8.8. Earthquake hits Chile

Zint

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devastating. We have a tsunami warning on the east coast of Australia from the earthquakes shock, that's 12000km between countries!. It's predicted that there won't be enormous waves but definitely not fishing weather. Hopefully the destruction isn't even the slightest fraction of the Haiti disaster.

anyone here in the area? With some reports of damage to the roads, bridges buildings etc I guess we will await an update as to GN'R status in the region

From CNN:

Sirens sound across Hawaii, warning of possible tsunami and signaling people in coastal areas to evacuate.
Edited by gunsguy

I think it's going to depend on the condition of the venue and whether there will be power back or not. Also remember the airports are going to be busy 24/7 for a while and all the aftershocks they're still experiencing.

I'm sure the word will be put out soon.

Opinions on whether they should do a show - if everything's good - to go is going to be divided. On one hand, it becomes a welcome distraction for the people there. On the other hand, is it ethical for a rock band from somewhere else to come in and profit in the middle of a catastrophe? I have no opinion either way, it's up to the people there.

This is starting to scare me. It seems the whole world is going to shit, just in time for 2012. At least I saw GNR before it happened..

Try not to stress it, do what you can to help. Natural disasters have gone on for centuries,and the people have been talking about the end since thousands of years ago. My prediction is that we'll never know when the end is, and I'm not going to put my belief in a rock carving and do the countdown for the next 2 years of my life. We improvise, we adapt, we overcome, AND to me the one thing they leave out is that we evolve. I'll just say not to become a slave to convenience and technology, and to be prepared to live "off the grid" just in case... take a course in survival skills and make sure you have everything you need just in case.

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 011

PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS

ISSUED AT 1650Z 27 FEB 2010

THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO AREAS WITHIN AND BORDERING THE PACIFIC

OCEAN AND ADJACENT SEAS...EXCEPT ALASKA...BRITISH COLUMBIA...

WASHINGTON...OREGON AND CALIFORNIA.

... A WIDESPREAD TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT ...

A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR

CHILE / PERU / ECUADOR / COLOMBIA / ANTARCTICA / PANAMA /

COSTA RICA / NICARAGUA / PITCAIRN / HONDURAS / EL SALVADOR /

GUATEMALA / FR. POLYNESIA / MEXICO / COOK ISLANDS / KIRIBATI /

KERMADEC IS / NIUE / NEW ZEALAND / TONGA / AMERICAN SAMOA /

SAMOA / JARVIS IS. / WALLIS-FUTUNA / TOKELAU / FIJI /

AUSTRALIA / HAWAII / PALMYRA IS. / TUVALU / VANUATU /

HOWLAND-BAKER / NEW CALEDONIA / JOHNSTON IS. / SOLOMON IS. /

NAURU / MARSHALL IS. / MIDWAY IS. / KOSRAE / PAPUA NEW GUINEA /

POHNPEI / WAKE IS. / CHUUK / RUSSIA / MARCUS IS. / INDONESIA /

N. MARIANAS / GUAM / YAP / BELAU / JAPAN / PHILIPPINES /

CHINESE TAIPEI

Guest King Of Spades

8.8? dude, Haiti's was 7.0 ... :shock:

my prayers are with them, and i hope to help in any way

signs of the times

Just because this one had more magnitude doesn't mean it has more of a destructive force. It's only a measurement, you could have a 6.0 that is worse then an 8.8. Or you could have an 8.8 mini quake and have no damage done. It all depends with how it hits.

8.8? dude, Haiti's was 7.0 ... :shock:

my prayers are with them, and i hope to help in any way

signs of the times

Just because this one had more magnitude doesn't mean it has more of a destructive force. It's only a measurement, you could have a 6.0 that is worse then an 8.8. Or you could have an 8.8 mini quake and have no damage done. It all depends with how it hits.

Exactly. most geographers think ritcher scale is not very accurate because the destructive power of an earthquake depends on where is located the origin and the meters of deep at that point ...

For that they think we must use another new scale for earthquakes...

I have a question... in case of a tsunami finally happens, at what time is expected?