Setlists......Again

redrum

GNR is playing as many songs from the new album as most bands do for new album tours. Not sure why they stopped playing Scraped and Catcher in South America, both kicked ass when they did them live in Asia/Canada. It would be cool if, when they do Europe and the US, they mix in some shows at smaller venues like Hammerstein and Hammersmith Apollo that are catered to the diehards who want to hear all the CD stuff

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GNR is playing as many songs from the new album as most bands do for new album tours. Not sure why they stopped playing Scraped and Catcher in South America, both kicked ass when they did them live in Asia/Canada. It would be cool if, when they do Europe and the US, they mix in some shows at smaller venues like Hammerstein and Hammersmith Apollo that are catered to the diehards who want to hear all the CD stuff

Again Chinese Democracy, the blues, and madagascar are not new songs since they have been in the set list for ten years.

The set lists do show that this gnr is just a cover band, they would really play AFD songs than chinese democracy songs, that is really sad.

If they ever put out a follow up, I bet they drop CD songs to add songs for the follow up, and they will still be playing 4-6 cd/new album songs and all old songs and I bet the "defenders"

would still be ok with that.

Axl wanted to bury AFD how many years ago??????

Axl must not think the CD songs stand up to the classics, that is why he is not playing them.

You would think Axl would want to show the world how much better CD is than the old bands songs.

I guess he does not think that since he is afraid to play them live

Edited by gnr-dave

What, aside from adding 2-3 more CD songs per night and lengthening the show, would you suggest Dave? When I go to a show I'd prefer to hear more CD but they are playing roughly half the album every night and there are a lot of staples from the catalogue that people expect to hear at a GNR show that they will never remove from the setlist so other than making the shows slightly longer what is your solution?

show me one person that complains after attending any GNR show about a fucking setlist.

c'mon show me one person. dont reply to this if u cant, cuz thats the only way u can prove me wrong.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

So using your logic, since people who did not go to said show (fill in the show) should not be complaining about the set list, I guess people that didn't go to said show (fill in the blank) should not be defending it either or saying it was a good set list.

So using your logic the only people that should be allowed to discuss any given shows are the ones who attended it?

(remember you cannot have it both ways)

See how silly your logic seems now.

Yes you can complain but it's pointless. People attending the shows have a different perspective of the event than someone reading the setlist in a forum. Once you are there the last thing you care about is the setlist

I think what you're missing, Dave, is that people aren't 'defending the setlist' so much as they are railing against the complaints.

When someone attacks something, a supporter's first reaction is going to be "shut the fuck up, here are ten reasons why you're wrong and by the way your mother is a whore."

I can't say that the setlists of any of these shows were above and beyond, I can just say that they all look to have been fantastic concerts.

At any rate, I guess it's obvious you won't be wasting your money going out and enjoying the band anytime soon, so just go and listen to the album. That better?

It has nothing to do with railing against the people that don't like the set lists, it has to do with "defending" Axl and pandering to him because he make a TWEET about the complainers of the set list.

Its funny how no one defended the set lists before Axl said that, but since people know Axl reads the boards they want to kiss his ass by defending the set list.

You know if you went to a show this year and they play the same set list they did in 2002 that you would be disappointed, anyone who claims they would not are lying.

Axls excuse was always they cant play any more new songs until the album drops, well it has now its time to start playing a good chunk of the album.

He was doing it for a while then he went back to the 3-4 cd songs a night, most of which were new songs from the 2002 and even 2006 tour before CD was even released.

The point is you cannot count CD, the blues, Madagascar and even better as new songs since they were staples in the set list befofe the album even came out, three of which were being played 10 years ago.

If I go to a show, i dont want to see the same set list I saw in 2002 or 2006.

If Axl really cared about his fans instead of knocking them he would listen to them.

This current band didnt even write the AFD songs that are so prominent in this set list, you would think they would want to actually play the songs they helped write or played on for CD (yeah BH , brain and robin are gone, but Thal and Frank at least played on a few CD tracks).

