Bands with 1 good album

pain cake

Picked up the Stone Roses' 2nd Coming and I feel so disillusioned, the first album had some of the most original, creative, rockin' music that I have ever heard and the 2nd one is absolute twat. It sounds like they'd been listening to Led Zeppelin for not only instrumental ideas, but also for their ability to write shitty songs. The Libertines were also equally disappointing after the masterpiece that is Up the Bracket, they brought out an absolute mess of a self title album. Just venting frustration I guess, who else would like to? :)

I prefered 2nd Coming. But I know what you mean. The Strokes did Is This It. They are still cool, but the first one is killer after that it's a bit similiar but not as good.

Most bands do a great record then do a few bad ones and then try to recapture it.

U2 have two Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby! - that's why they so big.

I agree, the first Stone Roses album was awesome, but the second was a disappointment. Weren't there like 5 years in between the two albums?

I also prefer the first album by The God Machine "Scenes from the Second Storey", however the second one "One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying" received "better" critical reviews I think.

And I think Aerosmith could have only done "Toys In The Attic" - and although not their first, it's one of the best albums ever IMHO - I would have been content with only that one. lol. :-)

The Strokes did Is This It. They are still cool, but the first one is killer after that it's a bit similiar but not as good.

I think all the Strokes albums are masterpieces, I personally prefer First Impressions of Earth. And if you listen to it, it's vastly different to their first 2 albums.

And I was gonna mention Aerosmith, I think their self titled debut is where it's fucking at, and the rest is quite shite.

Edited by pain cake

The first Stone Roses album was mainly written by Ian Brown and the second by Squire, thats why they're quite different and the 2nd obviously more Led Zep orientated. I think the second coming has it's moments but I prefer the first by a mile.

One of my mates said he heard a theory that each member was going to have like, "their" album, so after the second album, Mani and Reni were going to have their own respective albums. If that's true, I would have loved to have heard what those two albums would have sounded like. Mani being, well, Mani and Reni being an incredibly underrated drummer as well as a general musician. Mani once said that Reni could "piss all over him" on bass for example.

I also agree about the Libertines comparison but to a lesser extent. Just annoys me that they had so many quality outtake songs and they stuffed up the second with so much filler.

The Cult - Sonic Temple

Not that The Cult isn't great, but their sound & formula was so largely inconsistent the Doors-ish "Dreamtime", to the pop-ey "Love", to the AC/DC-ish "Electric".

The band has a ton of great songs, but the one true album that is stellar from start to finish with no waivering, and really in alot of ways has defined their legacy is the unique Sonic Temple.

Oh boy...I feel compelled to respond to that one Axlin08, The Cult is one of my all time favorite bands.

Sonic Temple has it's moments for me (Automatic Blues, Sun King, Sweet Soul Sister) but I can't listen to it without hearing The Cult totally sell out to eighties stadium rock. It's a total cliche in every sense of the word (I can't even watch the videos) and was the begining of the end for them in terms of musical quality. Maybe it's the production of Bob Cock (Rock) that makes it sound like such an eighties relic, but it's overblown and pretentious.

Love is my favorite Cult album, followed by Electric and so on and so forth. I'm aware of how schizophrenic their sound got, but for me the Psychedelic altern of Love is what I attribute to be them at their purest.

Shame on you for saying they have one good album! :devil:

The Cult - Sonic Temple

Not that The Cult isn't great, but their sound & formula was so largely inconsistent the Doors-ish "Dreamtime", to the pop-ey "Love", to the AC/DC-ish "Electric".

The band has a ton of great songs, but the one true album that is stellar from start to finish with no waivering, and really in alot of ways has defined their legacy is the unique Sonic Temple.

I have to disagree mate.

The Cult had three solid albums - Love, Electric and Sonic Temple - that all differed musically but all had really strong songs. Each album also had a bit of filler. I think Love is probably the best.

The Cult - Sonic Temple

I have to disagree mate.

The Cult had three solid albums - Love, Electric and Sonic Temple - that all differed musically but all had really strong songs. Each album also had a bit of filler.

Like the Born To Be Wild cover.

Man does that version bite or what.

The Strokes did Is This It. They are still cool, but the first one is killer after that it's a bit similiar but not as good.

I think all the Strokes albums are masterpieces, I personally prefer First Impressions of Earth. And if you listen to it, it's vastly different to their first 2 albums.

And I was gonna mention Aerosmith, I think their self titled debut is where it's fucking at, and the rest is quite shite.

Rocks and Pump are awesome. I actually bought both of those Aerosmith Live Greatest Hits albums.

I don't know, I'm talking stone cold classic - Is This It is undenyable - where's as the new Strokes are good, even great, I don't know...I think they arent a one album band.

Very few

Sex Pistols obviously - Although the Swindle is amazing album.

I'm thinking more of bands with one album that is killer.

Girls, girls, girls by Motely Crue is pretty untouchable.

I can't see how you can't like the songs on 2nd Coming, like Tightrope, Driving South, How Do You Sleep...I wasnt a big fan of the Stone Roses so to me its like a great rock album.

It's a pretty great album if you ask me.

I prefer the stone roses 2nd coming,the 1st album was a joint effect between squire and brown. both are f*cking brilliant tho.

1 Great album bands mmmm........The libertines defo, Nirvana, franz ferdinand, the strokes, sex pistols, jay z (face it only the Blue Print is worth a listen) Cream, James brown (Live at the apollo), the darkness, the clash (london's burning), Ian brown (music of the spheres) the prodigy, Jeff buckley (sadly),