Setlists......Again

redrum

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys probably gotta take into account the fact gnr keeps playing really late and dont have enough time for all the songs they wanna play

My guess Axl starting late again because he is in South/Central America and the late start fees are cheap(if any) im sure in Europe and U.S he'll start back at the 10:30 times like he was doing earlier in the tour.

I was just joking Dave! I don't need a wall of text to see where you're coming from!

Cool cool.

I can make it short and sweet too.

If you are going to shows in 2002, 2006, 2007, and 2010 and the set lists are all pretty much the same, I am pretty sure said person should have a right to complain about the set list, dont you think?

Also, you dont think the band would get tired of playing the same set list over and over again?

And to me it seems the band always seems to have the most energy and seem to be more into the shows where they are playing a lot of CD songs.

I have to agree there about the basic setlist formula being the same, but the band does play enough CD this time around imo.

CD

Shackler's

Better

SOD

ITW

Sorry

Madagascar

TIL

Those are all played in the majority of shows. That's more than half the album. Lately they haven't been playing Shackler's and TIL as much, but if you watch the videos of Shackler's and KOHD from the SA tour, it's clear that Axl is having trouble hitting the chorus (SR) and final DOOOOR (KOHD) notes like he did on the Asia/Canada tours. He might still have the sore throat that he was talking about earlier in the tour. I fully expect Shack and TIL to be fixtures again shortly.

The basic formula is not the problem, its the number of new songs they are playing that is the problem. If they were playing 8 cd songs a show that would be fine and you would get no complaints from me, even if they were the same 8 songs every show , but some of the shows the number of new songs was dropping to 3 or 4 , which is how many they were playing before the album came out.

8-10 CD songs a show is perfect, but when they start to play 3 or 4 that is when fans have a right to complain.

Dude..get over it, it´s getting old .GNR play what they want to play not what YOU want them to play. It´s not your band for fucks sake :rolleyes:

If you do not want to discuss the set list, then please don't post in the set list thread, you are not adding anything to the topic.

Thanks

What I don´t want to read is your usual crap.You do nothing except complaining over and over and over again and the problem is that you do it everywhere and it is everywhere where I bump into it. You are a pain in the ass and your posts are so fucking tiring :rolleyes::sleeper:

Since you are adding nothing to the thread I am just going to ignore you. Good day.

You expect 8-10 CD songs a day? Well fuck your shit.

Gnr play about 20-22 songs a show on average, you dont think 8-10 of the should not be from chinese democracy since its called the chinese democracy tour?

Nowadays they play around 18 songs a day. 6 of those are CD songs. That's 1 in 3. They have four major albums. Is that not good enough for you?

No, not when 3 of those songs are CD, Madagascar and the Blues, songs they have been playing since 2000. Those are not even considered new songs. They were playing those TEN YEARS AGO. Those three songs fall into the AFD/UYI category.

Edited by gnr-dave

By "new" songs in terms of this tour, we're talking about:-

Shackler's Revenge

If The World

There Was A Time

Catcher In The Rye

Scraped

Sorry

This I Love

Prostitute

(give or take) Better

(give or take) IRS

(give or take) Riad

You're lucky if any two of those are touched during this tour.

that sums up anyone's setlist concerns.

u dont attend a show u shouldn't be complaing. u can, but your wasting your time, considering no one but u and a few other readers will take not of it.

u do attend a show u won't be complaing.

show me one person that complains after attending any GNR show about a fucking setlist.

c'mon show me one person. dont reply to this if u cant, cuz thats the only way u can prove me wrong.

u dont attend a show u shouldn't be complaing. u can, but your wasting your time, considering no one but u and a few other readers will take not of it.

show me one person that complains after attending any GNR show about a fucking setlist.

c'mon show me one person. dont reply to this if u cant, cuz thats the only way u can prove me wrong.

