Pink Floyd

Powerage5

I've been trying so hard to listen to Pink Floyd lately, but I just don't get them. Sure, DSOTM is a fantastic album, and The Wall is fairly good, but from what I've listened to I find them incredibly boring. There's the occasional accessible song like Wish You Were Here and Learning To Fly that I enjoy, but I find almost all of their stuff very bland and hard to listen to for more than 10 or 15 mins. Am I trying the wrong albums? Why don't I get what so many other people understand? I've listened to Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Meddle, Wish You Were Here and Atom Heart Mother, any other suggestions to spark my interest?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love David Gilmour's guitar work. He is just so unique and so precise in his guitar playing. He is the greatest guitar player of all time in my opinion. I love Roger Waters concepts and lyrics and I thnk he is the best songwriter of all time. I love Richard's keyboarding playing and his atmospheric keyboard playing. He is not the best but he is unique. I also love Nick's drumming, he is just very laid back and it goes well with the rest of the band. He is also not the best but still great.

Pink Floyd is not my favorite but definately one of my favorite bands of all time. Dark Side of the Moon is one of the best albums of all time, and probably my second favorite. My favorite album of all time is Derek and the Dominos Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

I can see why people might think they are boring, but I like it because a lot of their music really relaxes me and I enjoy that. I like music that makes me feel something and Pink Floyd does that for me.

If you want to get into Pink Floyd I would start with DSOTM, then The Wall, then Wish You Were Here, then Animals, then Meddle, then The Division Bell. Then if that works for you can try to get into their early stuff.

I would not recommend More, Ummagumma, or Momentary Lapse of Reason. The first two albums are possibly the two worst albums of all time.

As others have said, thier old stuff, (pre DSOTHM) in my opinion is not so good. They didn't really develop a direction yet. If it helps, watch the movie of The Wall, that might help in appreciating how much is actually going on in that album. Almost like a piece of literature rather than an album.

The Gilmour helmed Floyd was more back to thier atmospheric sound but had much less to say lyrically, barring On THe Turning Away.

Edited by where's izzy?

They are definitely not everyone's cup of tea, and I can understand why some people might find them boring, they havent got the "umph" and the kick ass danger of the stones etc, but their music is incredibly emotionally charged, the lyrics, concepts, production and overall songwriting genius made them tower above most bands.

great band.

Piper at the gates of dawn

saucerful of secrets

Meddle

Dark Side Of The Moon

Wish You Were Here

Animals

The Wall

The Final Cut

All Essential albums IMO.

Edited by liquidmetal

Powerage bro, as usual, we park our cars in the same garage, or at least a very similar one. I have abso-fuckin-lutely no fuckin idea why people like Pink Floyd. They are one of VERY few bands that i find poor to the point of being fucking insulting. Theres just something so lite, so candy assed, so...dispassionate and watered down about that band, Comfortably Numb, as i've said over and over and over again is the most flat out insulting song i've ever come across.

The Wall, all in all, president, government blah blah bleurgh, i could chew on my foreskin and get more out of it than listening to a Pink Floyd album, they are so disturbingly crap that i just can't begin to explain.

Maybe its just something that i don't get and a few years from now i'll be head over heels with em, who knows but for the past few years since i heard em they are absolutely fucking...bloodless, soul-less, less less less, lacking in every sense, an absolute jerk-pork of a band.

It's fantastic, Pompeii might just be my favourite live performance by any band ever, all of them are at the top of their game and it's just the Floyd, no crowds or anything to distract you from the music.

What I would give to be able to go back in time and see them live on one of the tours before Waters left.

I love David Gilmour's guitar work. He is just so unique and so precise in his guitar playing. He is the greatest guitar player of all time in my opinion. I love Roger Waters concepts and lyrics and I thnk he is the best songwriter of all time. I love Richard's keyboarding playing and his atmospheric keyboard playing. He is not the best but he is unique. I also love Nick's drumming, he is just very laid back and it goes well with the rest of the band. He is also not the best but still great.

Pink Floyd is not my favorite but definately one of my favorite bands of all time. Dark Side of the Moon is one of the best albums of all time, and probably my second favorite. My favorite album of all time is Derek and the Dominos Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

I can see why people might think they are boring, but I like it because a lot of their music really relaxes me and I enjoy that. I like music that makes me feel something and Pink Floyd does that for me.

