Axl Rose Chat #6 - mygnrforum - Dec. 14, 2008

This is What Axl said about MY WORLD (blames it on Slash) on HTGTH:

Q: - What the hell was My World? lol (I've always been curious)

A: Great question and here goes for all your inquisitive minds with a bit you aren’t aware of but is the real story…

Unfinished 1st run 1st dabbling/experimenting all in fun demo that became Duff’s favorite song at the time telling me how he loved to blast it at his house with Ice T and the Bodycount guys before Illusions came out and before it was decided to be on the record. I wanted to try and develop it and wanted guitars of some kind but Slash felt and his words at the Record Plant in all seriousness were “It’s perfect” and Slash and Duff were the deciding factor to have it on the album. eek

Personally I feel Duff legitimately liked it but I can’t say Slash did in the same way. In fact I feel he was keenly aware some would take issue with the track and against me so for him in that sense it was “perfect”. Imo Duff wasn’t aware or part of that and was “used” unwittingly for support in talking me out of developing it or not including it which at the time I had no real intention of using as is.

Are we supposed to actually believe this? He makes it sound like Slash had some mastermind plan to make him look like shit.

So you believe Slash's claim? As in, Axl somehow managed to sneak the song onto the album without ANYONE else knowing about it? That's believable? These guys didn't listen to the final cut of their own album before releasing it?

So how do you explain "One in a Million" on Lies and "Look at your game girl" by charles manson on Spaghetti Incident. Those were also Slash's fault?

I think it's cool to get Axl's perspective on everything but the people whose words carry more weight for me are Izzy and Duff. They have always been more agenda free than either Axl or Slash.

I think there is a lot of truth to the guy who said "unstoppable force, immovable object". It seems to make sense that Slash and the band probably made so many compromises during Use your Illusion that they were unwilling to make any more concessions afterwards. I think Slash even says that in an interview around that time that he wanted to have more control and say over what the followup to UYI would be like.

Anyway major kudos to Axl for writing all that up. This is uncharted territory for a gnr fan.

What do those songs have to do with anything?

Axl didn't claim that My World was Slash's "fault", what he said is that Slash and Duff knew of the song and both of them claimed to like it. That he didn't put the song on the album without anyone else knowing it. In essence, that Slash claiming he didn't know the song or didn't know it was on there is bullshit, and an attempt to distance himself from it after the negative reaction it received

No, Axl flat out said he thinks Slash claimed to like it and encouraged him to put it on the record as some masterful plan to make Axl look stupid.

A: Great question and here goes for all your inquisitive minds with a bit you aren’t aware of but is the real story…

Unfinished 1st run 1st dabbling/experimenting all in fun demo that became Duff’s favorite song at the time telling me how he loved to blast it at his house with Ice T and the Bodycount guys before Illusions came out and before it was decided to be on the record. I wanted to try and develop it and wanted guitars of some kind but Slash felt and his words at the Record Plant in all seriousness were “It’s perfect” and Slash and Duff were the deciding factor to have it on the album. eek

Personally I feel Duff legitimately liked it but I can’t say Slash did in the same way. In fact I feel he was keenly aware some would take issue with the track and against me so for him in that sense it was “perfect”. Imo Duff wasn’t aware or part of that and was “used” unwittingly for support in talking me out of developing it or not including it which at the time I had no real intention of using as is.

Are we supposed to actually believe this? He makes it sound like Slash had some mastermind plan to make him look like shit.

So you believe Slash's claim? As in, Axl somehow managed to sneak the song onto the album without ANYONE else knowing about it? That's believable? These guys didn't listen to the final cut of their own album before releasing it?

So how do you explain "One in a Million" on Lies and "Look at your game girl" by charles manson on Spaghetti Incident. Those were also Slash's fault?

I think it's cool to get Axl's perspective on everything but the people whose words carry more weight for me are Izzy and Duff. They have always been more agenda free than either Axl or Slash.

I think there is a lot of truth to the guy who said "unstoppable force, immovable object". It seems to make sense that Slash and the band probably made so many compromises during Use your Illusion that they were unwilling to make any more concessions afterwards. I think Slash even says that in an interview around that time that he wanted to have more control and say over what the followup to UYI would be like.

Anyway major kudos to Axl for writing all that up. This is uncharted territory for a gnr fan.

