Who Are Your Top 10 Favorite Singers?

Gordon Comstock

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted_19765
Not based on any technical skill, but rather my personal adoration for deep emotive rasps and growls, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Howlin' Wolf, James Carr, M. Ward, Elmore James, Nick Cave, John Lee Hooker, Mark Lanegan, Blixa Bargeld. Bit arbitrary, but those are the first I think of whenever I want a soothing male vocal to draw my attention away from everything else.

Elmore James definitely should have made my top ten. Perhaps James Carr as well.

Aight, I'll make one for women as well:

Etta James

Joni Michell

Radka Toneff

Ella Fitzgerald

Joss Stone

Eva Cassidy

Debbie Harry

Exene Cervenka

Aretha

Patti Smith

Janis Joplin

Tammi Terrell

Nico

Gabriella Cilmi

Allison Krauss

Christina Aguleira

Hayley Williams

Sinead O Connor

Melissa Etheridge

ok

It's favourite, not best or most popular. I happen to love the Plant/Krauss album, I love the tone of Cilmi's voice. Xtina is an incredible vocalist, Hayley Williams has a really good and powerful way of delivering lyrics, demonstrated especially on Decode. Melissa Etheridge makes very catchy American type rock/folk music, similar to Sheryl Crow, and Sinead O Connor is incredibly talented and puts in so much emotion.

Hayley Williams is NOT CREDIBLE ENOUGH TO SHARE A LIST WITH NICO -- GÖR OM, GÖR RÄTT!

Karen O is pretty cool.

Not based on any technical skill, but rather my personal adoration for deep emotive rasps and growls, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Howlin' Wolf, James Carr, M. Ward, Elmore James, Nick Cave, John Lee Hooker, Mark Lanegan, Blixa Bargeld. Bit arbitrary, but those are the first I think of whenever I want a soothing male vocal to draw my attention away from everything else.

Elmore James definitely should have made my top ten. Perhaps James Carr as well.

He's sublime, isn't he? I'll take this opportunity to thank you, seeing as I first got intrigued enough to look up Elmore James off a recommendation by you some two to three years ago.

Edited by nameless_girl

Guest deleted_19765

He's sublime, isn't he? I'll take this opportunity to thank you, seeing as I first got intrigued enough to look up Elmore James off a recommendation by you some two to three years ago.

Yet another recommendation I can't remember, but am proud of.

He is so good. Even though I manage to forget sometimes, he's the greatest blues singer ever, no contest at all. The first verse of "My Bleeding Heart" is amazing. "People, people, people, do you KNOW what it mean to be left alone?" Just knocks me on my ass every time. Its funny because he's more likely to be mentioned as a guitarist.

Aight, I'll make one for women as well:

Etta James

Joni Michell

Radka Toneff

Ella Fitzgerald

Joss Stone

Eva Cassidy

Debbie Harry

Exene Cervenka

Aretha

Patti Smith

Janis Joplin

Tammi Terrell

Nico

björk, marnie stern, chan marshall, beth gibbons, jesca hoop, cocorosie, and joanna newsom are all favorites.

^_^

Gwen Stefani, Courtney Love, Shirley Manson, Lennon Murphy, Vanessa Paradis, Axl Rose, Tori Amos, Billy Corgan, Stevie Nicks, Steven Tyler

And I'm with markyboy, Melissa Etheridge and Christina are both amazing. Although all the runs Xtina does can get old fast, she still has an amazing voice. And I love the cover of Piece of My Heart that Melissa did.

You should checkout The Slits, best most original most inventive girl group in the world :) and Ari Up as a vocalist is totally unique.

For fuck sakes, fuck Cobain, nothing but a talentless moron that did Rock N' Roll a favor and that was killing himself. That bastard is rotting in hell, like Rourke said, what a pussy.

ON TOPIC

Michael Jackson

John Lennon

Steven Tyler

Paul McCartney

Jimi Hendrix

Bono

Bruce Springsteen

Billy Idol

Robert Plant

Elvis Presley

No order, I have an interesting taste in music, from disco, to pop, to rock n roll, to metal.

For fuck sakes, fuck Cobain, nothing but a talentless moron that did Rock N' Roll a favor and that was killing himself. That bastard is rotting in hell, like Rourke said, what a pussy.

ON TOPIC

Michael Jackson

John Lennon

Steven Tyler

Paul McCartney

Jimi Hendrix

Bono

Bruce Springsteen

Billy Idol

Robert Plant

Elvis Presley

No order, I have an interesting taste in music, from disco, to pop, to rock n roll, to metal.

you cant say someone is a talentless moron, then say the name Bono, and not have the talentless moron actually be Bono.

fuck bono.

lawl

Something you wanna tell us?

Axl

Chris Cornell

Kurt Cobain

Bon Scott

Brian Johnson

Steven Tyler

Layne Stayley

Eddie Vedder

Liam Gallagher

Richard Ashcroft

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Maynard James Keenan; maybe he can be in mine if we put both the AC/DC guys in one spot :).

There's tons more though that probably have better voices, and lots more that I dig immensely (and who would probably be more original to list), but there's something about these dudes that just does it for me -- regardless of popularity :).

Edit: Oh shit...honorable female mention... Tracy Chapman.

Edited by Ant

Interesting? Your taste is as interesting as looking at paint dry. It's basically the obligatory artists to include on a classic rock/pop list. Go listen to a wider spectre of genres, perhaps a little alternative rock or indie, then come back and say that Cobain was talentless and the only good thing he did for rock 'n' roll was ending his own life.

Edited by Lithium

Eddie Veder - Axl Rose

Steve Tyler - Bon Scott

Syd Barrett - Jimmy Barnes

Amy Lee - Marc Bolan

...i dunno, too many of em fall into the same category from here on

edit - oh shit, i forgot billie holiday !

Edited by maXx diaTribE

Interesting? Your taste is as interesting as looking at paint dry. It's basically the obligatory artists to include on a classic rock/pop list. Go listen to a wider spectre of genres, perhaps a little alternative rock or indie, then come back and say that Cobain was talentless and the only good thing he did for rock 'n' roll was ending his own life.

The most interesting part of his post is that he describes his music taste as "interesting", who the fuck do that?