If you want to get into Pink Floyd I would start with DSOTM, then The Wall, then Wish You Were Here, then Animals, then Meddle, then The Division Bell. Then if that works for you can try to get into their early stuff.

I would not recommend More, Ummagumma, or Momentary Lapse of Reason. The first two albums are possibly the two worst albums of all time.

I love Pink Floyd but I've never been able to get through More or Ummagumma. Atrocious albums. There not for everyone. You definitely have to listen to their albums as a whole. Their not exactly a "singles" band.

Syd Barrett's solo stuff is really good if you're into the earlier Pink Floyd. The Madcap Laughs is brilliant. Truly insanely and amazing lyrics.

I have never understood the fansination with Syd Barrett. Sure, I like some of his songs he did with the Floyd and solo stuff, but he is FAR from a genius. His lyrics are just random, silly, childlike, and don't make any sense. Please explain to me why he is a genius?

Pink Floyd is one of the few band I got to like rather quickly (unlike GNR, weirdly). I suggest you listen to those songs which are imo their best:

Shine on your crazy diamond

Echoes

Atom Heart Mother (all of it)

A saucerful of secrets

And all of Dark Side of the moon (with the exception of the track "money" which sucks a bit and has nothing to do on the album).

Now this band is more about seeing the grand scheme, their music don't see the reality of life as of now or one moment, but the life on a very long term, kind of like the movie 2001: a space odyssey, this kind of music tries to go beyond expressing just one moment in your life or a couple of years, it's about life, space and the universe, but that's just what I feel when listening to it, and that's why I love that band yet at the same time I never found them being as great as GNR because GNR is about giving all you got on one moment. If I had to compare those band, Pink Floyd would be the moon and GNR would be a shooting star.

Now this band is more about seeing the grand scheme, their music don't see the reality of life as of now or one moment, but the life on a very long term, kind of like the movie 2001: a space odyssey, this kind of music tries to go beyond expressing just one moment in your life or a couple of years, it's about life, space and the universe, but that's just what I feel when listening to it, and that's why I love that band yet at the same time I never found them being as great as GNR because GNR is about giving all you got on one moment. If I had to compare those band, Pink Floyd would be the moon and GNR would be a shooting star.

you really thought about this, ha ha

Love the bolded part, except GNR are more like the Sun on a forty degree day!

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
Pink Floyd is an amazing band. Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, and Animals are all fucking perfection.

Agree.

I love Pink Floyd but I've never been able to get through More or Ummagumma. Atrocious albums. There not for everyone. You definitely have to listen to their albums as a whole. Their not exactly a "singles" band.

Syd Barrett's solo stuff is really good if you're into the earlier Pink Floyd. The Madcap Laughs is brilliant. Truly insanely and amazing lyrics.

I have never understood the fansination with Syd Barrett. Sure, I like some of his songs he did with the Floyd and solo stuff, but he is FAR from a genius. His lyrics are just random, silly, childlike, and don't make any sense. Please explain to me why he is a genius?

Because some people are so conceeded (spelling?) that if they don't understand the lyrics to a song then they must be deep. Quite frankly, I agree with you when it comes to Syd Barrett.

Powerage bro, as usual, we park our cars in the same garage, or at least a very similar one. I have abso-fuckin-lutely no fuckin idea why people like Pink Floyd. They are one of VERY few bands that i find poor to the point of being fucking insulting. Theres just something so lite, so candy assed, so...dispassionate and watered down about that band, Comfortably Numb, as i've said over and over and over again is the most flat out insulting song i've ever come across.

The Wall, all in all, president, government blah blah bleurgh, i could chew on my foreskin and get more out of it than listening to a Pink Floyd album, they are so disturbingly crap that i just can't begin to explain.

Maybe its just something that i don't get and a few years from now i'll be head over heels with em, who knows but for the past few years since i heard em they are absolutely fucking...bloodless, soul-less, less less less, lacking in every sense, an absolute jerk-pork of a band.

Have you heard Piper at the Gates of Dawn? That one is right in your ballpark.

Try listen to The Final Cut! One of their best albums IMO.

Definitely! The lyrics are so powerful and Waters' voice conveys emotion better than most singers despite him not being technically very good.

Thanks! Finally someone who agreed with me on that. I've heard so many people say "the final cut isn't very good. It's just wannabe the wall". Well, many of the song were meant to be on the wall.. But so what, it's an amazing album!