What's The Best Live Guns Footage?

LAFF

Hi there

I'm looking for some good quality Guns footage while they were in their Appetite or Illusion phase... I've got live at The Ritz in 88 & Paris in 92... is there anything else I need to get?

It's got to be Good quality - Ideally professionally filmed... i quite like the look of the Chicago 92 show on You Tube, so i'll probably purchase that...

What I'd really love is the Wembley 91 show - i wonder whether they filmed the whole thing, what with the great footage of Live N Let Die from there...

Anyway, let me know what you think...

There are a few shows that you can find on the net in pro-shot.

- CBGB's ('87) - an acoustic set of a bout an hour and an interview; only shot through one static cam; pretty good show, but imo having it in audio is enough

- Ritz ('88) - you have it

- Melbourne ('88) - I'm not sure if the full show is in circulation, but I distinctly remember seeing at least one song off it; the quality was horrible though

- Rock In Rio 1st night ('91) - pretty damn good; definitely worth getting; one annoying thing about though is that there's an announcer speaking in Portuguese over some parts of the songs

- Rock In Rio 2nd night ('91) - it's incomplete; it cuts after about 2/3 of the show

- Noblesville, Indiana ('91) - arguably the best show available

- St. Louis ('91) - worth getting

- Tokyo ('92) - the official DVD; it's very good to get into live GNR; but Live Era contains the best tracks form it anyway

- Chicago ('92) - an amazing show; unfortunately Paradise City is missing so it's left without the grand finale

- Oklahoma City ('92) - almost the setlist as Chicago (minus the awesome Coma), but the performance is weak; not worth getting

- Paris ('92) - you have it

- Chile ('92) - hard to say; about half of it is some of the best versions of the songs there are (SCOM, ISE, NR), but there are also some atrocious versions (especially WTTJ); also, Civil War is split in two by an audience riot

- Argentina ('92) - in average it's probably better than Chile, but doesn't have any highlights (except maybe Slash's solo and Patience, but not as memorable as the ones I pointed out in Chile); the problem with both shows is the very short setlist - it's over before you know it

- Argentina ('93) - worth getting; just make sure that you have a good version; most have the songs in the order in which they were aired on tv (LALD and Yesterdays after PC, the acoustic set right afteter Brownstone, some songs cut) which is annoying; also, the full unaired set has a worse quality than the aired one - make sure you see some screenshots before downloading/buying

Check gnrontour.com for setlists.

My recommendations: get Argentina '93 and Noblesville on dvd and the rest in audio for starters.

There are a few shows that you can find on the net in pro-shot.

- CBGB's ('87) - an acoustic set of a bout an hour and an interview; only shot through one static cam; pretty good show, but imo having it in audio is enough

Audio is great, if good quality it's enough to enjoy a concert, but there is nothing like actually watching the video. CBGB's especially because it was like this extremely intimate show where the band practically sat amongst everyone at the club (it wasn't like they were up on stage) and it was so relaxed and casual. The early shows (pre-AFD) really are cool to watch, even if the quality is subpar. I didn't see GN'R pre-AFD and like most fans I only know of them as this huge and successful band, so it's kind of surreal to see them in those days and realize this was when they were struggling and still trying to make it big. Plus with the CBGB's DVD you get to see the autograph signing/interview at the end, where Slash is wasted and can barely even get his words out. :lol: Aside from that, hearing him and Axl (mostly Axl) talk about all the stuff going on, it''s just really cool.

Edited by KBear

Hi there

I'm looking for some good quality Guns footage while they were in their Appetite or Illusion phase... I've got live at The Ritz in 88 & Paris in 92... is there anything else I need to get?

It's got to be Good quality - Ideally professionally filmed... i quite like the look of the Chicago 92 show on You Tube, so i'll probably purchase that...

What I'd really love is the Wembley 91 show - i wonder whether they filmed the whole thing, what with the great footage of Live N Let Die from there...

Anyway, let me know what you think...

Don't buy bootlegs, ever, under any circumstances. The ONLY time I find buying bootlegs is acceptable is if it's an LP. Especially when it comes to DVD's, there's plenty of traders out there that will help you. Just find someone's trade list, if they have a show you want, ask them to do a B&P. Most will do it.

Not all the best shows are pro-shot.

Paris 13/07/93 is an amazing show, but audience.

Hartford 93 (i can't recall the exact date from memory right now, but it's march sometime) is another good show.

Pro-shots

Indiana 29/05/1991 is probably one of the best

Rock In Rio 2 both nights (20/01/1991 and 23/01/1991) are great. Night 2 however Axl has some dificulties with his mic in YCBM

CBGB is good if you like the acoustic stuff. Although is highlighted with One In A Million.

Most 86 shows are good but not the best video wise.

Argentina 17/07/1993 is just awesome. My favorite preformance of Nightrain (youtube search "Nightrain argentina 93 hq")

There are probably more but i can't think right now.