weiland fucking up stp already...

gunsnmotley

Review just out from NY Times:

Music Review | Stone Temple Pilots

Lead Singer Back in the Fold, Not Back From the Edge

By NATE CHINEN

Published: June 2, 2008

HOLMDEL, N.J. — Scott Weiland, the lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots, had just a few words for the crowd at the PNC Bank Arts Center on Saturday night, and that was probably a good thing. Two weeks into this post-grunge band’s reunion tour, he seemed bedraggled and bushed, like a scarecrow. His first comments were barely coherent, and what came next was dispiriting. “Sometimes you make crazy choices,” he said, in a distinctly undefiant tone.

The evening was billed as 92.3 K-ROCK’s Return of the Rock, with opening sets by the alternative-rock bands Filter and Ashes Divide. Stone Temple Pilots finally appeared more than an hour after Filter, and there were boos mixed in with the cheers. Mr. Weiland noted that this was a hometown show for half of the band, the brothers Robert and Dean DeLeo, who play bass and guitar. “I apologize for ...” he started to add.

“Apology accepted, brother,” Robert DeLeo said quickly, changing the subject and hustling on with the show. There would be time for contrition later: the tour is running through the rest of the summer, provided Mr. Weiland can hold it together that long.

That may sound callous, but it has to be a genuine concern for the band. Mr. Weiland’s drug problems were public knowledge well before Stone Temple Pilots broke up in 2003, and they apparently haven’t abated. A couple of months ago he was cut loose from Velvet Revolver, a hard-rock supergroup with some former members of Guns N’ Roses; Slash, that band’s lead guitarist, placed the blame on Mr. Weiland’s “increasingly erratic onstage behavior and personal problems.” (This coming from someone whose behavioral standard for a frontman was established by Axl Rose.)

However acrimonious the Velvet Revolver split, it freed Mr. Weiland to regroup with the DeLeo brothers, and the drummer Eric Kretz. Stone Temple Pilots fans rejoiced, if perhaps a bit warily. There was just one piece of unfinished business before the new tour: in late April Mr. Weiland was ordered to serve an eight-day jail sentence for his arrest last year on charges of driving under the influence, his second conviction on those charges.

Sometimes you make crazy choices. And judging by this show, the decision to tour right now may be one of them. It’s anyone’s guess whether Mr. Weiland was the cause for the long delay before the group hit the stage. It’s just as unclear whether that delay was on his mind as he sang a slow-drag opener, “Big Empty,” which includes the line “Time to wait too long.”

The show got better, but not by much. Stone Temple Pilots was always a riff-driven band with an impressive low-end churn, and a handful of its songs are exceptionally sturdy. So it made sense that the crowd carried the choruses of “Plush” and “Dead and Bloated,” and that the band nailed a handful of its other 1990s staples, like “Interstate Love Song” and “Vaseline.” But the feeling imparted by these performances was desultory and joyless. The band never rose above a sort of grim competence.

It was the same with Mr. Weiland. While he expertly struck the image of a rock star — strutting and preening, and shedding his white jacket and T-shirt to reveal a sinewy torso — his voice sounded less flexible than usual, and he sometimes seemed nearly out of breath. He forgot some lyrics and flubbed others, and often used a megaphone as a prop, or perhaps a crutch.

Of course, there remains hope for the tour, and for Mr. Weiland’s well-being. “I’m not dead and I’m not for sale,” he sang in the chorus to “Trippin’ on a Hole in a Paper Heart.” His band mates are among those who should care that at least one of those statements remains true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/02/arts/mus....html?ref=music

Edited by Turn_It_Up

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To his credit, he's the type of guy that seems to care incredibly for his family, especially the kids

Especially the kids??

Responsible parents who especially care about the kids aren't stumbling and staggering around like they just came off a twelve day bender...with Pete Doherty.

They leave that shit behind for the kids...regardless of profession.