Thanks for posting that link, I was referencing that rant earlier in this thread. :)

So using your logic, since people who did not go to said show (fill in the show) should not be complaining about the set list, I guess people that didn't go to said show (fill in the blank) should not be defending it either or saying it was a good set list.

So using your logic the only people that should be allowed to discuss any given shows are the ones who attended it?

(remember you cannot have it both ways)

See how silly your logic seems now.

Edited by gnr-dave

So using your logic, since people who did not go to said show (fill in the show) should not be complaining about the set list, I guess people that didn't go to said show (fill in the blank) should not be defending it either or saying it was a good set list.

So using your logic the only people that should be allowed to discuss any given shows are the ones who attended it?

You're bitching because GNR isn't playing 10 CD songs out of 18 a night. Don't start talking about logic.

I want all of you who say that "since we are not at the shows the setlist doesn't effect us" to think about it this way:

Imagine that after this tour is over they want to release a DVD or CD of the tour. The DVD would probably be a random show from the tour and the CD would probably be a compilation, right? So lets play the game and pretend they pick one of these past shows as the "Chinese Democracy LIVE in ?????" DVD release and when you go to the store to buy it what is on it? Mostly classic cuts and maybe 4 songs taken out for editing purposes and which ones will be taken out? Not WTTJ they play that every night, it's a hit, and it sounds good - it will be the new songs that haven't been played/sang as often or weren't hits. So you wind up with the Greates Hits Live DVD, not the CD live DVD.

Now what about the "Chinese Democracy World Tour Live" CD? They would pick the best versions of everything so when they want to add "There Was A Time" or "Prostitute" to it, they can't because they may have onl;y recorded 3 versions of each. One may have had drum problems, Axl may have sang the wrong line in another, maybe something is out of tune in another. So what happens? Those songs get the axe and you wind up with a live album that you pretty much already have. I mean if (according to Slash) they couldn't come up with a decent version of "Civil War" to put on Live Era after performing it every night for 2 and a half years....how would they ever find a great version of TWAT?

Just another POV.

I want all of you who say that "since we are not at the shows the setlist doesn't effect us" to think about it this way:

Imagine that after this tour is over they want to release a DVD or CD of the tour. The DVD would probably be a random show from the tour and the CD would probably be a compilation, right? So lets play the game and pretend they pick one of these past shows as the "Chinese Democracy LIVE in ?????" DVD release and when you go to the store to buy it what is on it? Mostly classic cuts and maybe 4 songs taken out for editing purposes and which ones will be taken out? Not WTTJ they play that every night, it's a hit, and it sounds good - it will be the new songs that haven't been played/sang as often or weren't hits. So you wind up with the Greates Hits Live DVD, not the CD live DVD.

Now what about the "Chinese Democracy World Tour Live" CD? They would pick the best versions of everything so when they want to add "There Was A Time" or "Prostitute" to it, they can't because they may have onl;y recorded 3 versions of each. One may have had drum problems, Axl may have sang the wrong line in another, maybe something is out of tune in another. So what happens? Those songs get the axe and you wind up with a live album that you pretty much already have. I mean if (according to Slash) they couldn't come up with a decent version of "Civil War" to put on Live Era after performing it every night for 2 and a half years....how would they ever find a great version of TWAT?

Just another POV.

For TWAT, they could just use the Taipei verses and the Tokyo outro.

I'm not talking about how they sound on Youtube - I am talking about DAT recorded versions and no one on here knows what shows are being recorded to multitrack DAT and which are not. I am not trying to pose a question about which youtube videos, bootleg videos, or soundboards sound okay. It is a question of variety, quality and availability when it comes the time for these releases. Also I was just using TWAT as an example. :)

Didn't that Pooch guy say that the equipment he has allows him to record the audio then transfer it straight into a studio/mixing setting without losing any of the quality? He said something about it all coming full circle. Studio-Live show-Back to studio- Live album- and repeat.

I was just joking Dave! I don't need a wall of text to see where you're coming from!

Cool cool.