I can't s[eak for others, just what I can see. I've not had a problem with any setlist, ever. I know the band's music and I like it. There are VERY few songs in the GNR catalogue that I don't care for, and they don't ever play them... so, yeah. No problem there.

AFD is one of the best rock albums of all time, every song on there is memorable and almost every one of them is a must-play in a concert for GNR fans. Pbviously you don't agree with that, snce you think if they've been playing a song since 2001 it's time to put it on a shelf. Never mind that the general public only heard those tracks for the first time two years ago or less.

Like other posters have noted, they are playing as many new songs or more than other bands with their size of catalogue from the past or present.

As for your "No one cared until Axl tweeted" bullshit - fuck you. When was that Twitter comment made? You don't think there were a dozen threads like this before then? You're just trying to set up a straw man and change your argument to "I just don't go with the crowd, man, I do my own thing."

Of course, you really might be a trend setter... you're the only one here who would rather hear Riad than Sweet Child.

Sometimes I think the Axl fanatics would be happier if we just shut this board down entirely.

According to them - nearly every topic of discussion is off-limits.

-Don't talk about a reunion

-Don't talk about Slash

-Don't talk about Axl's personal life

-Don't talk about Axl's lawsuits

-Don't talk about Axl's hair, weight, clothes, eyes, etc.

-Don't talk about the setlists

-Don't talk about the jams/oxygen breaks

-Don't talk about the late start times

-Don't talk about wanting a new album

What is left to discuss?

Axl's thighs, we can still talk about his thighs, thank the Lord!

What, aside from adding 2-3 more CD songs per night and lengthening the show, would you suggest Dave? When I go to a show I'd prefer to hear more CD but they are playing roughly half the album every night and there are a lot of staples from the catalogue that people expect to hear at a GNR show that they will never remove from the setlist so other than making the shows slightly longer what is your solution?

There is no point to have songs like LALD, out to get me, a drum solo, more cover songs on the show. There are also way too many solos, there is no point in having THREE solo spots in the show.

They could easily fit in 8-10 new songs every night, they were doing it at the start of this tour, so its easily possible. And were any classics missed during those shows? Of course not.

As long as people here wttj, mr brownstone, scom, pc, patience and nov rain, the fans are happy.

And Used To Love Me , Axl said 20 years ago he wanted to bury AFD, and this current band did not even write AFD (yes most did not write CD but this is the CD tour) so why hasnt Axl buried it? The worst thing Axl ever did was kept calling this band guns n roses. It just shows you the entire band is in it for the pay check. That is why BH, Brain and Robin left (the main talent in the new band), because they were tired of it. Brain always said he was bored playing the AFD songs.

A true artist wants to play songs they were a part of (sure its hard with this band) but all of them but DJ at least played a small part in CD, you would think they would want to play most of the album every show, and not the same tired set list they have been playing since 2000 HOB show

Edited by gnr-dave

There is no point to have songs like LALD, out to get me, a drum solo, more cover songs on the show. There are also way too many solos, there is no point in having THREE solo spots in the show.

They could easily fit in 8-10 new songs every night, they were doing it at the start of this tour, so its easily possible. And were any classics missed during those shows? Of course not.

As long as people here wttj, mr brownstone, scom, pc, patience and nov rain, the fans are happy.

The three hour shows?

You expect that every stop?

Look, this is just pointless. You're obviously one of these types who takes every opportunity to bash things. Your use of the term 'cover' just demonstrates that. Because, you know, the fact that Axl wants to play the hit songs he wrote means he's part of a cover band and even if the new guys play the songs very well and have good chemistry, they're still ZOMG NOT SLASH!!!!1!!one!!

There are people in the world who don't spend all day online listening to the subtle differences between Buckehead and DJ Ashba's fret picking styles. Or looking at compilations of Axl pictures before and after 1996 to find photographic proof that he's sadder without Slash in the band.

Those people are probably liking the setlists and the shows just fine.