Axl didn't claim that My World was Slash's "fault", what he said is that Slash and Duff knew of the song and both of them claimed to like it. That he didn't put the song on the album without anyone else knowing it. In essence, that Slash claiming he didn't know the song or didn't know it was on there is bullshit, and an attempt to distance himself from it after the negative reaction it received

Well the point is, according to the ex gunners, none of them wanted either the charlie manson song or OIAM on the albums, but they were on there anyway. There is a precedent here....IF we are to believe Izzy, Duff, and Slash.

Well the point is, according to the ex gunners, none of them wanted either the charlie manson song or OIAM on the albums, but they were on there anyway. There is a precedent here....IF we are to believe Izzy, Duff, and Slash.

Slash and Duff knew about OIAM going on Lies. They weren't comfortable with the idea, but they knew it was on there. OIAM was placed on Lies with their knowledge.

But none of them have claimed that Axl just put the song on the album without anyone else knowing about it. It's one thing to say we didn't want to do a song, didn't want it on there, but did it anyway. It's another to claim you didn't even know the song existed and somehow it ended up on the final cut of the album without anyone else even having a clue about its existence

And that could’ve worked on some level but like Guns it would’ve been up to those two and their relationship. They talk nice but it wasn’t pretty… but it was pretty awesome!!

Zakk

These two would of made a great album just for the instrumental.

Maybe Axl can get him in to do some touring.

Edited by ghost789a

wow! good read.

pretty funny that people give axl shit for not speaking up/telling his side of the story, and when he does, that aint good enough! fair play to you if you wanna question the validity of axl's words, but people will always pick a fight with axl and argue for the sake of arguing (probably for the reasons axl explains). there are some hard to please bastards out there...i guess the same can be said for some peoples attitude towards CD.

maybe i'm gettin kinda old and lazy, but I don't feel the need to dispute everything i read. to be honest, i've always been inclined to believe axl over slash or any other person involved (or got themself involved for their own shameless publicity...seriously, remember scott weilands malicious little rant? i lost any future hopes for respect for that douche right there and then). maybe its because i've always felt axl has more integrity, and does things for the art of it. don't get me wrong, i love pretty much all of slash's material on guns and like it on some VR songs. but my belief is that axl is an artist, and does things purely for the music. challenge that if you must...

we always knew "there's a lot goin' on" behind the scenes, so it's interesting to hear more than one side of the story (and from a pretty reputable source hey...). and i appreciate and respect axl's level of dignity regarding the shit thats been said about to him.

so just a thank you to axl. i love CD, not once did i sit there whilst listening to it and think "this would sound better with...(whoever)". a part of me thought i might think that, you know listen to it and think "this needs slash" or what ever. but i love it for what it is. it completely sounds like a natural progression of guns, and i'm definately loving this chapter.

its so hard to think of one question. one wouldn't suffice, and i don't wanna be greedy. so here's one, im just curious about and steering off the more legal and heavy path....(sorry if its been asked before....internet is bollocks)

axl - are there any "new" bands/artists out there that you're into, and any you feel Guns can relate to?

au revoir!

Slash and Duff knew about OIAM going on Lies. They weren't comfortable with the idea, but they knew it was on there. OIAM was placed on Lies with their knowledge.

But was it on there with their consent? Izzy talks about this in one of his interviews that OIAM was going to be on the record whether they liked it or not. It's these types of things that make me question some of the things Axl has said. Izzy is his childhood friend and one of the most humble and down to earth musicians in the biz and when his side of things seem to gel more with what Slash and Duff say....well...it makes it hard to side with Axl completely.

I'm on the fence, Axl's version helps fill in the blanks. I knew that it couldn't really be as simple as Slash and Duff being forced to sign over the rights and I believe that Alan Niven hated Axl enough to want to fire him....BUT...like Izzy said in his interview, I think Axl was simply securing his power over the band. There are interviews from that period in 94 where both Duff and Slash say the same thing, nothing can get started on the album until Axl gives his okay. The managers only listened to Axl. He pretty much ran the band completely back then. They were basically demoted to hired hands for all intents and purposes. This gels with what Izzy was saying about being forced by Axl to a secondary position in the band and him quitting in protest.

This is just what I'm getting out of this whole story. Who knows what the real truth is...