If you are going to shows in 2002, 2006, 2007, and 2010 and the set lists are all pretty much the same, I am pretty sure said person should have a right to complain about the set list, dont you think?

Also, you dont think the band would get tired of playing the same set list over and over again?

And to me it seems the band always seems to have the most energy and seem to be more into the shows where they are playing a lot of CD songs.

I have to agree there about the basic setlist formula being the same, but the band does play enough CD this time around imo.

CD

Shackler's

Better

SOD

ITW

Sorry

Madagascar

TIL

Those are all played in the majority of shows. That's more than half the album. Lately they haven't been playing Shackler's and TIL as much, but if you watch the videos of Shackler's and KOHD from the SA tour, it's clear that Axl is having trouble hitting the chorus (SR) and final DOOOOR (KOHD) notes like he did on the Asia/Canada tours. He might still have the sore throat that he was talking about earlier in the tour. I fully expect Shack and TIL to be fixtures again shortly.

The basic formula is not the problem, its the number of new songs they are playing that is the problem. If they were playing 8 cd songs a show that would be fine and you would get no complaints from me, even if they were the same 8 songs every show , but some of the shows the number of new songs was dropping to 3 or 4 , which is how many they were playing before the album came out.

8-10 CD songs a show is perfect, but when they start to play 3 or 4 that is when fans have a right to complain.

Dude..get over it, it´s getting old .GNR play what they want to play not what YOU want them to play. It´s not your band for fucks sake :rolleyes:

If you do not want to discuss the set list, then please don't post in the set list thread, you are not adding anything to the topic.

Thanks

What I don´t want to read is your usual crap.You do nothing except complaining over and over and over again and the problem is that you do it everywhere and it is everywhere where I bump into it. You are a pain in the ass and your posts are so fucking tiring :rolleyes::sleeper:

Since you are adding nothing to the thread I am just going to ignore you. Good day.

You don´t add anything new either or did you think for a moment that your annoying complaints were "adding something new"? :tongue2:

Edited by Black Horse

Cool cool.

Alright Dave, I'll explain to you why you can't complain like this about GNR's setlists.

I seem to recall you highly support a band called Muse. Do you complain of their setlists as well? Personally I hardly complain about GNR setlists because guess what: they change it almost every night, maybe it's minor, but they always swap one song for another, they don't exactly play the same boring setlist everynight, sometimes they'll play Shackler's Revenge, sometimes This I love, sometimes Nightrain will close the show, and so on. Sometimes, they'll play an over 3 hours setlists. Wow did Muse ever do that? Nope.

Axl manages the setlists (with Tommy if I understood correctly) and has been in the band for over 25 years. The setlists have been very different on every era, you can't take that away from them. Muse except in the early years, have not been changing their core setlist between 2003 and 2006 and since 2006 you'll always find New Born, Plug in Baby, Stockholm Syndrome, Knights of Cydonia, Time is running out, Hysteria, Supermassive Black Hole and Map of the problematique played in any Muse show in a setlist of maximum 18 songs (often between 15 and 17, except the stadiums and a Tokyo show in 2007-those lucky bastards- ). This sucks. The majority of the songs they play is always the same, and now with the Resistance tour, I have asked myself: is this the resistance tour? Except from the singles and obvious, they haven't been promoting their albums much, they haven't played I belong to you and Exogenesis II and III. So they have only played 8 out of 11 songs on the albums at best, whereas Guns have played 13 out of 14 Chinese Democracy songs at best. See the difference?

On the Chinese Democracy era, guitar players were changed several times (Fortus replaced Tobias, Ashba replaced Finck, Bumblefoot replaced Buckethead and all of these players weren't changed at the same time, hence they had to rework and get to know each other better instrumentaly every time) so I'm not that surprised the songs remained more or so the same. It's incredible to me that they bothered learning Nice Boys for, and other surprises that are very enjoyable.

Muse have always been Matt, Dom and Chris. Yet they are taking ZERO risk by playing the same songs over and over.