You have the songs you like. Every one of them has been played live. YouTube them and stop being an argumentative ass.

The three hour shows?

Look, this is just pointless. You're obviously one of these types who takes every opportunity to bash things. Your use of the term 'cover' just demonstrates that. Because, you know, the fact that Axl wants to play the hit songs he wrote means he's part of a cover band and even if the new guys play the songs very well and have good chemistry, they're still ZOMG NOT SLASH!!!!1!!one!!

There are people in the world who don't spend all day online listening to the subtle differences between Buckehead and DJ Ashba's fret picking styles. Or looking at compilations of Axl pictures before and after 1996 to find photographic proof that he's sadder without Slash in the band.

You have the songs you like. Every one of them has been played live. YouTube them and stop being an argumentative ass.

well put man

The three hour shows?

How am I bashing anything? The set lists were great when the tour started, but then they started to get back to the 2006 set lists, how is pointing that out bashing anything?

I dont even care that slash is not in the band I never did. I always said the 2002 version of Gnr was the most talented they ever had. Please check your facts.

You are the one who is getting all pissy, the topic was about the set lists going back to a few new songs, that was the topic, if you did not like that topic, then just dont read the thread its not that difficult.

And Axl does not care if you are defending his speech about people who complain about set lists. So stop thinking he does.

Everyone is allowed to voice their opinion, if you dont like the fact that peoples opinion will differ from yours, that is great, there is a place for that.

HTGTH they will love you over there, any post that is not 100% pro Axl is deleted.

Go over there then. Stop crying because people do not like the set lists.

Edited by gnr-dave

A true artist wants to play songs they were a part of (sure its hard with this band) but all of them but DJ at least played a small part in CD, you would think they would want to play most of the album every show, and not the same tired set list they have been playing since 2000 HOB show

More crap. Now they aren't true ertists, right? Oh, wait, none of those guys were even at the HOB show, so, wait, are they just cover artists or are they enjoying playing songs for the first/second/third times on tour?

[

How am I bashing anything? The set lists were great when the tour started, but then they started to get back to the 2006 set lists, how is pointing that out bashing anything?

I dont even care that slash is not in the band I never did. I always said the 2002 version of Gnr was the most talented they ever had. Please check your facts.

You are the one who is getting all pissy, the topic was about the set lists going back to a few new songs, that was the topic, if you did not like that topic, then just dont read the thread its not that difficult.

And Axl does not care if you are defending his speech about people who complain about set lists. So stop thinking he does.

Everyone is allowed to voice their opinion, if you dont like the fact that peoples opinion will differ from yours, that is great, there is a place for that.

HTGTH they will love you over there, any post that is not 100% pro Axl is deleted.

Wow, you managed to encapsulate EVERY worthless, negative defense possible in one post. You even dragged out GNR STAR's patented "go to HTGTH" remark.

You are absolutely right, though. You have the right to say whatever you want. Then, of course, I have the right to tell you to shut the fuck up. It goes both ways.

Here's what I can gather from you:

- you don't want to hear the old music.

- you think Axl is a piece of shit.

- You don't like the setlists being played.

- All of the musicians in the band are less taltented than those they replaced.

Basically, from what I can tell, you don't like GNR. Maybe you should stop calling yourself "GNR-anything" since the only thing you seem to care for is the (brief) collaboration with Bucket/Brain/Finck. You have the album. You had the HOB show and very, very small subsequent tour. You aren't relevant anymore.

Oh, and your line about Axl caring what I say is just priceless. Maybe Buckethead will send you a free chicken-shit smeared, hand drawn, basement equalized copy of his next 30-song opus of lousy music for that one.

More crap. Now they aren't true ertists, right? Oh, wait, none of those guys were even at the HOB show, so, wait, are they just cover artists or are they enjoying playing songs for the first/second/third times on tour?

[

Wow, you managed to encapsulate EVERY worthless, negative defense possible in one post. You even dragged out GNR STAR's patented "go to HTGTH" remark.

