Nine Inch Nails: The Slip

Rebel Yell

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it was released to prove a point to a certain someone...

And with about 80% of the songs being total shit, it ironically proves the exact opposite

Truth. Let's face it, CD is taking its time and could be a shitty record for all we know, but spewing out song after song with the majority of them being trash isn't exactly a redeeming quality for a band.

There's just nothing to this. It's strange. People want new music, but getting so much at once is really not helping either. YZ and Ghosts were steps in the right direction, but to have another new album so fast with these kinds of songs? Blah, I'd rather see Trent take a break.

"nin sucks, the album was rushed, im glad it was free"

pearls before swine? only pigs would bitch about a free album from a mainstream artist that continually evolves in style and fights for the rights of fans.

although, since most GnR fans are either too drunk to download something or still tweaking from a seven-month crack binge in 1985, do whatever makes you feel better.

First off congrats to Robin Finck for not taking over a decade to be part of a product that's only form isn't a 160kbps MP3 leak.

Also major congrats to Trent Reznor for not staying back in the jurassic period with the rest of the music industry and showing that creativity can go hand in hand with new technology. You also get bonus points for showing your appreciation towards your fans unlike...well most of the music industry but I was also thinking of someone in particular here.

I'm not really a Nine Inch Nails fan. There are a few Nine Inch Nails songs I like but for some reason I never looked into their catalog minus the songs that usually get airplay. I'm going to listen to this album and see how I like it and from there might take a look at some older works I never got around to. Musicians could and should learn a thing or two from Trent Reznor.

Defiantly a grower.

When I first listened to it I thought it was ok. That's odd, since I usually really enjoy new NIN releases.

Upon listening to it again, (and again), it's starting to become one of my favorite NIN cd's.

Nothing will ever touch the Fragile, though. Or Broken.

I WOULD NEVER PAY FOR A NIN RECORD AND I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER THAN TO DOWNLOAD A FREE ONE...

So if you hate them so much, why waste your time going to their site, downloading it and listening to it, assuming you even bothered listening to it. My money goes on you not even hearing it and just using these forums to mouth off and impress people with your angst.

<-- Not impressed.

GOD forbid I give an old band a second chance ..................

I WOULD NEVER PAY FOR A NIN RECORD AND I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER THAN TO DOWNLOAD A FREE ONE...

So if you hate them so much, why waste your time going to their site, downloading it and listening to it, assuming you even bothered listening to it. My money goes on you not even hearing it and just using these forums to mouth off and impress people with your angst.

<-- Not impressed.

old? chance? neither apply.

Even if you don't like the album, if your a NIN fan, it's hard to complain. He gave us an album for free as a thank you for supporting him. He has a fan base that would easily pay $10 just to hear what the new album sounds like, and even if they didn't like it, be ready and willing to spend another $10 on the next one. If you don't like NIN or the album, fine, but it's hard to complain, really, just say it isn't your thing and move on.

<-- Not impressed.

Stating "I WOULD NEVER PAY FOR A NIN RECORD" is not giving them a second chance. You had damned them before you even gave the record a listen. Besides their last album, Year Zero, was an incredible CD. Hardly are they an old band. At least they are putting out new music that isn't leaks. But you're not used to artists who actually care for their fans are you? :fuckyou:

<-- Not impressed.

Stating "I WOULD NEVER PAY FOR A NIN RECORD" is not giving them a second chance. You had damned them before you even gave the record a listen. Besides their last album, Year Zero, was an incredible CD. Hardly are they an old band. At least they are putting out new music that isn't leaks. But you're not used to artists who actually care for their fans are you? :fuckyou:

true. year zero was a great, inspired album with an interesing concept that in my opinion, was better than with teeth.

but recently, I get the feeling trent is being trigger happy with his releases and as a result, the quality of his musical catalog is suffering.

in addition, I don't understand why robin would want to play guitar in the background of the songs and not share a vision playing a central

role in the making of something really special as he did in guns. seems like he grew tired of waiting, but isn't the pay off worth it?

Edited by Rovim

Yeah this is not a particularly inspired release, but there are a couple strong tracks and it's great to hear that Trent is moving in a more band-oriented direction.

isnt this like the 3rd album in 3 years? a bit different to gnr I think.

yup, the 3rd crappy album in the 3 years.

um no

Year Zero is a great album, Ghosts is alright, but it wasnt meant to be a mindblowing, and The Slip is pretty good...i listened to it a 2nd time and it's grown on me

all in all, it's 3 albums in 3 years, not matter how you look at it...what has Axl done in those 3 years?

isnt this like the 3rd album in 3 years? a bit different to gnr I think.

yup, the 3rd crappy album in the 3 years.

um no

Year Zero is a great album, Ghosts is alright, but it wasnt meant to be a mindblowing, and The Slip is pretty good...i listened to it a 2nd time and it's grown on me

all in all, it's 3 albums in 3 years, not matter how you look at it...what has Axl done in those 3 years?

It's 3 albums in 1 year. Year Zero came out last May. Counting With Teeth, it's four albums in three years.

I gotta say, I'm liking this album. I do have one question though. The album version of Discipline cuts off at 4:19 and goes right into Echoplex. Is that supposed to happen? I only ask because the version of Discipline from a couple weeks ago is 4:31 and doesn't just abrubtly stop at the end. Has this been mentioned yet? Anyone know?

I gotta say, I'm liking this album. I do have one question though. The album version of Discipline cuts off at 4:19 and goes right into Echoplex. Is that supposed to happen? I only ask because the version of Discipline from a couple weeks ago is 4:31 and doesn't just abrubtly stop at the end. Has this been mentioned yet? Anyone know?
I thought that was odd too, but I downloaded a the multi track version and it's 5:02. :huh:

I thought that was odd too, but I downloaded a the multi track version and it's 5:02. :huh:

You'll have to excuse me, I'm a little slow when it comes to all these downloads. LOL What exactly are the multi track versions, and how can I get them?

You'll have to excuse me, I'm a little slow when it comes to all these downloads. LOL What exactly are the multi track versions, and how can I get them?

At remix.nin.com you can download the multi-track's to all the songs on The Slip (I think).

Aka it's the song split up. There's a different sound file for Trent's voice, the bass, the drums, etc.