But none of them have claimed that Axl just put the song on the album without anyone else knowing about it. It's one thing to say we didn't want to do a song, didn't want it on there, but did it anyway. It's another to claim you didn't even know the song existed and somehow it ended up on the final cut of the album without anyone else even having a clue about its existence

Well here's the interesting thing, Izzy is on record as saying he had no idea about "My World" until he heard the record.... :shrugs:

And does anyone else find Axl's VERY long defense on why he kept the name Guns N' Roses just.......off? I appreciate the man offering his genuine opinion, but it doesn't matter what band it is...if it gets to the point where there is just one of the people left, then it is not the same band of people, and therefore requires a different identity. Guns N' Roses is not a survival story for anyone but Axl, and that makes it AXL'S survival story, not Guns N' Roses.

A few years back I met Artemis Pyle of Lynrd Skynrd. He was jamming at a small bar in Cedar Key, Fl. , with his group The Artemis Pyle Band. We sat together had a few beers, he told me about the plane crash, crawling out of the wreckage.... He saw my Lynrd Skynrd shirt, and said "See those guys on your shirt? Wheres Ronnie Van Zant? Wheres Steve and Cassie Gaines? Those members of Lynrd Skynrd on your shirt, they arent even the original members at all." "Thats not Lynrd Skynrd."

People still accept them to this day as Lynrd Skynrd though, (even me) they dont have all the drama the identity problems that Guns has gone through. If people can accept that without any issue, why cant folks let Guns, be Guns?

And does anyone else find Axl's VERY long defense on why he kept the name Guns N' Roses just.......off? I appreciate the man offering his genuine opinion, but it doesn't matter what band it is...if it gets to the point where there is just one of the people left, then it is not the same band of people, and therefore requires a different identity. Guns N' Roses is not a survival story for anyone but Axl, and that makes it AXL'S survival story, not Guns N' Roses.

A few years back I met Artemis Pyle of Lynrd Skynrd. He was jamming at a small bar in Cedar Key, Fl. , with his group The Artemis Pyle Band. We sat together had a few beers, he told me about the plane crash, crawling out of the wreckage.... He saw my Lynrd Skynrd shirt, and said "See those guys on your shirt? Wheres Ronnie Van Zant? Wheres Steve and Cassie Gaines? Those members of Lynrd Skynrd on your shirt, they arent even the original members at all." "Thats not Lynrd Skynrd."

People still accept them to this day as Lynrd Skynrd though, (even me) they dont have all the drama the identity problems that Guns has gone through. If people can accept that without any issue, why cant folks let Guns, be Guns?

I actually thought of them when Axl was talking about keeping the name going in his post. The difference is those guys died. Nobody from GNR has.

Baz, what d' ya think about Bumblefoot, I can't stand the guy, don't like his style, he doesn't belong to Gn'r, I think Catcher was ruined because his awful guitars... besides he doesn't know the lyrics of 18 and life lol...

I think bbf is one of the coolest guys and his guitar kicks ass.

Amen to that! Even though I don't know him personally, how can a person not stand him. Most of us have talked to him quite a bit online and he's always very nice, funny and makes sure to answer you back.

I have 3 of his albums and I can't get enough rock4

You told me you're an orphan

The same old standard line

Then when we moved in together

All you did was moan and cry

Talkin' like you'd make it

On life's big movie screen

I had to say I loved you

Just to try and keep the peace

Hustler

What are you doin' with your time

I'm slow to catch on

But I think you wasted mine

You're running low tonight

Jack up and get it right

You know you're going down

Ain't it good to be alive

I couldn't make excuses about

everything you said

You wanna show your bruiseS

Let's throw a party for the band

Now here they come a dancin'

