The Rolling Stones

Randy Lahey

Who else's favorite band is The Stones? It's ridiculous how many good songs these guys have. The Mick Taylor era of The Stones is my favorite era and I wish he was still in the band. While Ronnie has the right look, he doesn't have the chops that Taylor has. Moonlight Mile and Time Waits For No One have some of the best guitar playing ever laid down on vinyl, in my opinion.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stones and Beatles equally for me...

I prefer Rock bands to pop bands.

Whatever label you want to slap on them,they are still my favs.

I could list Beatles songs that rock...and I could list Stones songs that are pop.

There are a bunch of rockers on the White Album. "Helter Skelter" and "Back in the U.S.S.R." for example. And some of their early covers like "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Twist and Shout" are pure rock n' roll.

I personally prefer the Stones as most on a GN'R forum probably will simply because they're closer in style/content to GN'R, however The Beatles are undeniably wonderful and definitely up there on my list of favourites. I can listen to "Sgt. Pepper" endlessly...probably one of the most flawless albums ever made.

I'll say this, though - the Stones have some awesome underrated songs - Let It Loose and Dead Flowers are two of my very favourites that somehow didn't wind up on Forty Licks...

If you view my last.fm page you'll see The Rolling Stones are always somewhere in/near the top five.

Edited by Estranged Reality

There are a bunch of rockers on the White Album. "Helter Skelter" and "Back in the U.S.S.R." for example. And some of their early covers like "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Twist and Shout" are pure rock n' roll.

I personally prefer the Stones as most on a GN'R forum probably will simply because they're closer in style/content to GN'R, however The Beatles are undeniably wonderful and definitely up there on my list of favourites. I can listen to "Sgt. Pepper" endlessly...probably one of the most flawless albums ever made.

I'll say this, though - the Stones have some awesome underrated songs - Let It Loose and Dead Flowers are two of my very favourites that somehow didn't wind up on Forty Licks...

Jigsaw Puzzle and Parachute Woman probably arent on 40 Licks. Don't Stop was great.

Bridges to Babylon was a return to form and Bigger Bang is a focused Stones album, like Undercover-style album, lots of rockers.

Rough Justice and Rain Fall Down, she Saw Me Coming are great. I like that whole album, it's full of surprises really.

It Won't Take Long is classic Stones on Bigger Bang. It's still the band they always were, it's taken the more commercial side and mixed it with Exile type songs.

Infamy is cool little song.

A Bigger Bang was their best album in years.

Of course, it goes without saying it's not a patch on most of the older stuff... but it was a great deal better than the '80s stuff.

Saint of Me is the best Stones song since the 80's, in my opinion. What's your guys favorite Stones album? Sticky Fingers is my pick despite the fact that I don't really like Brown Sugar all that much.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Saint of Me is the best Stones song since the 80's, in my opinion. What's your guys favorite Stones album? Sticky Fingers is my pick despite the fact that I don't really like Brown Sugar all that much.

Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed and Exile On Mainstream are the holy trinity. I must say, too, that as far as compilations go, despite a couple tracks I'd remove in place of others, Forty Licks is probably one of the very best "best-of" albums ever made - it's not like they're just sloppily assembling a greatest hits to me; that album really has a good flow and seems pieced together perfectly. I play it all the time because it has most of my favourites all in once place.

Let It Bleed was always my favorite old one. Gimme Shelter, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Live With Me, Monkey Man, Midnight Rambler, Love in Vain and obviosuly Let It Bleed favorite Stones song.

1. Gimme Shelter

2. Love In Vain

3. Country Honk

4. Live With Me

5. Let It Bleed

6. Midnight Rambler

7. You Got The Silver

8. Monkey Man

9. You Can't Always Get What You Want

I always liked Lowdown on BB, that and Already Over Me - but whole album is pretty tight.

Edited by wasted

Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed and Exile On Mainstream are the holy trinity. I must say, too, that as far as compilations go, despite a couple tracks I'd remove in place of others, Forty Licks is probably one of the very best "best-of" albums ever made - it's not like they're just sloppily assembling a greatest hits to me; that album really has a good flow and seems pieced together perfectly. I play it all the time because it has most of my favourites all in once place.

ER, you're forgetting Beggars Banquet. Some Girls is a great album too.

The unholy trinity for me is Some Girls, Black and Blue, Undercover. Those homeless guy Stones records are overrated. After they discovered disco they really took off.

Never got Her Satanic Majesty Request of Goats Head Soup. There's still time!

I had Hot Rocks compilations so covered some of the songs.

Tattoo You is next on my list.

You're Driving Too Fast!!!

Bill Wyman's solos albums are worth checking out.

Edited by wasted

True, dat.

Sympathy for the Devil is my favourite Stones song, although Gimme Shelter ... ah, fuck, yeah, that one is tied with Sympathy actually.

That's what Best of Compilations are for!

Can't wait for the GNR best of...

Reckless Life

It's So Easy

Nightrain

Out Ta Get Me

Move To The City

Used To Love Her

Sorry off topic.

Flashback was a tight GH from the Stones. It really got me into the Glimmer Twins era. Harlem Shuffle all that. Mixed Emotions.

The Raities cd was a misnomer its more like a Greatest Hits remixed and honed for 2000. Great album, like updated Stones.

Never got Her Satanic Majesty Request of Goats Head Soup. There's still time!

I had Hot Rocks compilations so covered some of the songs.

Tattoo You is next on my list.

You're Driving Too Fast!!!

Bill Wyman's solos albums are worth checking out.

Their Sataic Majesties Request only has about 4 good songs on it. These songs are Citadel, In Another Land, She's A Rainbow, and 2000 Light Years From Home. If you don't have 2000 Light Years From Home then you must buy this album. This song is the best tune of the psychedelic era. http://youtube.com/watch?v=tIGdWzXhqlo

Goats Head Soup is just a great freaking album that every Stones fan should own.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Yup, I've got 2000 Light Years on Hot Rocks Fazed Cookies. I shood have GHS.

GOATS HEAD SOUP found the Rolling Stones jetting down to Jamaica in 1973 and tweaking their rebellious image with a bit of voodoo imagery. Kicking things off with "Dancing With Mr. D"., the Stones picked up the thread of "Sympathy For The Devil" and gilded their already hedonistic reputation with some Satanic allusions. References to Beezelbub aside, SOUP offered up some of the Stones' more heartfelt ballads including "Winter", "Coming Down Again", and the lilting, minor-key classic "Angie".

That's what I'm talking about.

How can ya not like brown suger man?

Love the fukin stones, cant pik a fav album, its a toss up between, exile and let it bleed, but then i gotta mention sticky fingers and goats head soup and aftermath and between the buttons and, fuck u could go on all day.