Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched About a Son

Its really neat. A neat little portrait of the guy (Kurt Cobain). I'm an absolute Kurt Cobain fanatic at least in the literary and musical sense. A really...i dunno, its easy to make some kinda overblown thing about him and make him out to be the second coming of Christ but really he was just like anybody, just like Axl or Gandhi (love how them two made it into the same sentence :lol:) or Chuck Wepner or Sir Walter Raleigh. Just a person. Contradictory, insecure, sincere at times, sarcastic at others, hurt, stubborn, goofy...i dunno, this is a lame description but...i dunno, people look at these sort of in depth portraits of a person and use their foibles to say well, okay, he was just this, this and this and then others are blinded by their virtues and build them up to be these saintly figures but the truth is theres a little piece of all of us reflected in the human condition and (to me at least) i think anybodys life would be interesting when held up to this degree of scrutiny.

I think a lot of Kurt Cobain, i think he had more to say than he thought. As stupid as this may sound i dont really give a fuck but...i assimilated a lot, just from being a child and his being one of the few people that i idolised for want of a better way of putting it, things like "i dont want homophobes, racists or people that hate women to buy my albums". Thats not to say necessarily that i needed a rockstar to show me how to live...its more a case of something in mass culture initiating a thought process in your mind that previously had never occured i.e. the first scrutinises of certain acts/actions of yours and beliefs although not exclusively or even necessarily beliefs.

Its a commonly held thought that racists or homophobes or sexists are just flat out bad but it goes a lot deeper than that i think. I can honestly say i've never really believed in any kind of racism or sexism or predudice but at the same time i've said racist things in my life lots of times as well as homophobic and sexist. It was just...it was never considered or thought out as a kid, it was just a way of making fun of somebody, a schoolyard 5/6/7/8 grade way of teasing somebody, you just pick on whatevers obvious, red hair or a lazy eye or if someones a bit tubby. All this while i listened to Nirvana and...just listened to them on a purely "wow, this sounds cool" level but then the older you get you kinda read and hear stuff and theres all this like...really decent ideology behind it that kinda makes you stop and go "OK wow, i do that shit, i say that shit, i shouldn't its wrong, i know its wrong but i do it anyway". Its a little too neat to say that Kurt Cobain waved his magic wand and suddenly you stop being (or saying rather, i was never actually predudiced against any different color of people or gay people) racist or sexist or homophobic but i can clearly remember it as one of the first little whispers of like...OK, you actually shouldn't be doing this cuz its wrong. And then as you get older you learn in school or through TV/culture (if the two have anything to do with each other) or literature or whatever that like...y'know, you got civil rights movement and nelson mandela and the gay rights movement and all these things and you figure out...or rather begin to think about these things and kinda...develop a character of your own.

Its a funny thing now, when i really think about it but it was one of the first kinda...moral whispers that gave me an idea about the world and the way it is. One of many hundreds i think...but an important one, an essential one. Its never as neat (or its never been for me) as "and from there on in, my life was changed forever" y'know...but i think you can identify, if you scrutinise, certain influences in your ways of thinking and i wouldn't be far wrong in saying that Kurt Cobain has/did have some kind of influence on me. Exactly what kind and to what degree and whether it was positive or negative i guess i cant really say. Its almost absurd to me and also quite sad that, OK, i'm a child of this country and it took Kurt Cobain to say this shit for me to then apply considerations to it.

I know its very un-the-thing-to-do and a lot of people act like they came out of the womb knowing that racism sexism or homophobia is wrong but the truth is...we learn from the world around us (look at me squirming to defend myself :lol:) yeah, i guess i learned a couple of things from that guy.

By that token i guess its almost impossible for me to impartially judge About A Son because the man and the music have meant so much to me. Just great to hear him talk and the things he had to say.

Edited by dirtylenny

After tonight's repeat viewing, Rent's cult following is still a complete mystery to me, to be honest. I would have understood if it had been tongue-in-cheek and Rocky Horror-ish, or genuinely clever and witty like Hedwig and The Angry Inch, but it's neither; it's just, kind of... there. :mellow:

After tonight's repeat viewing, Rent's cult following is still a complete mystery to me, to be honest. I would have understood if it had been tongue-in-cheek and Rocky Horror-ish, or genuinely clever and witty like Hedwig and The Angry Inch, but it's neither; it's just, kind of... there. :mellow:

The film has a cult following!? I'm mystified enough by the show's cult following. Rosario Dawson's performance is kind of breathtaking, though. If only it had been better served.

Edited by Angelica

The other day I saw this movie called "This Is England" which is about this young lad who befriends a group of skinheads. Everything is all fine and dandy until an old school skin head who was imprisoned comes back to town. He pretty much tries to brainwash everyone into believing his Nationalist ideologies and such. Some of the original kids leave and the group goes to hell. It's like a coming of age story for the boy. Very good movie.

The other day I saw this movie called "This Is England" which is about this young lad who befriends a group of skinheads. Everything is all fine and dandy until an old school skin head who was imprisoned comes back to town. He pretty much tries to brainwash everyone into believing his Nationalist ideologies and such. Some of the original kids leave and the group goes to hell. It's like a coming of age story for the boy. Very good movie.

Excellent film, I saw it at the cinema and bought it the day it came out.

I personally enjoyed the Broadway show much better. It was an amazing play really, with a great soundtrack. The movie was lackluster in comparison and I was disappointed as well when I had seen it.

I love movies that are open to your own interpretation. Take "2001: A Space Odyssey" for example. To be perfectly honest, I had no idea what it was about for the first hour or so. It was after I watched the movie that I actually took a moment to think about it. What if there really was some deity from outer space that was responsible for our own evolution? That's how I saw it anyway... It's an interesting concept, I think. The visual effects were also out of this world for the time it was made. Crazy lights and stuff. Trippy.

Stanley Kubrick knows how to make a good movie, that's for true. :book:

I love movies that are open to your own interpretation. Take "2001: A Space Odyssey" for example. To be perfectly honest, I had no idea what it was about for the first hour or so. It was after I watched the movie that I actually took a moment to think about it. What if there really was some deity from outer space that was responsible for our own evolution? That's how I saw it anyway... It's an interesting concept, I think. The visual effects were also out of this world for the time it was made. Crazy lights and stuff. Trippy.

I still have no idea what it is about :huh:

I still have no idea what it is about :huh:

The discovery of extraterrestrial life and its subsequent effect on mankind? :shrugs:

I'm still amazed at 2001: A Space Odyssey no matter how many times I see it. It's so way ahead of its time, it's incredible that it was made as early as 1968. It was the first film I bought on blu-ray, and I recommend everyone to see the blu-ray version.

I'm still amazed at 2001: A Space Odyssey no matter how many times I see it. It's so way ahead of its time, it's incredible that it was made as early as 1968. It was the first film I bought on blu-ray, and I recommend everyone to see the blu-ray version.

Agreed. But my favourite is A clockwork orange.