Like the powder to your nose

Why don't you cut your head off

Spite your face let's do the show

Hustler

What are you doin' with your time

I'm slow to catch on

But I think you wasted mine

Hustler

You're running low tonight

The station's right close by

Pack up your car and drive

Tearing at the membrane

Of the first new thing in years

Found a nagging consolation

In a glass of Everclear

And the ugly truth has raped you

They're saying you're a lousy lay

But isn't everything that way

So good to be alive

Sour, this affliction

If it was me i'd have it fixed

And with everywhere you've been

You're much too old to be so naive

So what the hell do you want to be

Following the trends that never end

I can't stand the parties you attend

So what the hell do you want with me

Oh, you're so underground

Oh, ain't that swell

Well the word is on the street

You're collecting sympathy and

then you hide

And ya ain't been out in days

Will the sunshine burn your face

Preserve your precious skin

I'll go out, you stay in

What the hell do you want to be

I can't stand the parties you attend

Please don't feed the pigeons

Out of the same sad bag of trcks

I've heard it all a million times

You make me sicker than

the wine you drink

So if you think I need some help

Clim

It'll make you think

So what the hell do you want to be

Why is it that I can't

stand your friends

What the hell do you want to be

Following fashion in the sheets

Chasing every other flavor

of the week

So what the hell do you want from me

What do you want to be

What do you want to be

What do you want to be

What do you want to be

Looking for anyone who's somebody

What do you want from me

Looking for anyone who's somebody

What do you want from me

What do you want from me

You and I...

Have been playing this game

For so damn long

And I...

Don't know why

These cards are too old

So I'm gonna fold

Bye bye

Bye bye

Bye bye

Yeah...

Party's over and all our friends are gone

Was it something I said, did we have too much fun

Guess you missed it, look around

It's never you who's to blame for bringin' everyone down

It's never you who's to blame

For setting the stage

You want it your way

C'mon, C'mon, C'mon

Why don't you take it away

Take it away

Come on, take it away

Take it away

Take it away

Take it away

Take it away

Bad rumors goin' round

Nothing said from my mouth

Why would you think

It's you

It's hitting too close to home now

Is it me or you

Who carries the weight

To deal with your pain

And don't you hate it too

It smothers and drains all the same

C'mon, take it away

Take it away

Take it away

Take it away

C'mon, take it away

Take it away...!

C'mon, take it away

Take it away

C'mon, take it away

What do you think?

It's not as if Slash hasn't got form for hanging Axl out to dry. I mean he was happy enough playing OIAM here (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rejzm3PhQ&feature=related) but when it attracted the negative attention he said how it made him feel uncomfortable, it didn't sit right with him and that he refused to play it live. He deflected all the heat onto Axl for that, which is what Axl is saying happened with My World aswell.

axl has been silent for many years...in that time how much negativity have we heard from slash etc? quite a lot. axl is addressing a "fan" board directly, with his version of the story. what more could you ask for? difference is axl has had A LOT of questions to answer over time, more so than slash or anyone has done. so he's answering what we've always asked, want him to polish the truth? why would he do that? it is what it is, thats your problem if you can't handle the truth. if things weren't nicey nicey, why would you expect axl to say they were? other band members certainly haven't. he has just as much of a right to speak up...isn't that what we wanted? if the truth hurts you, don't read.

I just feel like Axl is being pretty petty with some of his answers. The whole "you've been lied to" thing is pretty old & good example of what I'm talking about. Basically, this is just Axl's word and by no means do I think it's exactly the way that it was. I also think it's childish for him to discredit the other members by basically calling them liars. Why not act like forty some year old men instead of a spited teenage girls?

Axl, put the pettiness aside and reunite the real GNR for God's sake. The vast majority of fans just want the real deal. It's been a long time, man. No offense, dude, but I think this is what most people are interested in - not just your side of the truth. Time to let dead dogs lie.

Edited by Hell_Hound

Because we are Guns N Roses fans... Just because we think Chinese Democracy is a joke doesn't make us any less of a Guns N' Roses fan. If Chinese Democracy wasn't released as a Guns record this wouldn't be like this.. Just deal with it.

I would say that all the Axl nutswingers that would constantly ruin threads on the VR section were worse. If they werent VR fans they shouldn't be there. I am a Guns N' Roses fan so I will continue to post here.

You are not a GNR fan you cunt.......you are Slash's ass licker! :rofl-lol:

Axl it is ungreatfull lost your memory...My friend, you wouldn't be nothing if the old line up didn't work with you in the old days...Just think about it for a while....By the way....What is GNR today? It is a band or couple of guys work for a bunch of dollars...? I don't know if is in the band Ron Thal, Paul Tobias or what ever...maybe now is playing the drums Teddy Zig Zag...Who knows? Always in Axl's planet is estranged. The GNR's soul is dead in the 90. Only Axl can do what he has to do for reload his carrera: call the original line up and stoped all this fuckin bad dream...