Van Halen TOUR reports

Zint

This report is making the rounds on the net:

................................................................................

"First off, photos:

link

On Saturday night a friend of mine got me in to see a Van Halen rehearsal in Los Angeles. (I've been sworn to secrecy on certain aspects of this story, including location. Someone else may fill in the details, but it won't be me.)

We arrived to an empty arena (except for the VH staff) containing VH's full stage setup. No one from the band had arrived yet.

The stage has a runway which snakes out into the audience in a giant "S" shape, which mirrors the lighting rig above it. The "S" continues behind and above the stage so a band member can walk to the very top and be standing above Ed's rig. There's a giant video screen the width of the entire stage, but neither the screen nor the stage lights were tested tonight; only the house lights were used. (It didn't matter in the slightest.)

We arrived about an hour before the band while the crew fine-tuned the equipment. Drums were tested, guitars tuned, and pink noise blasted through the P.A. The general mood of everyone seemed very high with lots of smiles and friendly faces. Many people nodded to us and said, "hello."

Eddie was the first to arrive, and very shortly after that, Wolfgang and Alex. Valerie was with Wolf as were about five of his friends from school, I'm guessing. (They all looked the same age.) Alex and Ed spent about 15 minutes on stage noodling while Wolfie was showing his friends the venue. The three of them then met on stage and Eddie said into the P.A., "We're not opening with it, but let's play "I'm The One" just to warm up. And that they did. A funny moment occurred when Ed screwed up the bit right before they usually go acapella. He spoke into the mic, "Did I mess that up?" Wolf confirmed, "Yeah, you were late." Both were smiling.

After "I'm The One", there was a bit more noodling and then some down time as people waited for Dave. I'm not sure if he was running late or if that's just how the schedule was.

When Dave did show up, right from the start, he was all smiles. He was dressed in tight, flared out leather pants and a black/striped dress shirt.

The rest of the account is going to contain, for lack of a better word, "spoilers" of the show, including the set list, all though not in order. If you don't want to know, fair warning.

Dave addressed the crowd and treated us as if we were guests in his arena sized house. He thanked us for coming and talked about how excited he was to be here and what a "privilege and honor" it was to play with his "brutha's from another mutha." (And yes, that's a quote.) He then went on to great lengths to explain what we would be seeing tonight: that it was a rehearsal where they would be stopping and starting, testing things out, etc. (And he did this all very eloquently with many one-liners, as only Dave does.) Right before the band began, he explained, "Okay as soon as you hear the first note, that's when the curtain comes up." He did that throughout the show; stopping to tell us what we would be seeing if this were the actual concert. The constant commentary and casual asides reminded me of that story I've heard where at a concert he wanted to turn the P.A. around so that "everyone could be backstage." That's how this show felt. As if we were being let it on the secret.

The show started with "You Really Got Me." Dave was standing on the high part of the "S" stage above Alex waving a giant Red flag as the show began. Then he threw the flag down, and for the first time in over 22 years, David Lee Roth sang on stage with Eddie Van Halen.

I'd say there were only about 40-50 guests there that night who were lucky enough to get in. Most of us sat in the "5-star" section inside the loop of the "S" runway, but there wasn't even enough of us to fill it up. And there was a silly L.A.attitude amongst the crowd of" Oh-I'm-so-hip-I-don't-need-to-sit-in-the-front-row" thing going on, as if this event was an every day occurrence. (After the first song, I couldn't stay away, and moved from the 5th row to right up front, just off center towards Ed's side.) The stage setup has at least 8 speakers just for the people in the first few rows, so you don't have to worry about hearing only the echoey remnants of the main P.A. You'll get the full mix nice and loud.

But Holy God, bring earplugs.

Wolfgang did a fine job, even providing decent sounding backup vocals. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about him, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that Michael Anthony was missed. While Wolf competently filled the position, he doesn't have the same sound, either in his playing or in his voice, as Michael. It's such a shame that silly personal conflicts can't be resolved so that people can finally see the classic lineup again. I do have to say though, it's obvious how much Ed loves playing with Wolfgang. He would be all smiles when he walked over to Wolfie and after one song, stepped up to the P.A. and said, "Great job, Wolf. Great."

