Beatles Remasters

Zint

Ok...the time is getting near.

So I just got around to looking into it a bit,and I've found out they are doing mono and stereo remasters.

What to do what to do...

And it looks like the mono box set is more expensive...but the stereo box set cost about 40 bucks less and yet apparantly has 3 more discs.

Mono set has had 13 discs and the stereo set has 16??

(or has Amazon screwed up the info?)

Anyhoo...just picking people's brains.

Which format are you getting these releases in?...mono or stereo??...and why??

Edited by zint61

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I remember reading an interview where Paul said that he was fine with downloading.

Anyway, how much are these supposed to be Zint? I know now, just to buy one Beatles CD at the store, it's $15-$20. Others are even more.

Well, I suggest you start shopping at Target where you can get 'em at twelve bucks.

Stereo box set comes with the following:

-Dimensions: 12"x6"x3"

-Description:

Hard black glossy lift top with magnet clasp

CD's packaged in three panel digi-pak with digital mini documentaries

Remastered by Guy Massey, Steve Rooke, Sam Okell with Paul Hicks and Sean Magee

-Contains:

All 13 Studio remasters plus Past Masters (digi packaging with digital mini documentaries)

Please Please Me

With The Beatles

A Hard Day's Night

Beatles For Sale

Help!

Rubber Soul

Revolver

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Magical Mystery Tour

The Beatles

Yellow Submarine

Abbey Road

Let It Be

Past Masters

DVD of all 13 mini-documentaries (Running time: 40 minutes)

Mono box set comes with the following:(U.S. version)

Product Description

FEATURES:

-Dimensions: 5.75" x 5.38" x 2.63"

-Description:

·Hard white glossy slip box

·Limited edition (10,000 in the U.S. market)

·CDs packaged as mini LP replicas (replica artwork, sleeves and gatefolds)

·Remastered by Paul Hicks, Sean Magee with Guy Massey and Steve Rooke

-Contains:

Original Mono version - 11 albums (12 discs)

+= mono mix CD debut

·Please Please Me

·With The Beatles

·A Hard Day's Night

·Beatles For Sale

·Help! (CD also includes original 1965 stereo mix)+

·Rubber Soul (CD also include original 1965 stereo mix)+

·Revolver+

·Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band+

·Magical Mystery Tour+

·The Beatles+

·Mono Masters (features all of the mono tracks that appeared on singles, EPs. or that never made it onto the 13 albums)

-Essay written by Kevin Howlett

*note: Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and Let It Be are not included, as they were originally recorded in stereo

Weeeell...I poked around a bit and the debate over mono vs. stereo is massive and intense!

I'm now leaning towards the mono box set based on info like this:

................................................................................

In short, the stereo mixes were not considered important by George Martin or The Beatles until about '68. Stereo owners, in the UK anyway, were few and far between. Prior to that they spent all of their effort on the mono mixes, laboring over them for days and weeks to make sure they were exactly right. They just left the stereo mixes to engineers who dashed them off quickly (sometimes in as little as 30 minutes). The stereo mixes were put together for maximum novelty effect with the sounds totally separated, leaving a big hole in the middle of the sonic picture. They often destroyed the original feel of the song. The biggest thing you lose with the stereo versions is the power of the rhythm section. If you're wavering, go with the mono. That's the way The Beatles originally meant the songs to be heard. The mono set is limited so you may not always be able to get it but the stereo versions will always be available.

................................................................................

One thing I've been reading that seems to be universal (so far) is that Sgt. Pepper sounds FAR superior in a mono mix.

So that alone might make the mono box set worth it.

Not to mention the mono releases come in a mini vinyl format...which are pretty cool.

I have the New York Dolls first two albums in mini vinyl release (Japan imports) and they look great!

hmmmm....

Now back to looking at the pros of the Stereo box set....fawk!!

Is this their entire catalog? I'm tempted to buy, but I've spent more than enough money lately.

That first opinion you posted almost makes it seem that mono is clearly the way to go, no matter what stereo benefits are present.

Now that I look at the list of albums on each I see it cannot be the entire catalog, since the lists are different. At least for the mono, which has less albums included.

I'm glad I picked up the Zeppelin SHM box set, but then again I'm a bigger Led Zep fan than a Beatles fan.

You into hi-fi at all, zint?

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Eventually, I will try to get both. Nothing I will give priority to however. There are many other things I'd rather get before.

True Beatles fans would buy both sets.

Dont say things like that! Now I might actually have to do it. :facepalm:

Oh, this whole fricking thing is stressing me the fuck out!

I know!!

I don't know which to go for!

That's a LOT of coin to shell out for a "true" fan to get both!!

fawk!!

Based on the reading I've been doing I'm seriously leaning towards mono...and picking up the ones not included seperately.

But then I read something that sways me to the stereo side.... :shrugs:

True Beatles fans would buy both sets.

Dont say things like that! Now I might actually have to do it. :facepalm:

Oh, this whole fricking thing is stressing me the fuck out!

I know!!

I don't know which to go for!

That's a LOT of coin to shell out for a "true" fan to get both!!

fawk!!

Based on the reading I've been doing I'm seriously leaning towards mono...and picking up the ones not included seperately.

But then I read something that sways me to the stereo side.... :shrugs:

I think i'm just gonna get the mono to start, and go from there if I'm not satisfied.

Whats the difference between mono and stereo?

Stereo you get all of the albums and a DVD of documentaries about the making of each of the albums, plus it costs less.

Mono apparently sounds far superior, costs more and the packaging is mini vinyl replicas, but you don't get all of the albums or the documentaries.

Whats the difference between mono and stereo?

Stereo you get all of the albums and a DVD of documentaries about the making of each of the albums, plus it costs less.

Mono apparently sounds far superior, costs more and the packaging is mini vinyl replicas, but you don't get all of the albums or the documentaries.

No i meant literally, Mono and Stereo, whats the difference between the two entities?