Alice In Chains Black Gives Way to Blue

Death Star

Guest deleted_19765

The whole Grunge crop has been quite down lately. Pearl Jam's last album wasn't talked about for too long, Weiland's solo album was a bit difficult and didn't sell well, Nirvana is still popular, but we are due for a major, unexpected comeback from one of those early 90s acts. William is good enough to surprise some people with this band, the same band Jerry Cantrell was the largest part of from the beginning. My expectations are high.

The whole Grunge crop has been quite down lately. Pearl Jam's last album wasn't talked about for too long, Weiland's solo album was a bit difficult and didn't sell well, Nirvana is still popular, but we are due for a major, unexpected comeback from one of those early 90s acts. William is good enough to surprise some people with this band, the same band Jerry Cantrell was the largest part of from the beginning. My expectations are high.

I really haven't heard anything by the new vocalist -- is he pretty good?

I'm always wary of bands who return after long hiatuses with new singers -- especially if the reason for their hiatus was because the original singer passed away. I look at groups like INXS and it's just so...meh. I don't know. I haven't been following AiC, but knowing that you're optimistic about their album has actually changed my expectations a bit. Your taste is pretty much infallible. :lol:

Looking forward to it, no doubt. But i am a strong believer that replacing the singer of any band is next to impossible regardless of how much input that said frontman had in song creation or not.

Obviously there are exceptions, eg. ACDC

Was a big AIC fan back in the day, so really hoping for something good here and will buy it asap.

I'm always wary of bands who return after long hiatuses with new singers -- especially if the reason for their hiatus was because the original singer passed away. I look at groups like INXS and it's just so...meh. I don't know. I haven't been following AiC, but knowing that you're optimistic about their album has actually changed my expectations a bit. Your taste is pretty much infallible. :lol:

I was skeptical to......but I saw them with VR (Tampa) and he won me over. In fact, I thought AIC's set was better then VR.

Also, on the subject of INXS (I'm a pretty big fan), that album with Fortune is better then people think.

Listen to it without any preconceived notions.

Edited by SunnyDRE

I was skeptical to......but I say them with VR (Tampa) and he won me over. In fact I thought AIC's set was better then VR.

Also, I on the subject of INXS (I'm a pretty big fan), that album with Fortune is better then people think.

Listen to it without any preconceived notions.

The new vocalist sounds really good in these videos:

Well, Weiland hasn't really had anything to do with grunge since STP's first album, and Pearl Jam's last album leaned a little towards the middle of the road. Half the songs were strong and memorable, and the rest were just kind of uninspired. I think their next album might be pretty good though, judging by the songs Got Some and Something's Going On (The former was played on Conan O'Brien, and the latter was taped by a fan outside a soundcheck). It's supposedly coming out around the same time as AiC's new album.

I've only heard a few live songs from William so far, but from what I've heard he actually doesn't sound too bad. I'm going to buy the album no matter what, but it's going to be a fucking shock not hearing Layne's gravely voice alongside Cantrell in the studio.

Weiland is NOT grunge! He's a fake, an Eddie vedder copycat from what I remember.

So this is great, two albums coming out in september by my favourite bands (AIC and Pearl Jam). Could not be happier!

I haven't been tracking AIC since Layne passed away, so I have no idea who the new singer is. *heads off to google*

Guest deleted_19765

Weiland is NOT grunge! He's a fake, an Eddie vedder copycat from what I remember.

Boo! This is a tired rumor. They all had similar influences, but Scott Weiland was if anything way the fuck ahead of Eddie Vedder, or just totally different. Grunge isn't really definable, and its bounds can be debated. But Weiland is and never was a copycat, only guilty of making it to popularity a little later.

Boo! This is a tired rumor. They all had similar influences, but Scott Weiland was if anything way the fuck ahead of Eddie Vedder, or just totally different. Grunge isn't really definable, and its bounds can be debated. But Weiland is and never was a copycat, only guilty of making it to popularity a little later.

+1.

Exactly. There were many different bands considered grunge. All with different sounds. Its because of the time that they came out, and where many of the bands originated, Seattle Area, that they all get lumped together under the same time. And fuck Vedder. Scott has way more talent and uniqueness.

Damn I haven't payed attention to AIC since they toured with VR like what, 2 years ago? Im sure the album wont suck, yeah it'll be strange without Layne but lets not forget about how awesome of a songwriter Jerry is, I'm also looking forward to how he and William combine lead and backing vocals.