two days. Im wearing three layers while indoors! Its currently -22c with wind chill!!!

You know you'll happily take on all three beds :lol:

20 hours ago, cineater said:

If there's another world you want to live in Soon, don't wait. 

This really got me thinking. Seriously. Im very grateful that you are my MG at this point in your life :)  

I really want to get myself established in urban agriculture. But not growing legal weed. I think some things might just be coming together. Time will tell.

10 hours ago, cineater said:

Okay, next week we warm back up.  In the meantime, if you want to go hunt for pieces of the asteroid, dress warm and look for the melted spot of snow, according to the news.  Wonder how many people are going to do that? :lol:

Too cool!! Id go around looking. Thats neat that they are still hot!

Im getting my grow room cleaned and organized. I can just tell that Sweet Cornbread is already plotting his attack <_<:lol:

Edited by soon

No gardening today, wedding dress shopping.  We got the one that made her cry.  The one she walked out of the room and we all went wow.  The one I picked out for her to try on. It still shows her tat but the veil will cover that.  And she don't care about that anyway.   

:lol: My friend texted back, freaked, she thought it was me in the dress.  Can't deny that child.

Edited by cineater
  • GNFNR 1

The acorn did not fall far from the tree, so to speak.

The coleus hung in there for the first few days of the cold snap in the garage.  Came home last night and they were done.  No lantana sprouts showing yet.  The Joseph Coat cuttings aren't doing that well.  I got them after the first light frost so I might have waited too long to take cuttings.  The coleus cuttings are doing fine.

We are slowly warming back up but the night temps are pretty low.  But omg, walked around the yard and everything is dead.  Not to mention leaf covered.  Such a shocked to see it. :lol:  Guess I better get my ass out there.

Edited by cineater

Thats too bad about the coleus in the garage, but you did all you could for them. I hope those Joesph Coat cuttings pull through. Im guessing its a colourful plant?

Change of seasons happened so fast! Youll be racking leaves that are under snow :lol:

Fingers crossed for those Lantanas!

I vote that all the money goes to the out door classroom :headbang:

Kale is processed and stored. Never thought Id get to say that :lol:

Yea, the Kale is done!  I guess I should ask, do you think you'll still be able to at that next year after having consumed so much of it this year? :lol:

The budget requests for next year are 40% higher than what we spent this year.  That's without a request for an outdoor classroom.  I'm probably going to cancel the Urban container special project too.  I'm not getting a feel that people want to use the demo gardens for anything other than having people walk around and look.  I haven't been able to really discuss doing anything else with the group.  I may be able to do it next year and make plans for the following year.  

When this kale is all done, kale is dead to me :lol:

Im sad to hear you might cancel the Urban Container project - thats so important. And fun! Hope it works out!

Snow and cold was too much today so I stayed in with a baguette and brie. :lol: Any developments on the Lantanas?

I check them everyday, nothing yet.  I kind of feel like I need a heating mat.  Today I'm starting another batch.  This time pink lantana.  They aren't supposed to come true from seed so I may get other colors then pink.

We had to cancel the budget meeting today because the hemp production conference exploded.  Everybody wants to be a pot farmer.  Good thing because I'm freaked out over those budgets.  A 40 percent increase in funding requests and no plan in place to use those gardens for education or to promote what little we are doing out there to the public.  I'm about to drive home a point in that meeting.

Cancelled the container project for this time around.  We need to do more research and the person who is doing it with me will be physically unable to help until June as she is having shoulder surgery.  I'm still going to try to grow watermelon in a container because I fucking love that shit. :lol:  Never without a backup plan, I'm going to feature all the new plants we are growing for the plant sale in that bed.  People can see what we had that was new and we can see how the plants do for us, familiarize ourselves with them.

Damn it, I ran out of leaves.  I'm putting all my home beds under leaf mulch.  Still have one bed left to go and I could do all along the fence.  My neighbors yard, covered in leaves, is looking real tempting at the moment. :lol:

• Haha 1

Hemp is the food and fibre cousin to pot, just about to make some granola with hemp in it! Is it looking like pot will be legal there soon? Why are people so excited when its illegal? Pretty classic reason for people to cancel a meeting, though :lol:

Thats cool that youll still have the watermelon. Great idea for the display garden!

I have a conundrum, I needed to get a new dehumidifier for my grow room. I will also be hang drying my laundry in the room. But in the meantime, the electric heating is really messing with my nose - the air is so dry. So therefore I need to get a humidifier. So in a small space, how does this all balance out? Do I just need the humidifier?

Jan 1st, medical marijuana is legal here.

Does it really get that moist in there with the clothes hanging up to dry?  I would think your fan would be good enough to keep the air circulating and disperse that, maybe crack the window.  Turn off the humidifier when you're doing laundry.  Of course you would need a gauge to measure the humidity and need to know the range for the plants you are growing to get it right.  I'm on my way to the greenhouse so I'll talk it over with Marsha.  That's if she's talking to me this morning.  I told her I thought her expense for stepping stones is an extravagance for the number of people we have coming to visit the gardens.  That didn't go over well. :lol: