Springsteen Recommendations

CryptElf

I'm getting into Bruce Springsteen and I need some people to recommend songs or albums for me to buy.

I really like his more upbeat songs like Born to Run, Badlands, Dancin' in the Dark, Born in the USA, Glory Days, and Hungry Heart, but I also like Brilliant Disguise and Streets of Phillidelphia, so just hit me with anything good.

I'm really diggin' his music but I want to be on the safe side here and make sure there's more good shit than just that handfull of songs.

I'd recommend his latest album if you don't have it already or haven't gotten to hear much from it. It doesn't have many upbeat songs, but I think it's a really good album.

Looks like my father picked it up yesterday, I'll give it a listen.

Its a solid Album. My Lucky Day, Working on a Dream, Kingdom of Days, Outlaw Pete, Queen of the Supermarket, the Wrestler and the Last Carnival are solid songs.

Edited by NightProwler

The Essential would be a good way to start, yeah. Then I'd just go through his records chronogically, it really shows the way his music has evolved and shaped itself over the years.

Nobody has mentioned them yet in this thread, but The Rising and Magic are very, very good records. The Rising may even by my favourite Springsteen album.

I'd recommend his latest album if you don't have it already or haven't gotten to hear much from it. It doesn't have many upbeat songs, but I think it's a really good album.

Looks like my father picked it up yesterday, I'll give it a listen.

Just admit you're downloading it.

I'm actually being serious haha. I wouldn't have a problem admiting it if I actually were downloading it.

Same here. I downloaded it. I plan on buying it too. Maybe even the DVD edition. Not until it comes down in price though, or if I see it for sale used.

I would reccomend everything available!

Magic definetley ranks up there with his best, as does Workin On A Dream. I would stongly reccomend the 1975 Hammersmith Show from London, it really is outstanding, one of the greatest live shows I've ever heard. Worth it for Spirit In The Night and Lost In The Flood alone ;)

I would reccomend everything available!

Magic definetley ranks up there with his best, as does Workin On A Dream. I would stongly reccomend the 1975 Hammersmith Show from London, it really is outstanding, one of the greatest live shows I've ever heard. Worth it for Spirit In The Night and Lost In The Flood alone ;)

Oh man what a great show. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out is def. one of the best performances I have ever seen. Quarter to three is also kickass to. Best live CD and DVD I have without a doubt

You should start with Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River oh and Born in the USA.

After that get some of the live albums, either Live in New York City or for a slightly different style get Live in Dublin ;)

The recent albums like The Rising, Magic and Working on a Dream are also worth getting.

Well to be honest all of Springsteens albums are worth getting but if i were you i would start with the few i've suggested :D

id recommend anything by springsteen, funnily enough i got two of his cd's in the post today...the ghost of tom joad, and the rising...the title track "ghost of tom joad" is amazing. Theres a really good audio of bruce and tom morelle doing it like on the magic tour somewhere on youtube.

Going to see him at hyde park in june, got my tics yesterdat...anyone else going?

Songs to check out that aren't "the hits" - Lost in the Flood, Growin Up, Hard To Be a Saint, Spirit in the Night,Incident on 57th, NYC Serenade, Kittys Back, Thundercrack, Thunder Road, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Backstreets, She's the One, Jungleland, Candys Room, Racing in the Street, Promised Land, Prove It All Night, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Ties that Bind, Sherry Darlin, Because the Night (live), Independence Day, The River, Stolen Car, Roulette, The Price You Pay, Jackson Cage, Drive All Night, Nebraska, Johnny 99, Atlantic City, Highway Patrolman, State Trooper, Reason to Believe, Darlington County, Downbound Train, Working on the Highway, No Surrender, Born in the USA (Tracks version), War, Seeds, My Love Will Not Let You Down, Pink Cadillac, Bobby Jean, Tougher than the Rest, Spare Parts, Souls of the Departed, Murder Incorporated, This Hard Land, Youngstown, Brothers Under the Bridges, Sad Eyes, The Fuse, Marys Place, Lonesome Day, My City of Ruins, Reno, Girls in their Summer Clothes, Long Walk Home, Outlaw Pete, The Wrestler.

Songs to check out that aren't "the hits" - Lost in the Flood, Growin Up, Hard To Be a Saint, Spirit in the Night,Incident on 57th, NYC Serenade, Kittys Back, Thundercrack, Thunder Road, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Backstreets, She's the One, Jungleland, Candys Room, Racing in the Street, Promised Land, Prove It All Night, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Ties that Bind, Sherry Darlin, Because the Night (live), Independence Day, The River, Stolen Car, Roulette, The Price You Pay, Jackson Cage, Drive All Night, Nebraska, Johnny 99, Atlantic City, Highway Patrolman, State Trooper, Reason to Believe, Darlington County, Downbound Train, Working on the Highway, No Surrender, Born in the USA (Tracks version), War, Seeds, My Love Will Not Let You Down, Pink Cadillac, Bobby Jean, Tougher than the Rest, Spare Parts, Souls of the Departed, Murder Incorporated, This Hard Land, Youngstown, Brothers Under the Bridges, Sad Eyes, The Fuse, Marys Place, Lonesome Day, My City of Ruins, Reno, Girls in their Summer Clothes, Long Walk Home, Outlaw Pete, The Wrestler.

couldnt agree more