nuZeppelin...ala nuGnR

Zint

I had this question posed to me tonight...so I thought I'd run it past you guys.

"I wonder how fans would have reacted if Led Zeppelin at the 02 arena had consisted of Robert Plant on stage with 3 virtually unknown guitarists,a substitute bass player,a drummer that no one had ever heard of...and two filler keyboard players.Would they have accepted it for the sake of the songs,turned a blind eye (for the nostalgia factor) because the original singer was there...or would there have been bloody hell to pay?"

I found it an interesting notion to ponder...considering so many are willing to let Axl do it (or as some say...get away with it).

thoughts?

It would have been sold out but atleast half of the audience would be saying how it's not Led Zeppelin(, which it obviously wouldn't be).. Pretty much the same thing as with nuGN'R but in bigger (Led Zeppelin) propositions, the shit from the press would have been bigger etc.

As far as I'm concerned, Gilmour and co going around as Floyd without Waters was difficult to accept, but I still got the albums and saw a few shows

Same thing happened for me,the records weren't quite the same,and the shows were more about the glory days.It was cool enough,but a bit "off" somehow.

In fact...I enjoyed the last Water's tour more.

Now that I think of it...I think I would have been more willing to accept Roger's version of Pink Floyd (had he decided to do that,instead of billing himself as a solo act).

So with that in mind,does it require a key original member for people to have blind faith in a band like nuGnR?

How many people would have gone to to a nuGnR show if it was Slash with nine people no one knew?

Is it the celebrity of Axl Rose that we are acknowledging through nuGnR,moreso than the band Guns N Roses?

Even so,I still don't think people would have bought Robert Plant up there with a guy from Duran Duran,a guy from Jane's Addiction,a drummer from the Cult and a few keyboard players to pad things out...as Led Zeppelin.

Edited by zint61

Even so,I still don't think people would have bought Robert Plant up there with a guy from Duran Duran,a guy from Jane's Addiction,a drummer from the Cult and a few keyboard players to pad things out...as Led Zeppelin.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

You ain't kidding....

It might be a differernt story if Axl released CD and didn't play a mainly Appetite and Illusion set.

This is very true. I understand why they play a mainly old-Gnr set ( $$$$ ) , but if Axl wanted this incarnation to be taken seriously, he not only should have released this album 5 years ago, he should have toured and played the NEW material almost exclusively so that people got a CLEAR message that this was a new group and it should be respected for what it has actually accomplished.

I just get the feeling with some people that they somehow consider Axl to be the engine of GNR and that's why it works. I must admit I feel the same way. Well, it's that and my fascination at watching the whole saga unfold.

I think it's mainly partial reason because he is the vocalist.

Even though it's not Slash ripping a Nightrain solo with Axl's voice some including me are able to accept the fact that the one's playing aren't the original but I guess were just used to it.

I had this question posed to me tonight...so I thought I'd run it past you guys.

"I wonder how fans would have reacted if Led Zeppelin at the 02 arena had consisted of Robert Plant on stage with 3 virtually unknown guitarists,a substitute bass player,a drummer that no one had ever heard of...and two filler keyboard players.Would they have accepted it for the sake of the songs,turned a blind eye (for the nostalgia factor) because the original singer was there...or would there have been bloody hell to pay?"

I found it an interesting notion to ponder...considering so many are willing to let Axl do it (or as some say...get away with it).

thoughts?

When Page & Plant toured in the mid 90's I along with everyone else that went to see them said they were going to see Zeppelin. I think that having Page onstage with Plant solidified them as Zeppelin in many people's eyes. Plant alone wouldn't do it for me.

I think it would be the same exact thing with Guns N' Roses.....if Slash was still in the band, I think that the majority of the fans, along with the general public, wouldn't have a problem calling them Guns N' Roses.....of course the diehards would say different.

Rock bands are rated primarily by their lead singer and lead guitarists and those two usually make up the image of the band in people's minds....and I feel that Guns N' Roses is no different.

thoughts?

When Page & Plant toured in the mid 90's I along with everyone else that went to see them said they were going to see Zeppelin. I think that having Page onstage with Plant solidified them as Zeppelin in many people's eyes. Plant alone wouldn't do it for me.

I think it would be the same exact thing with Guns N' Roses.....if Slash was still in the band, I think that the majority of the fans, along with the general public, wouldn't have a problem calling them Guns N' Roses.....of course the diehards would say different.

Rock bands are rated primarily by their lead singer and lead guitarists and those two usually make up the image of the band in people's minds....and I feel that Guns N' Roses is no different.

That's pretty much what i was going to say.

it's just a matter of realizing that it's not the original and it never will be, but it's still pretty good. And to his credit, Axl came back with a pretty strong lineup, although it has weakened a bit with Buckethead and Brain's departure, but it's still pretty strong.

David Coverdale made it work too, he's got the Whitesnake name, always has and always will. And no matter what lineup he puts together, you can bet your ass it's gonna rock.

But in cases like that, it's no longer really a "band". It's the singer and whoever he brings along on any given tour.

Same goes for Alice Cooper these days, as opposed to the Alice Cooper Group of the 70s.