You are absolutely right, though. You have the right to say whatever you want. Then, of course, I have the right to tell you to shut the fuck up. It goes both ways.

Basically, from what I can tell, you don't like GNR. Maybe you should stop calling yourself "GNR-anything" since the only thing you seem to care for is the (brief) collaboration with Bucket/Brain/Finck. You have the album. You had the HOB show and very, very small subsequent tour. You aren't relevant anymore.

Oh, and your line about Axl caring what I say is just priceless. Maybe Buckethead will send you a free chicken-shit smeared, hand drawn, basement equalized copy of his next 30-song opus of lousy music for that one.

I will answer your questions once, then I am done with you since you are trying to take this way off topic.

Did I ever say I didnt want to hear old music? NO, I said I dont want to hear the same tired set list they were playing in 2002 in 2010 since CD came out and they can play more than 3-4 CD songs a night.

Did I ever say Axl is a piece of shit? The guy is an asshole and does not respect his fans, but any Gnr fan will tell you that. That is why most people love him.

No, I dont like the set list being played, that is what this topic was about. They need to get back to playing 8-10 CD songs a night. And that 8-10 isnt really even 8-10 since CD, maddy and the blues are OLD now so that would drop that number done to 5-7 since those songs are basically classics now like the afd songs.

As for all the musicans in the band are less talented than those they replaced.

Ron is not better than BH.

Frank is not even close to being as good as Brain.

DJ is better at playing the AFD songs than Robin but Robin is better at playing the CD stuff, so that is a wash.

And Fortus is better than Paul at playing but Paul is a great song writer.

And I prefer tommy over Duff, Tommy is better than Duff.

The 2002 version of this band was much more talented than the 2010 version, if you really disagree then you are only fooling yourself.

As for you claiming I don't like Gnr, this is NOT GUNS N ROSES, its not even a band anymore. Its just a bunch of hired musicians who can put up with Axl for the time being.

This group is just like NIN, its all Axl and hired hands. The group that wrote CD and its two follow ups are not even here anymore.

Its a joke.

Now its time to get back on topic, if you dont like us talking about the set lists then dont read the thread.

Edited by gnr-dave

[

I will answer your questions once, then I am done with you since you are trying to take this way off topic.

Did I ever say I didnt want to hear old music? NO, I said I dont want to hear the same tired set list they were playing in 2002 in 2010 since CD came out and they can play more than 3-4 CD songs a night.

Did I ever say Axl is a piece of shit? The guy is an asshole and does not respect his fans, but any Gnr fan will tell you that. That is why most people love him.

No, I dont like the set list being played, that is what this topic was about. They need to get back to playing 8-10 CD songs a night. And that 8-10 isnt really even 8-10 since CD, maddy and the blues are OLD now so that would drop that number done to 5-7 since those songs are basically classics now like the afd songs.

DJ is better at playing the AFD songs than Robin but Robin is better at playing the CD stuff, so that is a wash.

The 2002 version of this band was much more talented than the 2010 version, if you really disagree then you are only fooling yourself.

Now its time to get back on topic, if you dont like us talking about the set lists then dont read the thread.

I'm pretty sure, with the exception of the last comment or two, I've been talking about the setlists. At the very least, been responding the the complaints about the setlist.

Also, since we AREN'T on HTGTH like you pointed out, I'm pretty sure I can and will read and respond to anything I feel like. I'm not intruding on your bitchfest, I'm taking part in it.

Someone started a topic bemoaning the fact that GNR is 'only' playing eight or so CD songs in each concert and I'm pointing out how completely childish and brainless that is. You are simply on the pointless/brainless team.

You can try and pretend you haven't bashed things, but anyone reading this can see the things you've had to say: your jabs at the band members, the frontman, the music, etc. You want to hide behind semantics and claim that you didn't SPECIFICALLY say what I mentioned, that's fine. It's plain to see.