Over the next hour and a half or so the band played classic after classic that VH haven't done in years. The Sammy Hagar era is dead now, as far as I can tell. (All though when warming up, Eddie ran the VH-stripped drill across his guitar as if he was was starting "Poundcake", but no more than that.) I was surprised by some of the gems they brought out. I'll post the songs I remember at the end of the article, but the order will be completely wrong except for the first song and the encore.

The great thrill of the show was seeing Dave and Ed interact. If there's any animosity between them, it didn't show at all. Both were constantly smiling, and Dave often did the schtick where he holds his mic to Ed's guitar during a solo while he looks at the crowd, open mouthed in astonishment.

That's not to say that Dave didn't get pissed, however. He was standing out by the far tail of the "S" runway when, in the middle of a song, he yelled at the soundboard crew with intense anger, "TURN THE FUCKING VOCALS UP! Don't make me ask you again!" I turned to Ed to see his reaction, thinking he would be pissed at Dave's behavior, but incredibly, Ed just smiled even wider. As Dave walked past him returning to the stage, they did a mini-hi-five, low and behind each other's back. I don't know what it meant. I'm guessing it's one of those things that only makes sense to two people who have known each other for decades.

I never got to see Dave sing with Van Halen live. I got into the band in 1984 when I was 12 and didn't see them until the OU812 tour. I've seen Dave solo multiple times, but am always wonderfully caught off guard by his stage antics. He really is the clown prince of rock 'n' roll, and I say that with as much affection as I can. There's not a moment that goes by where he's not trying to entertain you, whether it be with silly facial expressions, dance moves, jokes, props or stories. He is the former 5 year old kid who ran up to every new adult and wanted to show them everything he owned and all the things he could do and wouldn't stop talking until his parents told him it was bed time. And that attitude has never quite gone away.

Thinking about the whole experience, I can't help but smile. I was going to write a few more details about the show, (like the brilliant way Dave introduces "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" or the intensity from Dave that makes "Mean Street" one of the great live VH songs) but I think it's probably better to let you all discover that for yourself.

Song list (again, not in order):"

YOU REALLY GOT ME

ROMEO DELIGHT

SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR

I'M THE ONE

MEAN STREET

UNCHAINED

PRETTY WOMAN (No "Intruder.")

DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY

ICE CREAM MAN

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS

GUITAR SOLO - NOT the solo of the 2004 tour. Includes everything you want

to hear: Eruption, Cathedreal, etc.

SO THIS IS LOVE?

AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK....

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!

SECRETS

I'LL WAIT

RUNNIN' WITH THE DEVIL

LITTLE GUITARS

JAMIE'S CRYIN'

ATOMIC PUNK

FEEL YOUR LOVE TONIGHT

LITTLE DREAMER

ON FIRE

PANAMA

HOT FOR TEACHER

AIN'T TALKIN' 'ABOUT LOVE

ENCORE:

JUMP

Edited by zint61

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wolfie is really fat he was way thinner in the 04 tour wasnt he

Yeah well,Michael Anthony carried around a few extra pounds himself....and wore shows that looked like bowling shoes.....and sang like a girl.

so what??

If Wolfie is cutting the mustard,that's all I care about.

I'd love to know how Dave's voice sounded as that's my biggest concern. Can't wait to fly out to Toronto for the Thanksgiving show.
Thinking about the whole experience, I can't help but smile. I was going to write a few more details about the show, (like the brilliant way Dave introduces "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" or the intensity from Dave that makes "Mean Street" one of the great live VH songs)

I get the impression it was pretty fucking good.

Judging from live concert experience concerning Dave and also youtube videos of him in the last couple years, I conclude that Dave can "bring it" when he wants to. It seems that sometimes he wants to and sometimes he doesn't. This tour, especially at the beginning, he's going to give it his all, no doubt. When Dave wants to sound great, he does, and he sounds as good or better than the albums. But sometimes I think Dave just goes through the motions and then he doesn't sound so good. But I know he'll give it 120% this tour.

wolfie is really fat he was way thinner in the 04 tour wasnt he

He's chunky, I guess he gets that from Valerie's side of the family.