Sorry but...I don't want to go through the you don't know what addiction's like,I pray he gets better posts yet again.

He's being a middle aged brat on a cliche rock star bender.

He knows better and yet has chosen to...um...get his name in the headlines??...no...he doesn't need to do that...he's sold millions of records...well then,I guess,be a brat and go on a cliche rock star bender.

He's always wanted to be a Rolling Stone,imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Yeah I hope he gets better and all that,just like all the other times we go through this...whatever.

But fuck man...there's no excuse at this point...none.

He was handed his band back on a silver platter and he's pissing it away.

I know there's lots of Dr. Feelgoods here who are going to defend him because they really want to see the tour and want it to kick ass...but comparing him to Morrison??

Morisson was living an accepted norm of the times,trendy rehabs weren't on the menu.

Morrison wore it like a badge of honour and pushed it to see how far a human body could take it...well we got the answer.

Was it meant to be a lesson to be learned from??

Well time has proven time and again that indeed it was...but 37 years later still aping the prototype is pretty fucking stupid.

Taking it to the edge is a part of being a Rock N' Roll Star. Take a look at your cd collection and count the number of albums that you have from junkies. Scott is a junkie but he's also a survivor. Sober people make for lousy artists. I have no doubt that Scott will be kicking ass by the time I see him in August.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Taking it to the edge is a part of being a Rock N' Roll star. Take a look at your cd collection and count the number of albums that you have from junkies. Scott is a junkie but he's also a survivor.

Count the number of junkies...who were fucked out of their brains in the 60's and 70's?...yeah,I can do that easily.

Live and learn..ya know?

Rock and Roll junkie-dom in the last 20 years is just an illusory prop.

Taking it to the edge is a part of being a Rock N' Roll Star. Take a look at your cd collection and count the number of albums that you have from junkies. Scott is a junkie but he's also a survivor. Sober people make for lousy artists. I have no doubt that Scott will be kicking ass by the time I see him in August.

I hope they don't cancel the tour before the Van show.

When are people going to realize this dude is a fuckin' loser, and let him fade away into oblivion?

When his songs are taken off heavy rotation on rock stations across the nation.

Not for a long time.

I actually heard a STP song on the radio for the first time in FIVE years since the "reunion".

It isn't about booze or drugs or anything like that. The dude is just a fuck up. Period. He has this absurd self-destructive personality where he drives away all his friends, bandmates, alienates fans, shows disrespect by showing up late to shows.... wait a minute...

That's sounding awfully familiar. :book:

To his credit, he's the type of guy that seems to care incredibly for his family, especially the kids

Especially the kids??

Responsible parents who especially care about the kids aren't stumbling and staggering around like they just came off a twelve day bender...with Pete Doherty.

Don't want to get into a big debate about drug addition either, but if you've followed Scott you know he's got 2 very conflicting sides with family and drugs. He didn't come from nowhere like an Axl, his dad is a Notre Dame alumn, Scott follows ND football very closely, even performing at the university in 2006 the night before a game, was close to his younger brother, Michael, who died during the L'tad session, etc. It's one of the things that makes his story so interesting and unfortunate.

Not at all saying he's a victim here. But it's way overly simplistic to say anyone with a drug problem, or who replapses, doesn't give a shit about family. By your reasoning, Slash doesn't give a shit about London and Cash, Eddie couldn't care less about Wolfie, etc.

Drugs aside, it's easy to see Scott cares a great deal about his kids. You really think he doesn't? :confused:

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Even the hardcore STP fans are really worried: Link

How people could NOT see him staggering on stage, slurring his words, watch him dropping things...

It was heartbreaking to watch because to me we were all watching a man self destruct and all everyone else cared about was getting their money's worth.

I'm honestly terrified for Scott
I am in fear that we are losing him. And I have NEVER ever felt this way in 15 years. And I am very upset.

I hope they don't cancel the tour before the Van show.