The setlists are fine. Every setlist is fine. That's MY opinion. If they played 2-3 more CD songs it would also be fine. If they only played 1-2, it would be fine then, also. If they ONLY played AFD in its entirety, it would still be a great show. Same goes for any album. Or, hell, they could just cover other bands. They could even put on a spoken word performance. I'd go.

I like the music, I like the band, I like the members, I like all of it. I don't care who wrote what part or who played fast or better than who else... I'd go see Velvet Revolver live, too. Or Buckethead. Or any of them - I like the music they play.

YOU though (meaning the 'you' that I imagine you were trying to encapsulate when you said 'us' in your last post) want to have it YOUR way, regardless of anything else. Axl owes you. You made him rich, right? He should do what you want, all the time, because you own him.

You tell me though - the fans made GNR rich, but GNR gave us some of the best music of our lives.

Who owes who?

[

I'm pretty sure, with the exception of the last comment or two, I've been talking about the setlists. At the very least, been responding the the complaints about the setlist.

Also, since we AREN'T on HTGTH like you pointed out, I'm pretty sure I can and will read and respond to anything I feel like. I'm not intruding on your bitchfest, I'm taking part in it.

Someone started a topic bemoaning the fact that GNR is 'only' playing eight or so CD songs in each concert and I'm pointing out how completely childish and brainless that is. You are simply on the pointless/brainless team.

You can try and pretend you haven't bashed things, but anyone reading this can see the things you've had to say: your jabs at the band members, the frontman, the music, etc. You want to hide behind semantics and claim that you didn't SPECIFICALLY say what I mentioned, that's fine. It's plain to see.

The setlists are fine. Every setlist is fine. That's MY opinion. If they played 2-3 more CD songs it would also be fine. If they only played 1-2, it would be fine then, also. If they ONLY played AFD in its entirety, it would still be a great show. Same goes for any album. Or, hell, they could just cover other bands. They could even put on a spoken word performance. I'd go.

I like the music, I like the band, I like the members, I like all of it. I don't care who wrote what part or who played fast or better than who else... I'd go see Velvet Revolver live, too. Or Buckethead. Or any of them - I like the music they play.

YOU though (meaning the 'you' that I imagine you were trying to encapsulate when you said 'us' in your last post) want to have it YOUR way, regardless of anything else. Axl owes you. You made him rich, right? He should do what you want, all the time, because you own him.

You tell me though - the fans made GNR rich, but GNR gave us some of the best music of our lives.

Who owes who?

It's one thing to talk about how you think the set lists are ok, that is not what you are doing.

You are crying about people talking about how they dont like the set lists and calling those people haters or bashers.

If you want to defend the set list choice by all means go ahead, but dont come in this thread and complaining about the people thinking they should be playing more new songs.

But you should do it with out the name calling.

Edited by gnr-dave

Oh my God Dave, how is it that Axl hasn´t hired you to help him decide the setlist the band has to play every night? :lol:

Stop talking bullshit, and saying people support the setlists because Axl reads the forums. People have complained way before Dexter appeared in the forums. Complaining about the setlist is pointless, you are not going to get it changed just because you don´t like it.

I just wonder what the fuck you do in a GNR forum if all you do is complain about everything. Now you complain about the setlist and tomorrow you´ll find another thing to complain. You are one of those who are never happy no matter things go right or wrong.

As for you claiming I don't like Gnr, this is NOT GUNS N ROSES, its not even a band anymore. Its just a bunch of hired musicians who can put up with Axl for the time being.

This group is just like NIN, its all Axl and hired hands. The group that wrote CD and its two follow ups are not even here anymore.

I forgot to address this part. I want you to look at it and realize that everything wrong with you claiming to have a valid opinion of this band is illustrated in just this one paragraph.

Since you clearly just pointed out that you are, in fact, not a fan... why are you here?

Its a joke.

Whatever you think about the band's current dynamic, it is no different than it was in 2002. The only difference is that you liked the musicians involved more then than you do now.

I forgot to address this part. I want you to look at it and realize that everything wrong with you claiming to have a valid opinion of this band is illustrated in just this one paragraph.

