Damien Echols from the West Memphis Three Interview

hodge4443

Really cool interview with Damien Echols from the West Memphis Three in the new issue of Revolver Magazine. I haven't been able to find a link to it yet, but I'm still looking.

Revolver: "What music have you been able to listen to? Do you still listen to metal and hard rock?"

Echols: "I'm not allowed to have CDs or an iPOD, so I'm stuck with whatever they play on mainstream radio now. Yeah, I still love metal, though. I think metal is the fountain of youth. It keeps you young. One of the local radio stations played the entire Chinese Democracy album by Guns N' Roses when it first came out, and I had tears on my face through the whole thing because of how magical it was. I heard Axl's voice, and it was like the past 17 years had never happened. For an hour or so I was 18 years old and free again."

Revolver: "You've collaborated with Pearl Jam and Michael Graves on music. Who would be your dream artist to work with?"

Echols: "Definitely Marilyn Manson. I love how he's constantly exploring new art forms and growing as an artist while refusing to let anyone define him. Rob Zombie is another one. He is an absolute genius. I'm also a huge fan of Nick Cave, both in literature and music, so to do anything with him would be pure magic. And Axl Rose, of course. There has never been a band that means as much to me as GN'R, no matter who else is in the lineup."

The rest of the interview is really good. Ya know, this is like the third or forth Revolver Mag in a row to mention Axl and GnR. Pretty cool.

FREE THE THREE!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, there is a good interview with slash in this issue. Talks briefly about Axl and Adler. and a nice poster of him and Lemmy.

Edited by hodge4443

Weird, how he's in prison for murder, and he says his biggest influence is Marilyn Manson.

I wonder if he would ever tell the parole board that.

You should watch the film Sunny. It's a must-see.

The kids said some real honest things on the witness stand that made them look bad.

Awful what happend to those 3.

No different in age or lifestyle than myself that same year.

Felt like it coulda been me or some of my friends, fucked over by our own little hick town, and no one would have givin a shit.

No shit.

These 3 at the very least deserve new trials.

with all the dna pointing to the stepfather and more importantly not to any one of the west memphis 3, its incomprehensible that these three men can not at the very least get a new trial!

what did the kids do during the trial that made them look bad?

can't cite specific sources right now; and it's not like they (and really it was only Damien; not jesse/michael) did a TON of stuff that "made them look bad during trial," but you know what? so what if they did? the ENTIRE moral of this story is what bad things can happen when you judge a book by its cover. The absolute bottom line- and the line which should matter most- is that they most likely are NOT guilty of the accusations. Good! Wear all the black, listen to as much Manson and Slayer and whomever as you want. If you didn't kill anyone and still have the right to live the kind of lifestyle you like, go right ahead.

On topic: that is awesome he is a GN'R fan. I've read 2 books about wm3 and was aware Damien liked GN'R , but not to the extent of which he expresses here. God, I hope those dudes get to see their day.

Edited by there is no dana only zool

Wow i didnt know about the Memphis Three, though they didn't do themselves much favours during the trial, it seems.

I do hope they get released.

''I heard Axl's voice, and it was like the past 17 years had never happened. For an hour or so I was 18 years old and free again."

^^ thats powerful

Really cool interview with Damien Echols from the West Memphis Three in the new issue of Revolver Magazine. I haven't been able to find a link to it yet, but I'm still looking.

Revolver: "What music have you been able to listen to? Do you still listen to metal and hard rock?"

Echols: "I'm not allowed to have CDs or an iPOD, so I'm stuck with whatever they play on mainstream radio now. Yeah, I still love metal, though. I think metal is the fountain of youth. It keeps you young. One of the local radio stations played the entire Chinese Democracy album by Guns N' Roses when it first came out, and I had tears on my face through the whole thing because of how magical it was. I heard Axl's voice, and it was like the past 17 years had never happened. For an hour or so I was 18 years old and free again."

Revolver: "You've collaborated with Pearl Jam and Michael Graves on music. Who would be your dream artist to work with?"

Echols: "Definitely Marilyn Manson. I love how he's constantly exploring new art forms and growing as an artist while refusing to let anyone define him. Rob Zombie is another one. He is an absolute genius. I'm also a huge fan of Nick Cave, both in literature and music, so to do anything with him would be pure magic. And Axl Rose, of course. There has never been a band that means as much to me as GN'R, no matter who else is in the lineup."

The rest of the interview is really good. Ya know, this is like the third or forth Revolver Mag in a row to mention Axl and GnR. Pretty cool.

FREE THE THREE!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, there is a good interview with slash in this issue. Talks briefly about Axl and Adler. and a nice poster of him and Lemmy.

Oh, wow that was so cool! Thanks for posting. I hope Axl gets this message in a nice way and add it to the pile of encouragement to keep his act going.

Weird, how he's in prison for murder, and he says his biggest influence is Marilyn Manson.

I wonder if he would ever tell the parole board that.

I don't know; If his favorite group was NWA, should he tell them that?

I had tears on my face through the whole thing because of how magical it was. I heard Axl's voice, and it was like the past 17 years had never happened. For an hour or so I was 18 years old and free again."

This is pretty much how i felt when i first heard Chinese Democracy.

Same here...

Damien Echols wasn't just a guy who wore black and listened to heavy metal music. Prior to the murders he spent time in a mental hospital were “extreme physical aggression towards others” was listed by his doctors as one of his problems. He was on disability due to his mental problems. He also hinted to a number of people and confessed to two of them that he was responsible for the murders before his arrest. Two different types of blood were found on a necklace he wore. Fiber evidence linked him to the murder. Before the murders took place he killed and mutilated a dog. The dog's skull was found by police in his bedroom after his arrest.

There are links here, if you want to read the actual testimony from the trial. Read for yourself and decide for yourself.

Edited by Takeshi

Damien Echols wasn't just a guy who wore black and listened to heavy metal music. Prior to the murders he spent time in a mental hospital were “extreme physical aggression towards others” was listed by his doctors as one of his problems. He was on disability due to his mental problems. He also hinted to a number of people and confessed to two of them that he was responsible for the murders before his arrest. Two different types of blood were found on a necklace he wore. Fiber evidence linked him to the murder. Before the murders took place he killed and mutilated a dog. The dog's skull was found by police in his bedroom after his arrest.

There are links here, if you want to read the actual testimony from the trial. Read for yourself and decide for yourself.

Well isn't that something...........I'm gonna start my own blog too and then maybe people will believe what I say too. I mean who the hell is this blogger guy?

Well isn't that something...........I'm gonna start my own blog too and then maybe people will believe what I say too. I mean who the hell is this blogger guy?

If you're going to be snarky, at least read a little more so you don't end up looking like an idiot. There are links in the blog to the actual evidence presented at the trial to back up the claims he makes.