Should Chinese Democracy II be called Chinese Democracy II?

ITW 2012

Self titled album is just another open door to take pot shots at the band from the media. It is like everyone wants to see the band continually set itself up for failure by continually doing things that lend themselves to negativity.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it shouldn't be called CDII.

Right when people hear the "Chinese Democracy" part of it, they will be turned off. I mean if they hated Chinese Democracy, why the hell would they want to hear more the same crap?

I liked Chinese Democracy, so I don't have a problem with it, but if Axl was smart, he wouldn't release it as Chinese Democracy...I'm guessing there are several reasons he is calling it CDII though, we've heard many times that he has had many albums worth of material, which was said before CD was released, so it could be that CD isn't a "complete" album, and there is a need for a part two. Also, he might think that by having Chinese Democracy in the title, it will attract more attention, just because the title Chinese Democracy is pretty well known. Last thing, a lot of the songs have to do with China or have references to that area. (Not saying that all those songs were influenced by China) ;) BUT, if it was called something else, some lyrics might need to be changed, as well as song titles.

DID YOU ALL FORGET THE TRILOGY PLAN?

Russian (something) and then German Warfare!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I forgot too.

That wasn't a real plan though, just something the fans came up with. Really lame too.

I sort of liked the idea of different, seperate albums but linked by similar sounding titles. Russian Intrigue sounds a bit better than German Warfare though.

But the way the material was talked about it seemed like it was meant ot be on CD but wasn't ready or chosen, or made the final cut. But songs can probably outlast an era. TIL was around the Illusions and is on CD.

It seems like CD was considered a stand alone record. If they had CD II why didn't Best Buy get in on it, getting an exclusive on this double album, triple album?

I guess they can wrestle back control from the evil multinationals for CD II. Refering to CD as Chinese makes sense as Best Buy is about as close to consumer communism as you can get. Where as CD II could be Democracy, with more control given to the band in how it's promoted, presented.

So, CD I - Chinese, CD II - Democracy. But you could say Disc 1 = Chinese, Disc 2 = Democracy.

They could just re-release CD and promote Disc 2 - videos for Scraped, Sorry, This I Love.

Chinese Democracy: Part Deux.

Batch 2 with a pic of some hatched dinosaur eggs on the front.

I like the Alt artwork with the Rollercoaster. Just slipping in a II but keeping the artwork the same is the classiest thing to do. Maybe change the gold color theme to silver.

Self titled is a dumb idea. All it would get is even more "What the fuck is Axl playing at? This isn't GnR!". Plus self titled albums nearly always indicate the start of a bands career.

I hope it's called something completely new. I suggest "The album to end all albums". I imagine when the album would get released, albums would be an old thing, like dead technology, so it would make sense.

Maybe just CD II available for download.

Sometimes Self titled albums come mid-career, like with Metallica and Pearl Jam? Are they meant to be definitive statements, or rebirths at that point. It makes more sense as the first album. It seems a bit uncreative, like go wild you can come up with any title, no we want to emphasize our band name.

Some suggestions:

"Ride the Apocalypse"

'I suspect"

"Midnight on a Beach in the Mediterranean "

"Another she will anyway..'

'Maybe next time"

"Suede Stars"

"We climb the wreck'

"Wide Eye compromise'

"Streets of Kings"

'Menthol cigarette'

"Fanning the flames of desire"

'Painted pictures to remember"

'The re-enactment's closing in"

Edited by SunnyDRE

Some suggestions:

"Ride the Apocalypse"

'I suspect"

"Midnight on a Beach in the Mediterranean "

"Another she will anyway..'

'Maybe next time"

"Suede Stars"

"We climb the wreck'

"Wide Eye compromise'

"Streets of Kings"

'Menthol cigarette'

"Fanning the flames of desire"

'Painted pictures to remember"

'The re-enactment's closing in"

I can't picture those working on a GN'R album. Maybe on some other bands, but none of those titles sound like something that would work...Chinese Democracy II might just be the best thing for Axl to call it after all.

I think if the songs came from the CD era and are similar to CD in theme, then CD II is fine. If they go in and re-record those songs with Bumble n Dj, then a new title might arise. There must be some wild agressive electronica material that just wasn't right for this record. Was the reaction to Scraped and Shackler's positive enough for them to think GNR fans are ready for it?

Guest RonMexico82

Self-titled is the worst possible choice after Chinese Democracy II. Both just fan the flames of negativity. I wouldn't mind a title that comes from the lyrics of a song on Chinese Democracy though...

GUNS 'N ROSES - HUNGER NEVER FADES

GUNS 'N ROSES - FOR THE BETTERMENT OF EVILS

GUNS 'N ROSES - TOMORROW NEVER COMES

GUNS ' N ROSES - ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

GUNS 'N ROSES - CONFESSIONS TO A CRIME

GUNS 'N ROSES - PERVERSION AND PAIN

I'm sure the original plan was to call it Chinese Democracy II, judging from what Axl has mentioned in the past about multiple albums of material and what Bach said about there being two more albums to follow. This would also be in line with the Illusion albums, the only difference being that the Illusions were released at the same time.

However, at this point I think having "Chinese Democracy" in the title would be a marketing nightmare. Due to the lukewarm response to the first album, it's safe to say that the name would bring negative attention, especially for those who did not like Chinese Democracy. For me personally I could care less what the album is called, but I think from a marketing standpoint it would make a lot more sense to distance itself from Chinese Democracy and be called something else entirely, even if that simply means taking the name from another song. So what if the songs on the album were recorded during the Chinese Democracy sessions? Doesn't mean the album has to be called that. Don't Cry was written before Appetite came out, but they didn't call Use Your Illusion "Appetite 2" because of that.