Do you think Axl should put CD II out the same week as Dre puts out Detox?

ITW 2012

I feel like CD has an extra layer of late 00s. I could even suggest that CD is meant to be somekind of retro 90s/00s album, so it was given time to come up with the definitive statement. A bit like how AFD fused late 80s scene with 70s. CD was 00s scene with the 90s. I might be wrong about that, sometimes I think it's more organic than that. Some of songs to defy a particular era, like Sorry seems like something from the 70s, Catcher is like Lennon meets Queen. This I Love seems like very 70s. GNR have always been out of time, so maybe they didn't set out to make a solely current album. It seems to span decades of rock history, that sets it apart, that hinders it in a way, but it is what it is?

The problem with CD is it tried to mix too many decades in one song. Like CITR for example, when it was very 70s with a touch of synth it was perfect, but then axl had to infuse it with 00s stuff with Ron and it ruined it.

I wonder if better would be more popular with that middle metal part was gone. That kind of takes away from the song IMO. Its very out of place.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like CD has an extra layer of late 00s. I could even suggest that CD is meant to be somekind of retro 90s/00s album, so it was given time to come up with the definitive statement. A bit like how AFD fused late 80s scene with 70s. CD was 00s scene with the 90s. I might be wrong about that, sometimes I think it's more organic than that. Some of songs to defy a particular era, like Sorry seems like something from the 70s, Catcher is like Lennon meets Queen. This I Love seems like very 70s. GNR have always been out of time, so maybe they didn't set out to make a solely current album. It seems to span decades of rock history, that sets it apart, that hinders it in a way, but it is what it is?

The problem with CD is it tried to mix too many decades in one song. Like CITR for example, when it was very 70s with a touch of synth it was perfect, but then axl had to infuse it with 00s stuff with Ron and it ruined it.

I wonder if better would be more popular with that middle metal part was gone. That kind of takes away from the song IMO. Its very out of place.

Better would have kicked some ass if it was the first single.

The Better breakdown for me is a part where I think it could become well known like intro to Jungle. It reminds me of SCOM, Paradise City in a way. On one hand it's not the most commercial song but neither is Jungle. But it has these memorable moments inside a decent tune.

Better has been in the set and the fans that show up at the shows love it.

Edited by wasted

Guest ben9785

I appreciate the idea but just let the album come it in its own time, whenever it is.. doesn't need to compete or stand up against anybody else.. the people who understand it and want to find it will do so when it is available

I can see Better working as a video becos of those fills that Ron does, as in when he does his thing it jumps out and the video could focus on him. There all these parts that a video can use, like the Breakdown, there's a clip on youtube where Axl goes above drum rise to have a ho down with the band, that could be in video. The vid could be like the booklet come to life, without all the typos unless you're a big stunning fan of course.

Guest ben9785

If they are going to do a video for "Better" or any of the other "Chinese Democracy" points, just a live video is good enough, whether it is a live take of "Better" or a montage from their live shows with the studio version of the song playing over it.. forget epic videos or subliminal messages or anything else, just show the band as they are on stage or in a rehearsal room, playing together..

Better would have kicked some ass if it was the first single.

The first single should have been Shackler's the song is very catchy and its pretty close to old school gnr.

Plus it was in rock band.That would be have IMO done the best as first single

this place is gonna get seriously fucked up if these insanity threads start to surface at the tempo they used to...

Yep, if Axl is smart he will put out CD II the week nothing else major is coming out, but the thing about that is, if he does that, and its still not #1 then he will know he is a failure and no one cares.

At least with CD he could say he was 3rd because one of the biggest rappers in the world beat him out and one of the biggests up and coming country singers.

But imagine if he got beat by some no named bands? Then what? I dont see that happening but I wonder if that is going through his mind.

The best time to drop an album IMO is right before the US leg of the tour.

All he needs is one hit single to drive promotion and interest. I'm not sure if he cares about hits though, so it may be a moot point. But if he wants the next album to go anywhere, he needs to start thinking about it.

If that checkmate leaked clip is really legit, judging from the clip, it sounds like classic gnr, they could be a hit but would have to hear more first.

I think the only single that will have success is a classic style single like AFD or YCMB type single

Edited by gnr-dave

I think the only single that will have success is a classic style single like AFD or YCMB type single

Can the new guys write in that style and not have it sound phony?

There's nothing in their collective or individual bodies of work that indicates they have any experience at it...

There's nothing in their collective or individual bodies of work that indicates they have any experience at it...

Ashba

Sixx Am has few songs that remind me of the old band.

DJ wrote some good songs on sixx am, so id say yes

DJ wrote some good songs on sixx am, so id say yes

The way CD was done according to what Dizzy and Tom said, was the initial idea would get presented, and everybody would chip away adding their own stamp on it. I only hope DJ's riffs and ideas don't get too unrecognizable from everyone else's input.

Guest ben9785

my opinion is I don't want them to go back to an 'old sound' or work for a hit single or epic video just to drive interest.. they're not at a loss, people were interested to hear "Chinese Democracy" and go to see the shows.. whether they still wish Slash was there or they don't like the CD songs, they still go to see the show & still bought the album.. there will always be people waiting for more whether to enjoy it or be critical, so let them just keep going with whatever music is ready & hopefully we will hear it in due course.. if others like it or not or if it tops the charts, who cares.. there's enough garbage hyped rubbish out there for people to go crazy about.. so lets just enjoy GNR as they are now....

i'll go back again to the example of "This I Love".. that song is fairly straightforward, easy to catch on to, nice melody etc.. that could easily be popular whether it was stuck in a lame drama or vampire film or whatever and ended up as a hot downloadable ringtone or teens writing the lyrics all over their arms in blood or whatever they do these days.. but I appreciate the fact that its something that can be easily overlooked as a result of where and how it came out, but when people somehow get to it of their own discovery, that will make it all the more worthwhile

thanks for reading

Edited by ben9785

Going back to the old sound would not do it for me. The layed tracks and deepness of CD changed my view of GnR (and music in general) too much for me to accept another AFD or UYI1. I need deepness in music now for me to be satisfied. I can however accept great deepness in playing without multiple tracks. I cant stand no emotion an multiple tracks. For example

This is awesome-Awesome

This is not-Awful

Edited by Cdlove

Guest ben9785

Going back to the old sound would not do it for me. The layed tracks and deepness of CD changed my view of GnR (and music in general) too much for me to accept another AFD or UYI1.

My last post was not biased because of my appreciation for "Chinese Democracy"..

but i have to agree with you there, nothing sounds the same for me since "Chinese Democracy" came out.. i'm sure many will disagree with me, and i'm not saying CD is better than the previous albums or anything, its just my opinion.. CD put together everything i like about music and it's hard to find anything to match it.. anyway this might be better suited to a CD appreciation thread.. but since you mentioned it above, I had to agree

Edited by ben9785