Since you clearly just pointed out that you are, in fact, not a fan... why are you here?

If you want to discuss this, go open a thread in the dead horse section and I will be happy to discuss. This thread is about the set lists, lets try and keep in that way, and your little friend black horse and shotguun can join us

Edited by gnr-dave

It's one thing to talk about how you think the set lists are ok, that is not what you are doing.

You are crying about people talking about how they dont like the set lists and calling those people haters or bashers.

If you want to defend the set list choice by all means go ahead, but dont come in this thread and complaining about the people thinking they should be playing more new songs.

Just to be thorough, I reread the last couple of pages' worth of dialogue. I didn't see any name calling, other than you calling Axl an asshole.

Also, it bears pointing out that this post you just made saying I wasn't discussing the setlist is a reply to a post I made full of setlist opinions.

I still don't see what you want here. Even if GNR played the entire album every night you'd still just call them a cover band. You already did.

I think the concerts look like some of the best shows from ANY band in the last ten years. I enjoy every song they are playing and it looks like they are nailing them, for the most part, every night. Everyone in the band is having a blast, they are doing ALL of the things that previously people were crying about them not doing (interacting with the fan base, touring, playing 'surprises' like the secret shows, etc.) and, like I mentioned earlier in the thread, people had been complaining on the LAST tour that the setlist WASN'T staying the same...

People are never happy.

Just to be thorough, I reread the last couple of pages' worth of dialogue. I didn't see any name calling, other than you calling Axl an asshole.

Also, it bears pointing out that this post you just made saying I wasn't discussing the setlist is a reply to a post I made full of setlist opinions.

I still don't see what you want here. Even if GNR played the entire album every night you'd still just call them a cover band. You already did.

I think the concerts look like some of the best shows from ANY band in the last ten years. I enjoy every song they are playing and it looks like they are nailing them, for the most part, every night. Everyone in the band is having a blast, they are doing ALL of the things that previously people were crying about them not doing (interacting with the fan base, touring, playing 'surprises' like the secret shows, etc.) and, like I mentioned earlier in the thread, people had been complaining on the LAST tour that the setlist WASN'T staying the same...

People are never happy.

Since you are not at the shows you really should not be able to comment on how you like the set list or think they were good, if people cannot talk about how they did not like the set list choice.

Its only fair.

The setlists are good.

When I think about seeing GNR in concert, all of these songs come to mind.

Let's face it - they have more old songs than new ones. It would be nice to see them go for Prostitute again, maybe, but either way I'm happy. CD, Shackler's, Sorry, SOD, Better, TIL, TWAT, If The World... they're all getting time to shine.

Since you are not at the shows you really should not be able to comment on how you like the set list or think they were good, if people cannot talk about how they did not like the set list choice.

Its only fair.

Are you going to discuss the setlist or just go off topic?

Edited by Used To Love Me

I'm praying more CD is added to the set list by the time they add a date here, this shits getting crazy.

What is it you want to see, exactly?

As it stands now, the only song you DEFINITELY won't hear is Riad... and you PROBABLY won't hear Prostitute. TWAT and Ctacher are iffy, but they get played from time to time.

The other 10 are pretty much up for grabs as to being played, with some being guaranteed.

well, for some people who didn't even watched them for once in their lives

I think they don't really care for Chinese Democracy, just want to listen the old stuff...

I wouldn't care, I am going to see them with my friends who used to listen GnR at their

prime and I am the only one that is listening them now, so they just want to hear

WTTJ, SCOM, YCBM and etc, they don't even know one song from the new album

well, for some people who didn't even watched them for once in their lives

I think they don't really care for Chinese Democracy, just want to listen the old stuff...

I wouldn't care, I am going to see them with my friends who used to listen GnR at their

prime and I am the only one that is listening them now, so they just want to hear

WTTJ, SCOM, YCBM and etc, they don't even know one song from the new album

Do those same people know Slash won't be playing those classics and that its a bunch of musican's they probably never heard of before?