I tell ya, if Ed is on top of his game, this could be a great show.

I need to remember to bring earplugs. I forgot in 2004 and I

couldn't hear shit for 2 days.

I'm still appauled what they are doing to Michael Anthony. I have no desire to see this disaster in the making. The tour won't even last more than a month tops.

Besides, the best VH lineup is Sammy, Mike, Alex, Eddie.

Van Hagar had some decent shit.

But the changeover from Dave to Sammy was like trading your Jack and Coke for a Diet Sprite.

If you can somehow forget about songs like "Why Can't This Be Love?," "When It's Love," "Can't Stop Lovin' You," "Love Walks In," (pretty much any VH song with "Love" in it besides "So This is Love?"), and "Dreams" then Sammy was alright. Occasionally, he was very good. But even then, he was nowhere close to the calibre of the mighty Diamond One. Dave is just in a whole other league. No doubt in my mind, David Lee Roth is the #1 frontman ever. Rock has never seen a better frontman and probably never will. But I'll give Sammy credit. When I saw the opening night of the Van Hagar reunion in 2004, Sammy was awesome. I was very impressed with him. Tons of crowd interaction and he was just happy and excited that night. I saw one of the only genuinely great shows of that 2004 tour.

They should make a Kool Aid bass guitar for Wolfie. Wolfie is a little porker, just like the Kool Aid guy, and he's not old enough to drink JD like Uncle Mikey. Wolfie is going to be as fat as the guys in BTO when he starts pounding the JD back in a few years.

yeah well...apparantly he's got what it takes to hold down the bottom end for one of the greatest rock bands of all time.....going on 17!

my hat's off to him

I dig and respect Sammy Hagar. He did a great job with Van Halen and I love all his Montrose/solo stuff pre-VH. Not to mention he's a cool fucking guy, in fact I think he is the 'current' Jimmy Buffet. When he comes to town, its a party, lets have some fun, nothing more/nothing less. Thats why Mike decided to tour with him during Van Halen's dormant period. Ed and Al really shouldn't trash talk about Mike but they have and they will.

That being said, Dave is the key ingredient for Van Halen, today. The 2004 tour with Sammy was bad, not because of Sam, but because Ed was fucked up. Now that Diamond Dave is back, lets hope everything goes well. The setlist of classic Van Halen tunes is just what we Van Halen fans need, and only 2 keyboard songs(Jump,I'll Wait). I'm still worried about Ed's health, he isn't apparently because after getting part of his tounge chopped off due to cancer, he continued to smoke,drink, etc..

I tell ya, Ed needs to eat something, he is as skinny as Nicole Richey after pigging out on burritos. I hope he can make it. Ed, please eat something, steal some of Wolfie's food and lay off the coke/meth for a year.

and yet I get totally encouraged when I read stuff like this :

Yesterday morning's Mark & Brian Show (KLOS - Los Angeles) talked with Kelly Cox (KLOS DJ) who was at the Rehearsals. She confirmed that she was one of maybe 40-50 people there and that Van Halen sounds SMOKIN !! Mark & Brian asked her if the sound is any different w/Wolfie on board? Kelly said "NO." She, then went on to say that Wolfie does his background vocals and bringing his own thing to the mix and even though Michael Anthony will be missed, the band sounds incredible.

She said the highlight was watching the Dave & Ed chemistry. There was alot of smiling between the two and they DO sound better than ever!

Another confirmation of the Rehearsals sounding BAD ASS!!

As much as it sucks with MA being the 1 missing original, can't blame the kid for that. I'd bet anything when his dad initially asked him to do it, Wolfie probably expressed sincere reservations and suggested they use Mike. Think about if--Wolfie knows most VH diehards would prefer all original members, includiing Mike, for a reunion . And didn't he state before he wasn't sure if he was ready for a huge tour like this?

So don't take it out on the kid who's been put in this enormous, pressure-cooker of a situation and is just tryin' to do his best. You know Eddie is the one who pushed it on him...

Edited by Turn_It_Up