That would suck but I've seen them before anyway. I'm already going to Oasis and Beck that week so It'll save me some money if STP does cancel.

I think you guys are over reacting. Who hasn't been completely fucked up before. Sure we don't go to work like that but we're not Rock N' Roll Stars. The only thing that worries me is Scott getting arrested again. They need to hire somebody to drive him around and score drugs for him.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Wow, I hope it's not as bad as how some are making out.  Kinda hard to tell from those blurry videos - I do see him staggering around and not quite moving to the music the way he tends to do, and he missed a line in BBB.  Vocally he doesn't sound terrible, I mean maybe it's not a vintage performance but rock singers can sound bad for various reasons.  I haven't watched Scott as long as these fans have, haven't even seen a full STP show, so I'm sure they know what they are talking about.

What must really suck is being in a band and the other guys not giving a shit.  A band is supposed to be like a gang.  I can't even fathom that no one cares so long as the paycheques keep coming in.  I wouild hope the guys are trying to keep things rolling but also keeping an eye on Scott as much as possible.  Surely when you've spent that much time with someone you care what happens to them.

Randy, I'm kinda with you - this is part of the lifestyle and all...and just look at the music that we all enjoy. But eventually this shit will kill a man if he can't get a handle on it...and Scott does seem to be struggling with it more than a lot of his peers have.

Edited by KBear

Scott should have never called Axl a "fat, botox faced, wig wearin’ fuck!". Scott's current troubles are the result of a curse that Axl had Beta put on Scott. That's why Scott has been saying nice things about Axl lately. Sorry Scott, Axl's not known for his forgiveness.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I don't see the comaprison with Morrison.

Weilland is more like a glam rock version of Hunter S Thompson. Or Chad Kroger on drugs.

I don't know Scott but he seems sort of preppy? It's like the coke heads at Harvard got a grunge band together.

Especially the kids??

ok...well...let me highlight in bold the section below the part you highlighted in bold.

Especially ones who have experienced the damage done.

He didn't come from nowhere like an Axl, his dad is a Notre Dame alumn, Scott follows ND football very closely, even performing at the university in 2006 the night before a game,

Then he's clearly aware of the influential traits and habits fathers have on their children.

Lead by example and all that.

was close to his younger brother, Michael, who died during the L'tad session

What did his brother die from??

He had one of his closest family members die from the very behaviour he's now displaying...and the guy's been to rehab after his brother's death!

He knows the pain of that kind of close loss...he doesn't appear to be too worried about his children experiencing that exact same sort of pain (to me anyway).

But it's way overly simplistic to say anyone with a drug problem, or who replapses, doesn't give a shit about family.

They are not giving a shit about anyone or anything but themselves...let alone immediate family..at the moment they decide to get high at their loved one's expense.

Drugs aside, it's easy to see Scott cares a great deal about his kids. You really think he doesn't? :confused:

Come on man,you can't say "drugs aside" and ask a question like that.It's because of the drugs that it's even being discussed.

He lost a brother,he's been through rehab.He's a grown man in his 40's.

He knows better,he knows the choices...and he certainly knows how it can destroy a career.

I'd say his kids are not first and foremost on his mind right now.

...as they should be!

It's the Pete Doherty fail-safe plan.

When you fall out of the headlines,get wasted!

99% of North America had no clue who the fuck Babyshambles were (still don't really)...but that fucking guy is constantly in the headlines...for nothing that has to do with his music or band.

But there is...off to jail...off to rehab...flat on his face...who??...oh yeah,that Babyshambles guy!

Scott has actually been in bands that have sold millions of albums. How many albums has Pete sold?

exactly my point

What's he getting attention for today?

For being on a popular reunion tour. Scott is getting fucked up because he wants to, not so he can get attention from the media. Scott has written popular songs that lots of people love. He isn't a fucking nobody like Pete Doherty.

FYI, Doherty isn't really a nobody. He was in the Libertines who were a brilliant band.