Another thing:Guns N' Roses songs are long and hard to learn for some (the Buckethead parts must have been a pain in the ass to learn for Bumble, and I'm sure Ashba has had his share of hardness to learn with, say, the TIL solo). Muse songs are extremely basic and simple to learn, be it the guitar, piano, bass, or drums. YET, one band changes setlists a bit, the other remains still.

So do me a favour GNR-Dave. I think you're more of a Muse fan than a GNR fan from what I've collected, so go complain to the Muse forums that their setlists SUCK BALLS, and quit bitching on GNR. Thanks.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Yes you can complain but it's pointless. People attending the shows have a different perspective of the event than someone reading the setlist in a forum. Once you are there the last thing you care about is the setlist

You're bitching because GNR isn't playing 10 CD songs out of 18 a night. Don't start talking about logic.

It is called the Chinese Democracy tour is it not?? And when the UYIs came out half the set list was always the UYI songs.

Simple logic states, they would play at least 8-10 songs a night from their new album they are touring off of.

It would have been like in the UYI says Gnr just playing 3-5 UYI songs a night, you really think that would have gone over well back then?

Of course not. They were playing about 8-10 CD songs at the beginning of the tour, and that is how it still should be.

But they dropped the new songs and now are only playing a few,three of which are ten years old songs they were playing before the album even came out.

WE are getting the same set list they were playing in 2002 save a few more songs they added.

You think that is a good thing?

Edited by gnr-dave

It is called the Chinese Democracy tour is it not?? And when the UYIs came out half the set list was always the UYI songs.

Simple logic states, they would play at least 8-10 songs a night from their new album they are touring off of.

UYIs was two albums you know...

Yes you can complain but it's pointless. People attending the shows have a different perspective of the event than someone reading the setlist in a forum. Once you are there the last thing you care about is the setlist

I think what you're missing, Dave, is that people aren't 'defending the setlist' so much as they are railing against the complaints.

When someone attacks something, a supporter's first reaction is going to be "shut the fuck up, here are ten reasons why you're wrong and by the way your mother is a whore."

I can't say that the setlists of any of these shows were above and beyond, I can just say that they all look to have been fantastic concerts.

At any rate, I guess it's obvious you won't be wasting your money going out and enjoying the band anytime soon, so just go and listen to the album. That better?

I think what you're missing, Dave, is that people aren't 'defending the setlist' so much as they are railing against the complaints.

When someone attacks something, a supporter's first reaction is going to be "shut the fuck up, here are ten reasons why you're wrong and by the way your mother is a whore."

I can't say that the setlists of any of these shows were above and beyond, I can just say that they all look to have been fantastic concerts.

At any rate, I guess it's obvious you won't be wasting your money going out and enjoying the band anytime soon, so just go and listen to the album. That better?

It has nothing to do with railing against the people that don't like the set lists, it has to do with "defending" Axl and pandering to him because he make a TWEET about the complainers of the set list.

Its funny how no one defended the set lists before Axl said that, but since people know Axl reads the boards they want to kiss his ass by defending the set list.

You know if you went to a show this year and they play the same set list they did in 2002 that you would be disappointed, anyone who claims they would not are lying.

Axls excuse was always they cant play any more new songs until the album drops, well it has now its time to start playing a good chunk of the album.

He was doing it for a while then he went back to the 3-4 cd songs a night, most of which were new songs from the 2002 and even 2006 tour before CD was even released.

The point is you cannot count CD, the blues, Madagascar and even better as new songs since they were staples in the set list befofe the album even came out, three of which were being played 10 years ago.

If I go to a show, i dont want to see the same set list I saw in 2002 or 2006.

If Axl really cared about his fans instead of knocking them he would listen to them.

This current band didnt even write the AFD songs that are so prominent in this set list, you would think they would want to actually play the songs they helped write or played on for CD (yeah BH , brain and robin are gone, but Thal and Frank at least played on a few CD tracks).

Edited by gnr-dave